Get lucky on FRIDAY THE 13TH!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Feb 7, 2009.

1. pdw

pdw New Member

I've always liked Part Two... Prolly because it was the first one I saw.

2. pieces35

pieces35 New Member

I am a huge fan of the original, because that is what started the whole FRIDAY THE 13 EXPERIENCE!!!

3. This is a tough one because I think that the first 4 are great and there are other very good ones throughout (except for part 8). But since I have to pick one, I have to say Part 4. Part 4 is the one where all of the elements that made the series so iconic were perfected, it was the first time he wore the hockey mask through the entire movie, he had become more and more unstoppable, and he was given a nemesis that lasted 2 more movies. Also it had one of the best casts with Corey Feldman and who could forget Crispin Glover's character ("Ted! Where's the cork screw?"). Part 4 also marked the return of Tom Savini's awesome effects which were always make a horror film a treat to watch. Aside from all of this I think the Friday 4 marks the end of the glory days of the first wave slasher films as it really was all downhill from there for the genre.

4. killit

killit Active Member

part 7, telekinesis, soap opera actors and a real zombie jason. And boy would those kills have been great, if they hadnt been neutered. Part 2 is second fave, creative kills and a good cast, i especially like the wheelchair guy and his death was great.

5. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Its a toss up between 1 and 2. I will go with 1 since 2 wouldn't exist without it.

6. streetlight

streetlight Member

I would have to go with Part 2 also.

I remember first watching it when I was about 11 years old on some channel from Detroit in the late 1980s, it was not a cable channel, just a regular channel anyone with a tv antenna could get, which kind of surprises me now. Nowadays only cable/satellite stations show 1980s slashers, as far as I know...

I thought it was expertly directed, and it had a very focused storyline. The entire creepy woods atmosphere I found to be very realistic and it made me feel like I was right there with the actors being a part of it. I loved the shocking introduction with the icepick death. Anyway, even though the gore was probably cut (when it was on TV) it was still shocking to me and definitely made me a horror fan. I even found an old pillow cover and cut a hole in it for my own "mask" and wore it around the house.

But yeah, it was shocking and entertained me all the way through, excellent movie

7. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

My favorite is easily Part 2...it feels a lot like a nastier, grittier version of the original, with Jason in place of Mrs. Voorhees. It helps that it doesn't feel dated like the original does. It's also the only film in the series that still managed to creep me out when I revisited them all a few years back...the scene with Jason in that little shed with his mom's head on the altar is quite unsettling.

8. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I love parts 1 and 2, but I think part 4 really nails it for me. It's got a REALLY scary Jason, a good setting, some crazy kills and a great sense of humour. The corkscrew is great, but what about the fat chick getting offed while eating a banana? STILL cracks me up.

9. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Another Friday The 13th Part 2 devotee here. I was about 10, it was the first slasher that I ever saw and it totally traumatised me! I had never seen anything like it - some unstoppable, relentless killing machine picking people off for no apparant reason. The whole tone was just so dark and cold. Even the image on the cover, a simple outline clutching an axe, gave me the chills. And as many have already said, that bag is just sooooo much creepier than the hockey mask.

I remember after watching it, I had to rush outside to the bright warm sunshine and play with the cat, just to return everything to a state of normality and to forget the atrocities I'd seen.

That night - I lay in bed, listening as my parents watched the film. The Manfredini score. The screams. The 'Incy-Wincy Spider'.....it all came back to me....a very, very, long night.

I swore that I'd never watch anything like it again. But what did I know? I was only ten.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Part 2 is my favorite. The first one where out friend Jason is the killer and has some of the most memoriable deaths. Love the creepy factor too.

11. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

My outlook shifts on them, but I love the first four the most.

At the moment, I'm still in love with number one. It has the best atmosphere and pacing (Sean Cunningham really got that "thrill ride" pacing down pat) throughout the series, followed by two, three and four in that order.

So right now. Part 1 is my favorite.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Friday the 13th Part 2. The mask, the mask!!!

13. mrlabrad

mrlabrad New Member

My favorite movie would have to be Friday the 13th PART 2 because it was a pretty scary movie when I watched it as a kid. I love the hockey mask, it's become so iconic to slasher films.

14. Hey all, I'm new.

While my overall posative feelings are loving parts 2, 3 and 4 and even the 'black sheep' of the series that is Part 5 respectiveally, my absolute personal favorite has to be hands down:

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981).

The character of Giny, as played by the always lovely Amy Steel (April Fool's Day, Walk Like a Man) is the series best heroine, who is forced to fight back, breaks cliches by making love to her parter Paul (Johny Furey) but living, and with being an all around likeable presence and with studying psychology in school, makes her thus far the series most interesting character outside of our main antagnosis of Jason, of course.

The first ever apperance of the adult Jason Voorhees so scared me as a child, with his baggy denium jean over alls and flannel shirt and dirty pillow case, that I was him for the next two Halloween's. Watching it on cable in the very late '80s (often Cinemax, Showtime and sometimes HBO it would seem) was such a cathardic experieance for me.

From that moment on in my life, I devoured issue after issue of Fangoria magazine with a subscription from a very young age (thank God for very kind/understanding parents that didn't really care or mind), as well as Starlog and Cinefantastique and the short lived GoreZone years later through convention visits and eBay buying.

From that moment on from seeing Part 2, which was the first in the series that I saw by the way, I myself wanted to pick up a 35mm camera with film in it, and go grab a talented film crew, head off into the vast North American woods and scare others with my own ideas about a project, just as Steve Miner and writer Ron Kurz did to me and millions of others around the world.

I feel that Part 2 has no real short comings, except for some period/dated clothing and some music, and of course, the dreadful MPAA-imposed cuts (which the film makers chouldn't help). I even defend one set piece that many have a problem with, which is the character of Vicky (Lauren-Marie Taylor) heading up stairs while saying "Mark?", the wheel chair bound character. Look at it again, as she is genuineally spooked and is just saying his name downstairs as well as when she ascends, and is wondering simply where everyone suddenly went.

But all that is easily forgiven for such a well made film. I practically applauded the recent Part 2 Deluxe Edition review; everything said was so spot on. I was immdiately transported back to when I wasn't even in double digits, and was curious about all things Jason Voorhees, and was allowed to buy & order my first crummy EP (or was it SP?) mode VHS tapes from Paramount at VHS stores we frequented here in Shreveport and then soon, subburban Jackson, Tennessee.

Everything about Part 2 I feel makes it easily one of the most underrated in not only the Friday cannon, but the Slasher & Giallo film sub-genres as well. From it's fine Harry Manfredinni score (that whole final reel of clashing violins is like grabbing ahold of a live wire to me), to it's leading lady and better assortment of camp counsalers then the first film, to it's scares and first outting for the fitting lead villian, I feel the world of Slashers was never truely the same. Take a look back. It's quite an important film ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

My vote is for the first film. Watched it more than any in the series and just find it to be a good old fashioned slasher flick. Jason's cameo at the end was especially frightening the first time I saw this and in some ways the imagery had a lingering effect. Parts 2 and 3 are also personal favorites.

I've always liked part 6 as well. I'm sure that Alice Cooper doing two songs for the movie has plenty to do with that! :)

16. Spit

Spit Active Member

The 2nd one. I loved the atmosphere of Jason's creepy little shack and shrine complete with mothers head.

17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Friday the 13th: Part 2. It made me shriek three times on the first viewing, and I'm a dude, so that counts for something. ;)

Seriously, it is the scariest in the entire series, partially because of the suspense and shocks generated. The movie knows just how to let Ginny and Jason occupy the same frame and when to cut from one to the other. However, Ginny's approach to the myth of Jason also creates a human angle on what would later be an entirely iconic boogeyman, and that human angle makes Jason creepy.

Friday the 13th: Part 2 also earns points for featuring:

*The most likable of the Friday heroines, the resourceful Ginny.

*The hunkiest of the Friday victims, Mark.

*The best rat scare in any horror film.

*The ever awesome Betsy Palmer, even though she doesn't get to go overboard like she did in the first one.

18. jkirby

jkirby Guest

Part VI definitely

For me, this is a no brainer. I felt #6 was a very well made film - it had scares, humor and my favorite version of Jason. The pace was great and it has high replay value for me. When people ask me "what is so great about these F13 films anyway?" I show them #6.

it stands alone as a good horror film, and - in my humble opinion - is heads and shoulders on all the others.

19. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Pt. 7..The New Blood. My favorite scene was the show down in front of the cabins. Jason looks stunned that somebody would challenge him. Not only is it my favorite F13 entry but also one of my favorite 80's slasher flicks.

20. lakini71

lakini71 New Member

Part 2 is probably my favorite, simply because of Amy Steel's terrific heroine, as well as it's the only entry in the series that actually scared me. It's not my favorite incarnation of Jason, however (doesn't he seem a bit klutzy in this one?)...that honor would go to Part 3.