George A. Romero's Night of The Living Dead to receive 4K restoration!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Oct 20, 2016.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

fceurich39 likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Just watched the Criterion release of Night of the Living Dead. For a 50 year old, low budget movie you couldn't ask for a better picture. You could see the blemishes on Judy and Tom's faces. To be fair the last time I saw this film was on DVD in 1994 on probably a 32 inch screen so it would have been much more difficult to notice. Something else I noticed for the first time was in the beginning of the film. When Johnny is fighting with the first ghoul in the cemetery you can clearly see that the ghoul's pants are split in the back. While I still think this is an excellent film it didn't quite hold up to my recollections.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Maybe they were split up the back because his mortician didn't feel like wrestling him into them the normal way. :D

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wait. You haven't watched NOTLD in more than TWENTY FOUR FUCKING YEARS? I can understand going a year or two between screenings of this movie, but 24?

6. russweiss

The pants were only split in the rear like they were too tight and he bent over.

This was my 11th viewing of the film (I'm 52). First saw the film before I was a teenager. Typically I watch around 200 films a year and I like to watch new movies as compared to repeat viewings. There are only a handful of films that I've watched more than a couple of times. Predator is one of my absolute favorite films (I've seen this more than any other movie) but it's been about 6 years since I last saw that. Fortunately with the 4K release right around the corner I'll be seeing it again soon.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I still haven't cracked open my Criterion blu-ray, but at this point I'll probably save it for October.

8. russweiss

I'll be watching the Savini remake either tonight or tomorrow as a follow up. Haven't seen it since the theatrical run.

Natas likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Is that a problem? Last I saw this it was at least 7 years ago and I don't plan on watching it again. Definitely not my cup of tea. I always found it slow.

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I prefer Sevini's version. Movie kicks ass. Sue me lol

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well obviously there's no requirement for how often you watch a movie, and if you don't dig it then you don't have to watch it at all. I'm also with Russ in that I like to see a movie I haven't seen yet, be it new or an old one that escaped my notice. That said, 24 years is a LONG time to go without seeing a favorite, if it is indeed a favorite.

But I also noticed Russ said he last saw the movie in 1994, on DVD. Wait. DVDs weren't AROUND in 1994! Did you mean VHS, or LD?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Zombie Dude

I didn't see Russweiss say it was a favourite of his in that particular post but if it is then I do agree that that's a crazy long time to have not rewatched it.

13. russweiss

Now that you mention that it must have been on laserdisc. I wrote the date I saw the movie but not the medium it was on.

I would have to say that at one time I considered Night to be a "favorite." You don't watch a movie that many times if it isn't. Not sure that I would be able to put it on a favorites list currently though.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. russweiss

I watched the Savini remake today and while I found it entertaining I can't say I personally enjoy it more or think it is better than the original. In one of the interviews Savini himself said that he actually hated the film for a long time (his remake). Part of that was due to all the cuts and limitations that the studio put on him.

Natas and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Yeah I really don't find it that much different to the original. Feels kind of pointless.

16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Oh yeah, no arguments here. I just think Savini's flick is a ton of fun, fantastic zombie movie in my opinion. I also feel it carries a much higher rewatch value compared to Romeros original. But that's just me, completely understand I'm in the minority.