German Suspiria 4-disc release

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Dave, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Anyone getting it? Just came out. 4-disc limited edition. Seems to be around $50-$70 to get it here in the US.

I have the UK release and can likely wait out the Synapse release, which I'm betting is at least a year away.

2. vidjunkie

vidjunkie Team Blu

I will be getting this soon, a friend of mine in Germany has mine now and is going to ship Monday I think, from what I have read it is the best version available to date, we will see what Synapse delivers.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, at $50-$70, just save yourself the double dip since we all know the Synapse release is coming.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I saw this but don't know much about it. What features are on it?

~Matt

5. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Hmmm I'm sure the extras are nice, but I'm going to wait for Synapse's release. I'm pretty sure it'll be the definitive version.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

9. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

I downloaded a full disc rip of the german blu online from a german message board, and let me just tell you it looks REALLY GOOD. this is without a doubt the best version to hit bluray, and probably will be until the synapse release. the color looks amazing, it felt like watching it for the first time again. it's just SO different from any of the previous bluray releases in which the color and contrast were WAAAAAY off. sure, there may still be a few problems with it, but overall this is the best we're gonna get until synapse comes out with their's. also it was confirmed over at bluray.com that the 2.0 stereo track(not the other 2.0 stereo remix track included which itself is just a downmix of the anchor bay audio) is identical sounding to the pcm track found on the laserdisc, and to my ears it sounded virtually the same as well.

10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

*edit* double post

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

From the comments, this German release has it´s own problems.

"
    they didn't create the aliasing. Its part of this old Master. It was sometimes completely hidden and is now visible because of all the color correction and things like that they had to perform.
    Torsten Kaiser from the Restoration Company TLE Films explained all of that in a german message board."

"It's the second half of the film where the master really starts to go haywire. TLE's efforts to fix it can only go so far."

"The teal sky (of 84's version in screenshot 11) is an odd one. Torsten Kaiser defended that recently where he stated, "...by the use of approved 35mm IB Tech Prints as reference stored at the BFI we made absolutely sure shot for shot that the corrections were as close as was technically possible to the original on 35mm Technicolor materials seen in theaters. That, by the way, included the shots with Udo Kier.""

It´s still an old master that they have used, and that "Teal" color is a BIG no-no, so I´ll wait for the Synapse release.
    Might take some time before it arrives, but I´ll bet it´s gonna be worth the wait.

12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Waiting for Synapse. They've never failed me in the beauty of their releases and I have the AB DVD to tide me over. $50-$70 is a lot for a band-aid.

13. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

yeah, I'll await the Synapse release too...

Inferno is a much better film though than Suspiria... (oh, I'm probably going to start a whole new argument now :lol: )

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Really? I found Inferno to be incredibly boring. I guess some people may like Inferno more than Suspiria, but it's definitely not a better film. Lol.

~Matt

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Inferno is perfectly fine, but not nearly in the realm of Suspiria for me. Suspiria was made at such a great point in filmmaking and it has the feel of that mid/late 70s vibe.

I do like the mirror gag in Inferno, though.

16. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

I love the cinematography of both films... but Inferno has a little more 'bite' story wise... I've not watched Suspiria for some time so it'll be nice to revisit once the Synapse release is here. :)