George Romero Slashes CGI, Games, and Hollywood

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Great Romero interview. Well worth reading in its entirety!

3. Rocker416

Rocker416 Member

Absolutely worth the time to read the whole article. Mr. Romero may have ruffled a few people's feathers with some of his comments, but for me, it was great to read something where it seemed as though the subject wasn't holding back his/her real opinions on things.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Man, I didn't want that interview to end! Thanks for the link!! :)

I really do wish Romero had made Resident Evil. Firing him was a big mistake on the studio's part. Anderson's film isn't bad, but Romero's would have been even better. It also would have put him back in the spotlight, much more so than Land of the Dead did, because most of his audience would have been fans of the video game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2007
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was hoping he'd mention the cartoons he was working on, those sounded genius.

I disagree with him that it would be better to rewrite NotLD with the lead being black in mind. What I really like about it is that he's black but as far as the story's concerned it doesn't matter. It's all what the audience reads into it, which is really what race is about.

I think probably my biggest problem with Land of the Dead is that Romero focused too much on a political message being done technically right. So you end up with all too obvious stereotypes of characters and story archs all told in a bland standardized way. To me anyone could have done either Bruiser or Land of the Dead, and for him to say that it's him at the peak of his craft means that he's finally started to believe all those Hollywood yes men.

That's not to say his indie stuff is perfect, but it's far more interesting both as entertainment and as a social message. Land of the Dead... Well I can't really think of any reason to recommend it.

6. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Way to go George!

7. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

that was a great read man. thanks for sharing.

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

"I've read articles that said when [actor] Scott Reiniger dies in "Dawn of the Dead" and [co-star] Ken Foree pops that champagne cork, it's absolute proof they were gay for each other!"

Never heard that analysis before!!!

9. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Land of the Dead rules!

10. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I do re-watch LAND occasionally. I'd put it in about the middle of the pack for George's movies. I still think they really screwed things up by not releasing it in October that year.

I also disagree with Romero about NIGHT...the movie is so much more powerful because it doesn't attempt to have an overt message. The most profound statements in movies are usually unintentional ones.

Agree with him on some of the newer films, also.

11. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Two very different interviews. Carpenter comes across as very lazy (complains about getting up in the morning) and seems to be preoccupied with getting his big fat royalty checks instead of making a new film. I didn't care for his MOH work.

Romero on the other hand seems much more sincere and spirited with a passion to continue his work in the industry.

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Zing.

Great interview, and the writer certainly did his research. Thanks for sharing.