George A. Romero's Dawn of The Dead coming from Well Go USA!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Damn that's a lot of money to blow for a pointless 3D conversion. I definitely would prefer a 4k restoration over that.

How do you find the Argento cut? It's good that Midnight Factory have acknowledged the issues and plan to do something about it. Not like Anchor Bay who won't acknowledged the issues their Ghost in the Shell disc has (the whole movie is framed by black borders for god sake! That's a pretty big issue to me).

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The Argento cut has been released in several different countries on blu-ray (Japan and Austria for sure). The Midnight Factory 4K blu-ray was released in Italy in late last year (it features the other two cuts on blu-ray). Hopefully it will look dramatically better when they finish the corrections.

3. Zombie Dude

Haha. I meant how do you like it in comparison to the other cuts? :)

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Probably not. From my understanding it was cobbled together by others using SD footage as primary resources. And because it was unauthorized Rubinstein doesn't like it either; he only wants people using his three approved versions.

It doesn't feel like Argento "got it" and a lot of Romero's humor and characterizations are cut out. Flyboy is more of an out and out asshole. Lots of the favorite little things are gone; probably because Dario didn't catch the Americana of it (nor admittedly would most Europeans). Some sequences are a little confusing if you haven't already seen Romero's cut(s). Like moving the trucks in front of the doors is cut way the hell down and Roger just snaps instead of steadily becoming careless. Also the sequence where they stand on the second floor looking at the zombies locked out: there's no sound of the zombies pounding the glass and no cuts to them for a few minutes. So the audiences doesn't really know what the hell they're talking about, and even when they do finally cut to the zombies it's lost its creepy atmosphere. Little things like that. But if you're familiar with the characters and are more interested in the action than horror it may have its pluses in its brevity. If it had been my first exposure I'd probably consider Dawn disappointing. And this is coming from someone who finds the Cannes cut a bit too much. The Theatrical Cut (Romero's true director cut) is just right for me.

fceurich39 and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Thank you for that. Thay was very in depth and helpful :) Sounds like that cut would be an easy pass for me.
    So Romero considers the theatrical to be his directors cut just like Ridley Scott and Alien?

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I see. I also concur with X-human. Lastly, I prefer the library music to Goblin's soundtrack (heresy, I know).

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, the "Director's Cut" was just a rough cut Romero submitted to make the deadline for Cannes that year while he was still whittling down an assembled cut of all the footage shot. There isn't really much forethought put into it in this regard, so it doesn't even represent what Romero was thinking "artistically" at the time or anything. It's like turning in your school test because your hour's up. Years later Rubinstein still had it and when Director's Cuts were big he jumped on the band wagon and claimed this cut to be a "Director's Cut." Later releases like Anchor Bay's box set reflects that.

Dawn was independently distributed theatrically uncut and Romero got the final cut. After all it wasn't a studio film aiming for an R or anything. So the original theatrical cut is what Romero's calls his personal cut.

And I agree Buck with the use of the excellent Goblin music in the soundtrack on Dawn; it seems out of place. Although admittedly I only heard it mixed with the English dialog which seems to only be the on set sound. None of the English ADR was used in Argento's cut or really much mixing done to it. So it can be a bit overpowering. Obviously it wasn't intended to be used, it was for the European market Italian/German/Spanish/French/etc. Maybe the Italian track has better audio levels? Even still I enjoy it on a CD and play it. But just feels off in Dawn.

Zombie Dude and fceurich39 like this.
  8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

FINALLY. This is the last of the original AB blu-rays that I still own.

9. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

12. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Only thing I can assume is the deal fell apart or hasn't been signed yet, so they can't confirm it. The film is up for license, and Rubenstein is asking a six figure amount for it - which is unheard of for one film - and WellGo was the company who seemed to be willing to put the money up.

It's probably something they can't discuss or publish given that the deal is still early in development... But I certainly wasn't playing into the April Fool's joke myself...

buck135 likes this.
  13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Yes, even if the ink is dry often times they must deny it until an agreed upon time. NotLD is a good example of that. Romero's been insisting on a Blu-ray in the works publicly but officially every company is denying it. That WellGo is trying to smoke out a leak... I wouldn't want to be culpable if it could be traced to me in any form and stay in good graces within the industry... o_O

What's interesting about recent rumors is that, I believe it was, Cliff Mac made some definitive statements that someone had licensed Dawn from Rubinstein. And it wasn't Shout. But that was years ago. I almost wonder if whomever optioned it took a look at the "new" master done for the 3D, said "No fucking way, can we do our own?," was told absolutely not, and so they bailed.

Even the Italian release re-circulated the old masters and only updated what they could do which was Zombi. And I suspect that will puncture a hole in Rubinstein's package deal because nobody wants to throw up his old master of Zombi transfer against the new 4k master.

I don't know... Battle Royale took a long time with similar conditions from Toei. And Toei eventually had to crack from their own demands of a high up front price, theatrical release and 3D. And Toei has stock holders they have to answer to. Rubinstein not so much. But if the 10 million dollar figures are anywhere close to being true, each year makes his total investment more worthless. He's not a billionaire, he can't hold out forever either.

Zombie Dude likes this.