Geoge Lutz, "Amityville Horror" house owner, has died.

Discussion in 'General' started by Wayne Manor, May 11, 2006.

1. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2006/may/10/05101007...

"LAS VEGAS (AP) - George Lee Lutz, whose brief stay in an Amityville, N.Y., home spawned one of the most famous haunted house stories ever, has died of natural causes. Lutz, a Las Vegas resident, died Monday, his lawyer, Larry Zerner of Los Angeles, confirmed Wednesday. He was 59 years old.

The Clark County coroner listed Lutz' cause of the death as heart disease. Lutz, a former land surveyor, became famous after moving his new bride and three children into a three-story Dutch colonial on Long Island in 1975, about a year after six members of the DeFeo family had been shot and killed in the home. Ronald DeFeo Jr., the eldest son, was convicted of the murders.

The Lutzes lived in the home for 28 days before being driven out by the spirits of the DeFeos, according to Lutz' account. The family's tales of eerie feelings and waking dead became the source for Jay Anson's 1977 book, "The Amityville Horror," along with a 1979 film of the same title and a 2005 movie remake.

The book and movies chronicled the Lutz family's horrors in suburbia, including visions of walls oozing slime, moving furniture, a visit from a demonic pig named Jodie and spontaneous levitation. The franchise made Lutz, who some claimed bore a creepy resemblance to Ronald DeFeo, a cult figure.

Recently, Lutz' story has been challenged by some who accused him of intentionally moving into the home to profit from the DeFeo murders. Lutz stuck by his story.

"People are disrespecting a true story," he told People Magazine last year. "It's my family's story, and it's hurtful."

2. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I never bought into his story but R.I.P. anyway.

So I'm assuming his attorney, Larry Zerner, is the same Zerner from Friday the 13th Part 3, right?

3. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

This one is fuuny to me.I have many Lutz relatives on my fathers side and he still to this day swears that George is a distant relative.
    On that note,as much as I'd like to believe old George,I'd have to say he's full of shit.;)

4. Yes, his attorney was the guy from Friday 3....and I must say that's the way to go, take your lies to the grave with ya. RIP man and thanks for the story, it was entertaining.

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Now they're both gone; Kathy Lutz died in 2004. R.I.P. :(

Now I'm wishing I had stayed for his lecture at Horrorfind Weekend a couple of years ago. Even though I don't believe the story, I'm sure it would have been interesting.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I saw him at horror find weekend a few years ago. He remained extremely passionate about his story to the point of almost breaking down into tears as he recounted it. It was a really interesting listen that gave me goosebumps, RIP George.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

R.I.P.

Whether it was true or not, it made for one hell of a story.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Rest in Peace,Mr. Lutz.

10. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Liar to the very end, eh?

11. JIMX1975

JIMX1975 Member

Is Defeo jr. still alive?

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm pretty sure he's still in jail.

13. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

I actually just finished reading the book. (I know, everybody else read it in 1977. So sue me, I was 2.) It seemed pretty implausible to me, but what do I know?

14. jeffco

jeffco New Member

A&E just showed a special with him in April:

SHOW TITLE:
    First Person Killers: Ronald DeFeo
    CATEGORY:
    Doc
    SYNOPSIS:
    Ronald DeFeo, the man behind the notorious Amityville murders, tells his story in a conversation led by renowned forensic psychiatrist Dr. Dorothy Lewis.

Crappy show. Basically he spends an hour blaming his sister...

15. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I was hoping maybe he'd spill some secrets or tell us the exact truth before he died. Not that I'm calling him a liar, but bedside confessions are always interesting. R.I.P.

16. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

R.i.p.!

17. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I didn't know up until this morning when I read that article somewhere else that he lived right here in Vegas. Eh, I'd rather meet Ron "Butch" DeFeo anyways.

18. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

19. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Just curiuos here, but which book was published first, "Amityville Horror" or "The Shining?"

There are quite a few similarities between the two... Family moves into a haunted location, Dad gets possessed and goes batshit nuts, chasing his terrified family around with an ax. (Yeah, I know in "The Shining" (book) it was a big croquette mallet and changed to an ax by Kubrick.)