German Horror

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Parasite4202, Jul 21, 2003.

1. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Premutos is a guilty pleasure of mine. Lots of folks knock it due to the cheezy dub job but judging on content alone, it's great! The first time I saw it was in german language with no subs so maybe that helped.

2. Parasite4202

Parasite4202 Guest

Finished watching Nekromantik, and its one of the funniest films I've ever seen. :D

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Wow, NEKROMANTIK creeped me out in quite a few parts. However, the ending made me burst out laughing at first, although my chuckle quickly turned into an awe of disgust.

4. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Nekromantik has one of the best endings ever. I can't wait to see part 2 for the first time this weekend.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

None of you know German Horror until you've seen The Burning Moon. The last 30 minutes are nothing short of jaw-dropping. Too bad the DVD isn't subbed, but you can always find the old Dead Alive VHS for that.

6. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Gah, I really need a new VCR!

7. gorelover

gorelover Guest

Speaking of Olaf Ittenbach, I highly recommend his latest films 'Beyond The Limits' and 'Garden Of Love'. The second one did not get a DVD release yet, and the first one did get an awful treatment (a so-called 'Promo' release) so I wouldn't buy it. To my knowledge, both are supposed to be released in 2004 as SE's.

-gl

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I can't fucking wait to see Beyond the Limits, it just looks outstanding! Garden of Love sounds fun, I don't really like much humor in my horror, but still will get it when it comes around. Still haven't heard jack about Evil Rising... and I want to see Barcelona Babylon sometimes in this lifetime.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This is the only thread on here that I could find Laurin (1989) listed.

I bought the German DVD probably about 15 years ago, and even though it only had the English dub (the German track offered no subtitles) I greatly enjoyed it as an obscure, well-made, creepy little German atmospheric thriller taking place in the early 1900's. It just has that "antique" vibe to it, and a haunting music score.

A new Blu-ray (confirmed as region-free) has just been released in Germany, which thankfully now offers optional English subtitles for the German lossless audio track. It's also a new 2K restoration from the original negatives that looks amazingly good. If I didn't know better, I would have guessed it was a 4K restoration. Regardless, it's leaps and bounds superior to the old non-anamorphic Letterbox DVD. The bonus features are on a separate PAL DVD, unfortunately without English subtitles...but the Deleted Scenes roll is in English. A 20-page booklet is also included, but is fully in German.

I could easily see Criterion releasing the film domestically at some point, as it's very similar to many obscure Euro thrillers they've released in the past.

zbinks likes this.
  10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The trailer for this is beautiful. What the closest comparison to a US film in vibe/tone.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Closest to a US film? Gee, I don't know if anything even comes close that I can really think of offhand. I almost want to say Lady in White to some extent, even though the films are set in different periods and locations. It has a "bizarre" David Lynch tone to it, but also a dreamlike + soundtrack quality something like Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Angelman likes this.