George Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD - general discussion thread (merged threads)

Discussion in 'General' started by highdef, May 30, 2003.

1. highdef

highdef Guest

George Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD

LAND OF THE DEAD, originally titled, DEAD RECKONING, is to be George Romero's 4th and final "Living Dead" installment. He has revised the script and is currently pitching it to several high profile studios. Fox was originally interested in financing it but a
    conflict in terms caused Romero to walk away from the deal. Studio exec's have told Romero that the theatrical cut must earn an "R-rating," with an "unrated director's-cut" following later on dvd. Director John Carpenter has also expressed an interest in financing the picture should yet another "deadlock" arise between Romero and studio exec's. Carpenter would serve as producer and film composer. Maybe LAND OF THE DEAD will get made after all? We'll just have to wait and see.

2. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

That would be cool if Carpenter financed the film. Fuck the studio bullshit and their rating concerns. Besides, I kinda like Carpenter's music.

3. highdef

highdef Guest

Remember that just because Carpenter has expressed an interest in LAND OF THE DEAD doesn't mean that he will actually fund it. It would of course be a great teaming, but the distribution hurdle is still a problem. So far as the title being changed, this was a studio opinion that Romero agreed with.
    Go figure, he actually agreed with something a studio said? Savini has wanted an involvement with this picture from the beginning but has been waiting in the wings for Romero to secure the right financing deal. He knows that George will not compromise the scope of his vision for the final installment,
    unlike what went down with DAY OF THE DEAD. On a final footnote, the upcoming DAY OF THE DEAD SE dvd will feature Romero's "original script" before the film's budget was cut. Anyway, I really hope that LAND OF THE DEAD finally gets made as his current screenplay is absolutely incredible. More news
    will follow...

4. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I've read the dead reckoning script and it is very relieving to know that they are revising it. Although I liked it, there were many scenes that didn't seem to play right. As for land of the dead, I like it, it sounds better. Just the idea of having John Carpenter in the mix for this one gives me the tingles. This story could really be enhanced by a monotone Carpenter soundtrack setting the pace. The only thing that could possibly be cooler than that would be a Raimi/Jackson collaberation.

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ehh I dunno. I'm glad they changed the titled (I hated DEAD RECKONING), but I don't like this new one all that much more. Good to hear they're revising the script though, but I dunno how Carpenter music would feel in a non-Carpenter film. I think it'd clash, but maybe that's just me.

6. Eddie Quist

Eddie Quist Guest

They should take that money they're using to make "Skater Boy" and give it to George. :banana:

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Very cool news. I like the new title, and of course hearing that JC might be involved is a blessing from heaven IMO. Not that Romero really needs any help with his films, but Carpenter can certainly lend a hand with some cash and some music. I think Carpenter's music would suit the DEAD film just perfectly. Think a cross between ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 and PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

8. steve_p

steve_p New Member

I hope this isn't one of those movies. You know the ones they say will come out but never do.

9. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I think Land of the Dead is a better title also. All I've got to say is that I hope this gets off the ground before we'll need to revive Romero as a zombie himself to direct it. Or at least before he's in diapers. :)

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

ala Doom:The Movie.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Damn it, I had my own ideas for a zombie saga and the third part was called Land of the Dead, oh well. Great news, it is a better title (Or I wouldn't have wanted it for my story of course:lol: )

12. Well, revising the script sounds good- especially considering how much Romero's recent Residnet Evil script sucked. I dont know, the last consistenlty good flick Carpenter did was years ago (They Live), Romero too. I'm not one for living in the past; I think thier prime is well behind both of them. Still, a good swan song would be nice. Hope they can pull it off, but I have my doubts.

13. Latency

Latency Guest

what ever happened to the title "Twilight of the Dead" ?? Am i mistaken ? I really liked that one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2003
  14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Or "Midnight of the Dead"!
    Land of ... is pretty cool though, since they used all the day breaks already. Maybe they could go to seasons, "Summer" or "Winter":D
    I do hope this gets made. As for the movies that they say will come out and never do, add Aliens vs. Predator to the list (last I heard it was being filmed, but after waiting 10+ years I don't believe it!)

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I hated the idea of the title being "Twilight of the Dead", Dusk of the Dead is a close second. I think it's a good decision to part away from the "*INSERT TIME OF DAY HERE* of the Dead" theme. It would start to get kind of teadious.

16. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

This news has made my day (even though it probably will never happen)... A team up between Carpenter and Romero would be the shit!

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

This is cool news, but like any rumor, it should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm glad that Romero's changing the name though since there's already a movie called Dead Reckoning. I'd prefer "Land of the Living Dead". It sounds better to my ears. Or better yet, how about "Living Dead EXTREME!" Everything sells better with extreme tagged on! Maybe "Land of the EXTREMEly Dead"? Or just LD-X? That's my choice right there! Studio execs will be banging in the door like, well, a horde of zombies!

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

You have to add the X or Z for the "keepin' it real" feel!
    How about "Living Dead Boyz"? or "Dead Dayz"?
    :D :D :D

19. Latency

Latency Guest

Hey, no one ever thought Freddy vs Jason would ever come out. Sure enough 10 years later it did. Anything can happen. I am sure Romero will make another zombie flick. The guys getting old though so he can't wait too long :). How old is Romero anyways ?

20. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

He was born February 4th 1940.