George Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD - general discussion thread (merged threads)

Discussion in 'General' started by highdef, May 30, 2003.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I guess you didn't hear that SHAWN OF THE DEAD will be getting a second DVD release, --- and LAND has already surpassed DAWN domestically --- so it's not much of a stretch to assume that Universal will probably do the same with LAND.

2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Is that on DVD?

3. maybrick

No, but I'm sure "Lord of the Cock Rings" is. :D

4. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I think Dan was talking about picking that up.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Well to be honest Lord of the Cock Rings left me feeling kind of limp. It was like everyone associated with this movie just couldn't get it up to a quality level. There was not much excitement in this one and the climax was a disappointment. 2 fists down for me.

6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Not even worth a rental. :( Thanks for the, uh, heads up.

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Hmm, when I rent a movie I don't usually watch the extras. I save them until I buy the DVD so there's something fresh to watch. If I don't like the movie, it's a moot point because then I just don't want to waste my time watching the extras.

8. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

That's a good point. I do the same now that I think about it.

9. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I think you mean Land has surpassed Shaun domestically, but it also cost them a lot more money and was an in-house production rather than just a pick-up title like Shaun.

10. maybrick

I don't see what difference that makes. I don't think Universal considers a $15 million budget a "lot" of money (from a studio perspective, probably not much more than they paid for the rights to SHAWN) and since they own LAND OF THE DEAD in it's entirety, they're already set up to make more money from it than SHAWN.

11. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that LOTD has a DVD street date of 10/25 according to the digital bits.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

^^^ Can't wait to see this. I hope they release this to its fullest cut (Director's) and fully load this DVD with lots of extras.

13. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I went and saw it again this Tuesday. I think it held up to a second viewing well, and I'll definitely be getting it on dvd.

14. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Criswell FINALLY sees Land of the Dead!!

I know there are a few Threads to this film already, but i thought it was time for some new input.

Well I was 5 when Night came out........I saw Dawn the first day of it's Aussie release as well as Day. Now it's Land time. 1st Day and there I was there :glasses:

Aside for some very obvious budget issues mostly to do with the underuse of the Dead Reckonings potential, this film was GREAT!!!! Also the Dead Reckoning really needed a full on swarming shot like the Dawn Re-make had.

George has quite simply bitch-slapped the pretenders. Running Zombies?? :fuck: Slow, ponderous and friggin everywhere!!! Man thats the way it would really be like.

And that sweet sweet gore......... :D :D :D What about the tounge being torn out!!! SWEEEET.

Sure it looked pretty cheap in some areas.........for instance there is no way in hell that compound would have withstood the initial Zombie attacks when the attacks would have first started after The Green was set up. It looked like it was strung up by two drunken hobos.

Also......if the Asia Argento character had never been out of the city, how did she know there Baker wanted her to go as he barked instructions to her as he watched the homing screen.........."Turn right at Elm".........where the fuck is Elm?????

Best Shot???? When the fireworks had lost their impact near the end and all the Zombies looked back at the trapped humans.........fucking awesome shot!!!

P.S.........George..........I WANT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  15. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yeah, now that it's actually here, I'm finally starting to get enthused about this and will most likely see it next week (after a Night, Dawn, Day marathon this weekend of course!)

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

www.bloody-disgusting.com reports dvd will have deleted scenes that is the only information they have released so hopefully a unrated dvd will be released on 10-25-05 which is the rumored release date for the dvd

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The extra 6 minutes is just one scene I think, most of the 6 minutes anyway. It was a scene when Leguizamo's character was on his way up to that Dennis Hopper guy's place and some dude had just hung himself on one of the floors along the way. Ya, then the usual dead come back to life bit and he has to handle it. Its in the script. No one was really happy with how it turned out but I read somewhere Romero will put it back in for the DVD release. Some lil bits of gore here and there too.

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

land of the dead has not been confirmed yet but i do think the dvd release date will stick unless it is like universals dawn remake last which got delayed 3 times on dvd

also i do hope an unrated version will come out beings land did not do so well it may not

19. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

From Horror-movies.ca

Both DVDs will be available to own on October 18, 2005. The rated edition (runtime 1 hour 33 minutes) will be available in full frame only, whereas the unrated edition (1 hour 37 minutes) will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. Each will carry English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround tracks.

Extras for the rated/unrated DVDs will include:

Audio Commentary with George Romero, Producer Peter Grumwald and Editor Michael Doherty
    Undead Again: The Making of Land of the Dead featurette
    A Day with the Living Dead featurette
    Deleted scenes
    When Shaun met George featurette.
    The unrated disc will have a little more in the extras department, which will include all of the above, plus:

Bringing the Dead to Life featurette
    Scenes of Carnage feature
    Feature on the Zombie Effects from Green Screen to Finished Scene
    Bringing the Storyboards to Life feature
    Scream Tests: Zombie Casting Call

20. maybrick

It's official: LAND OF THE DEAD has finally grossed more than SHAUN OF THE DEAD in it's theatrical run. The latest update (up to 8/29) is that LAND has made $29,383,516 so far. SHAUN's final take was $29,069,200.