Full Moon Releases Slew Of Remastered Flicks!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

othervoice1 likes this.
  2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I will be picking this one up for sure

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered my copy.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Screenshot 3 is interesting as it looks zoomed in an actually darker than the DVD. Overall I'm surprised how good this looks as I thought the elements may have been lost as it just got put outside on DVD last time it was released.

6. Katatonia

Full Moon usually does good HD transfers, it's just a shame they don't do more justice with their own releases. The 88 Films' transfer/encode takes up more than a single layer just by itself it looks like, and I'll bet Full Moon's domestic bit-rate will be a small fraction of that.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Full Moon's disc should be the pretty much the same bit rate (unless the disc encode changes) since 88 Films just licensed the transfer itself from Full Moon for their release.

8. Katatonia

88 Films' encodes have always been distinct compared to the US Full Moon Blu-ray encodes. Yes they license the transfers, but the raw data they receive from Full Moon is processed into distinct encodes across the sea. It's the same thing with their Troma Blu-rays.

When Full Moon releases a BD-50 disc with a high bit-rate and lossless or uncompressed audio, that'll be a miracle.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I've been checking out the differences of Screenshot 5

[​IMG]

10. Katatonia

The Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama Blu-ray (88 Films) is really grand. The transfer looks amazingly good, with uncompressed 24-bit PCM 5.1 and also the original 2.0. The 5.1 track really has no "rear speaker" action, but makes good use of the LFE channel...it really shakes the floor at times.

The new audio commentary is quite entertaining, with David DeCoteau, Brinke Stevens, and writer Hasenecz. Linnea (mentioned to perhaps appear by phone which never materialized) and Michelle are notably absent, but it's a good commentary regardless.

The gem of the disc is the bonus "making of" documentary feature, which clocks in at nearly 2 hours and 16 minutes. David DeCoteau appears at various times in newly shot footage, but the bulk of the footage comes from "home movies" shot on the original set in 1987. And there is some very interesting stuff there; make-up effects, stunts, the imp puppetry, interviews, etc... And if that wasn't enough, there's an optional "audio commentary" by David DeCoteau for the entire thing. That sounds like it might well be boring, but it's actually extremely interesting and worth listening to. There is never any silence; he talks about his career and the film nonstop and looks out not to repeat things that were mentioned in the main audio commentary.

The other features are a "remastered" HD trailer, and a bonus segment with an unseen Brinke Stevens interview, and a Dukey Flyswatter "Imp" imitation on the set of a later film.

The disc is B "locked" in case anyone is interested. I think it's clear now that all future 88 Films Blu-ray releases of Full Moon films will be region locked.

It'll be interesting in comparison to see if this will be Full Moon's first BD-50, because there is no way (unless they want it to look like crap) that they could fit it all on a BD-25 as the "making of" doc is also 1080p.

^^ If Blu-ray.com is accurate, they've gotten smart (finally) and done just that and gone to uncompressed audio stateside. The user who added that info on there doesn't actually own the disc, so it may not be accurate there. Full Moon don't even list all of the bonus features that are included on the 88 Films release, so who knows.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Zombie Dude and satans-sadists like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I believe you just convinced me to buy the 88 Films release. Once again, your feedback is appreciated!

Katatonia likes this.
  12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I took a look at the edit history on Blu-Ray.com and I don't think the product details for the US release are accurate, yet. It looks like the member that created that entry simply clicked on the "Add new country/edition" link on the UK release, made the necessary changes in the "Title information" section but didn't bother to clear out any of the other any of the other information that would be specific to the 88 Films release.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. Katatonia

Yes, that's immediately what I thought also.

It will be interesting to see just how the US disc actually compares. It really would be a shame if it's not also a BD-50 this time around.

othervoice1 likes this.
  14. Katatonia

It's been confirmed on the Blu-ray.com forum that the US Blu-ray of Sorority Babes only has "lossy" 5.1 and 2.0 Audio, as usual, so 88 Films' release is still the best way to go.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    gobad2003 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

The making of doc has a lot of interesting information, but The way its structured kind of irks me. I wish they would have just included a featurette of david decocteau's reminiscing and another containing al the behind the scenes stuff. Minor quibble though, this is an amazing release

16. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

DVD News Flash reports that Charles Band's Fairytales will come to Blu-ray August 18th!

loutoad23 likes this.
  17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Got the 88Films release of Puppet Master 4&5 and they look really good. I didn't expect them to look as good as they do. The movies themselves are hit and miss. The whole Lord demon has a very corny voice and look but most of the stuff with the actors is shot well and the acting there isn't too bad. The plots a bit all over the place but they're fun films and the last decent Puppet Master movies in my eyes.

loutoad23 and Katatonia like this.
  18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I think Part 5 is the best PM movie of the franchise.

(And 4 is my least favorite of the first 6.)

19. Katatonia

othervoice1 and satans-sadists like this.
  20. Katatonia

Someone posted a BDInfo scan for the US Blu-ray of Sorority Babes on the Blu-ray.com forum:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12518982&postcount=72

The total disc size of the US Blu-ray = 22,736,098,215 bytes
    The total disc size of the UK Blu-ray = 47,259,120,561 bytes

I posted a BDInfo scan for the 88 Films Blu-ray for comparison in that thread also, and you can see there is a huge difference. The US Blu-ray is just a BD-25, and the 88 Films is a BD-50 utilizing more than twice the disc space!

The 2+ hour documentary on the 88 Films release must look substantially better. If you want the best release, the 88 Films Blu-ray is clearly the winner. But just remember it is Region B "locked"