Full Moon to release Mansion of the Doomed and Crash!

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Nov 16, 2014.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

2. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Wanna bet they are all full frame 1 inch masters? Or TV prints, and he will say "oh, it's the directors cut?

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have the R2 DVD of Mansion of the Doomed, which actually has a pretty good transfer sourced from a film print.

The fact that these don't say "Remastered" or anything anywhere would lead me to believe they'll be from old video masters, as usual.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The pics at the bottom appear to be 1.85:1 for Mansion of the Doomed and 2.35:1 for Crash!, but this is Full Moon, so that may mean nothing.

5. Katatonia

I hope they are, but Full Moon aren't exactly known for good DVD quality releases.

At least they're using the original artwork.

6. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Fuck Full Moon. Still pissed at the Tourist Trap fiasco. Guy's a fucking dinosaur - selling VHS quality crap in the age of high definition. Talk about a throwback.

7. Katatonia

Both are for sale on Amazon now it looks like. CB sent out an email earlier with the back covers.

Mansion of the Doomed is listed as 1.33:1, and the only extra is apparently an unrelated trailer.

Crash is listed as 2.35:1 anamorphic, with an audio commentary and vintage video with the Carradine clan.

I ordered Crash, especially since I can't recall ever seeing it before.

I'm not currently bothering with Mansion of the Doomed though, since it's probably no upgrade over my R2 DVD. If I hear the quality is truly "remastered" I might bite later. I'm surprised CB didn't do a commentary for that one, since it was basically his 1st/2nd production. But I guess since he didn't write/direct it...

8. Katatonia

Wow, Crashed! is a really weird 70's movie. :eek: The story makes little sense, but it's fun.

David Carradine as a bookworm, Reggie Nalder as a strangely "uncreepy" swap meet salesman, and José Ferrer as a murderous cripple! And there's literally a ton of car crashes and explosions in the movie (hence the title). Yeah, it's stupid 70's fun.

This is apparently David DeCoteau's favorite movie, and he joins CB on the commentary...which is a blast to listen to. The disc is practically worth it for the commentary alone.

The DVD transfer is actually quite good also. The movie apparently has never had an official home video release, and it appears with a brand new 2.35:1 transfer, progressive encode. I'm sure this is the best the film has ever looked.

Did anybody take a gamble and order Mansion of the Doomed? I'm curious as to how the transfer quality is.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I was going to order Tourist Trap and then I read about that. Glad I didn't! You want to hear something else. They sent out a $10 gift card if you emailed them on Black Friday and they dropped DVD prices to $7.50 and Blu-Rays to $15 yet they were still around $5 and $10 on Amazon and I have Prime so that is free shipping. I figured they gave me that gift card, so I'd order a couple of discs. The shipping came out to the same price as the discs. So I only ordered one DVD, which even after shipping and $10 discount, came out to $4.50, which was around $2 cheaper than the Amazon price with my free shipping.

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Fuck man you did a top notch job selling it. Gonna buy it :banana:

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I know, right?

12. Katatonia

I finally got the Full Moon DVD release of Mansion of the Doomed, cheaply thankfully.

It's pretty disappointing. It's from a PAL source, so there's speed-up issues, with interlacing and compression problems as a result.

I compared it to my R2 DVD and that still has the superior transfer. Actually, I'm pretty sure Full Moon just took that transfer (same running time), and converted it to NTSC (with a lower bit-rate I might add) and poorly recoded it with their logo at the start of the film.

Oh well, at least it has the original artwork. :eek2:

13. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Full Moon is notorious for this kind of shit. At least it was sourced from another DVD and not a straight VHS port like some of his other releases (Best of Sex and Violence is a perfect example). Band is a piece of fucking work. He really is. I'm still trying to figure out how he is still in business.