Get lucky on FRIDAY THE 13TH!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Feb 7, 2009.

1. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I'll say number 2, but it might as well be number 3 or 4. I enjoyed them all pretty much equally. But 2 remains the most memorable, so that's my pick.

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

My favorite Jason movie is Friday the 13th part II, because it's the one film where he doesn't have a hockey mask. Jason with the sack over his head scared the living shit out of me, and it just looks more naturally menacing. The hockey mask has been done to death, no pun intended, but the sack reminds me of the killer in The Town That Dreaded Sundown, and it just creeps me out!!

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

By the time that this sixth entry rolled around in 1986, the series was growing tired (although that doesn't mean I don't love them all). A New Beginning had struck most fans the wrong way and Frank Mancuso, Jr. and Co. were eager to get the real Jason back up on the screen. They made a fine choice, hiring Tom McLoughlin (fresh off of his excellent debut One Dark Night), the best director of the series (followed closely by Joseph Zito). McLoughlin was eager to shake things up, and that's exactly what he did. This entry is probably most remembered for injecting some much needed humor into the series (Rod Hedden would try, and fail, to do the same with Jason Takes Manhattan), which, in my opinion, works extremely well. It's this humor that allows McLoughlin to take a much different approach with this entry. Whereas the previous entries tried to be scary, Jason Lives only concerns itself with being fun. From its summer blockbuster atmosphere (car chases, explosions, action-packed setpieces, its firery finale) to it's slicker look, this film never concerns itself with anything but entertainment. Thom Mathews steps into Corey Feldman and John Shepherd's shoes as the thid Tommy Jarvis and whips them both. He's always the version of the Tommy that I think of, and if they were ever to bring the character back, I say bring him back to play him. Of course, none of this would work, without great kills and a great Jason. C.J. Graham steps into the big guy's shoes and fills them admirably, creating the lumbering zombie Jason that Kane Hodder would later perfect. The kills are also done in the same tongue-in-cheek style as the rest of the film, especially the triple beheading and the sheriff being literally bent in two. All of these things add up to the most re-watchable entry in the series, that can also stand on its own as a great horror flick. This is the first one I saw, and its still my favorite.

4. marcx

marcx New Member

Hmmm...well the first ifs my fave--but since you aksed for favorite Jason movie I am going to say part 4...(Although he looked th ebest in part &, but 4's the better movie)

5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

The Final Chapter features Crispin Glover, and so it gets my vote. I also like the installment where Jason is pretty much hiding in a barn, and everyone just waltzes into the barn one by one to look for the last person who walked into the barn--and they all end up with the same fate. He hardly had to do any work all! I remember watching that one (Part III, maybe?) with a buddy over a few beers, and we laughed at how easy Jason had it.

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Glad to see someone finally gave part 6 some love! I too hold this entry into the series a little higher because Jason Lives was my introduction to the goaltender. I absolutely love the first ten minutes. His Zombie/Frankenstein resurrection is the best!

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think I'll go with Jason Lives. It was witty action packed and the only Friday to actually have kids at the camp.

8. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

For me, I love every one of the Films in the Friday The 13TH Series, so picking one as a Favorite is always Very Hard!! So, I guess you could say, My Favorite, may change from time to time. However, Friday The 13TH Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan holds a Very Special place in my heart, and it is one of my all time Favorites. So, if you asked me to pick a favorite right now, that would be it!! I remember being a kid and seeing the Movie Ad for it, and the idea of Our Favorite Hockey Masked Slasher Jason Voorhees being let loose on New York was an amazing concept!! That Movie Poster with Jason and the back drop of New York still give me chills of excitement to this day because I remember how seeing it for the first time was about when my life long love affair with Horror Movies started!!

It was one of the first Friday Movies that I ever saw, and I remember when I watched it for the first time, I was blown away!! I love everything about this Movie from Jason on the Crusie Ship to when he reaches New York, I love Rennie as the heroine, and I love the Sexy Bad Girl Tamara, and Peter Mark Richman as Rennie's Uncle!! Plus, Jason going one on one with the boxer on the rooftop always remains a standout scene for me!! I may be one of the few who feels this way, but I really love it!! I know it may not be the Goriest or the Scariest but there is something about Friday The 13TH Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan that is Magic for me!! I could watch it all the time, as I could with every Friday Film, and always find something new and exciting to discover!!

9. Magellan

Magellan Guest

Part 6. It has the humor, the wittiness and a very neat, esthetic look to it that I enjoy. It has so many memorable scenes like the intro when maggot faced Jason awakens after being electricuted and the ending when he gets pulled down into the lake again. The cast ensemble is also my favorite. Although taking a more tongue-in-cheek approach it is still a dedicated and honest slasher all the way through. Very well balanced.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

My personal favorite would be Jason Lives. There's the rockin' Alice Cooper tunes, along with a really well-done blend of horror and comedy.

11. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Dude, easy... Part IV because it's got Corey Feldman!

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I was never a big fan of the series. I liked the first two, but every new chapter just darkened the whole series for me. With each installment I just kept waiting for it to push itself into insanity. So for me, Jason X was exactly what I wanted from the series. Seriously.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The original is still my favorite.It sets the tone for the series,introduces the memorable score and features some snazzy death scenes.There's a bit of a giallo feel to it,the unseen killer picking off victims with a variety of weapons etc..The killer's reveal is a great piece of cheesy/fun horror theatrics (''Kill her,Mommy,KILL HER !").Lastly,the big scare at the climax is beautifully shot,the silver water,slow motion,the comforting music....then BAM !!!!!!
    Great fun.

14. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Wow! I can't believe all the love part 2 is getting. It seems to me it wasn't that long ago when a lot of people rated it near the bottom of the pack.

For me it's hard to pick between 1 and 2 because they both have great atmosphere (probably from being filmed in the northeast) and a grittiness that's missing from all the others. Part 1 has what to me are some of the creepiest moments that really hold up today - Ned seeing someone in one of the cabins and going to check it out; Marcie alone in the bathroom; Brenda hearing a child's calls for help; and I know everyone hates this scene but I will never forget the first time I saw the movie just waiting and waiting and waiting for something awful to happen - Alice making instant coffee! AHHH!

As much as I love Part 1 I've still got to go with 2 as it scared me more than any other, it was the first one I ever saw, and Amy Steele's acting is so much more natural than Adrienne King's.

Sometimes I wonder if the scene where Betsy is bitch-slapping Adrienne was not actually in the script but an off camera moment where Betsy was fed up with Adrienne's lack of talent and simply trying to help get her into the moment. I'm guessing Sean Cunningham saw how great it was, started rolling and inserted it into the final film.

15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

A New Beginning is my favorite. It is by far the creepiest of the lot. There's something about the atmosphere in this film that just feels... off. I think the area it was shot in is the most atmospheric of the series. This is probably the most bizarre entry too, and I like that. The characters are great. From the quirky halfway house residents to the wacky Demon, to the crazed backwoods hicks, this film's characters are very entertaining. I also like the direction in which they took Tommy's character, having all these mental problems and hallucinations thanks to Mr. Voorhees. It's a crying shame that they didn't continue with this in the disappointing Jason Lives (the eighth film is the nadir of the series, but this one is certainly low on the list).

In a franchise that thrives on innovative death scenes, I think this film has some of the most original kills in the series. A leather strap crushing someone's head against a tree, a road flare to the mouth, a cleaver decapition while riding a motorbike, etc. I also love the fact that the killer is copycat, Roy. Its a nice, refreshing take, and I think having chocolate bar boy be his son was a nice twist. I always liked how he killed everyone but his son's killer too, though I'm sure he couldn't get to him.

Anyway, I think the series peaked with the third, fourth and fifth entries. These are my three favorite films in the series, and the ones I come back to most frequently.

16. adric

adric New Member

my favorite would be Friday VI: jason lives, for the ridiculous kills and alice cooper soundtrack.

17. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

The first one. It’s well made, has a strong central performance, and Jason’s Mom has way more personality than her son. I wonder how well she would have sported a hockey mask? Also, some actual thought went into the story. I think part II is the only movie in history to have a character avenging the death of his mother who died avenging his death.

18. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I like part V the best. Miguel A. Nunez Jr. for the win!

19. scaryguy88

scaryguy88 New Member

part 2, because of the potato sack.

20. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The first two are the best for me. If I had to pick one it would be part 1, but part 2 is a very close second.