Giallo Collection - Rank'em

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Reverenddave, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I just got finished watching all four movies, and while they were all good, I liked some better than others. Here's my ranking:

1. The Case Of The Bloody Iris
    2. Who Saw Her Die?
    3. Short Night Of The Glass Dolls
    4. The Bloodstained Shadow
      [/list=1]

How would you rank them?

2. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

the only one i liked was The Case of the Bloody Iris

i was disappointed with all the rest

3. Trout

Trout Guest

I'm only about halfway through Bloody Iris and I think it is pretty bad so far (the print look crappy in parts too). Who saw her die wasn't too bad, but it lacked something. Glass dolls was good, but it got really strange. I didn't watch Bloodstained shadow yet.

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Guest

Well I suppose that giallos are an aquired taste!

My opinion for what its worth

1.Who Saw her Die-one of the best giallos ever made in my opinion
    2.Short Night of the Glass Dolls
    3.Case of the Bloody Iris
    4.Bloodstained Shadow(the worst of the four,but still a damn fine film)
    As far as Im concerned all four are excellent films,and this package is fantastic value for money.I suppose the leisurely pace of the first two titles might be a bit off putting for some,but sometimes these films improve dramatically on second viewing when you can sit back and admire the intelligent writing and chuckle at the ambitious plot twists!

5. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

1. Case of the Bloody Iris
    2. Short Night of Glass Dolls
    3. Who Saw Her Die?
    4. Bloodstained Shadow

Overall, I really like the box set. I do have one complaint, however. Why was the Italian track omitted from all of the films? I, for one, prefer to watch films in their original language because the translation and dubbing of these films are usually atrocious and they make the film seem silly at times. Oh well, I still enjoyed them.

6. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

ha, to me the bad dubbing acutally adds to these films!

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Let's see:

1) Bloody Iris (sheerly for the cinematography!)
    2) Who Saw her Die (for killing a kid!)
    3) Glass Dolls (for old fogeys getting it on!)
    4) Shadow (of the bunch it's least memorable. Goblin is always good though!)

It should be known that when it comes to a lot of Euro-films, the dialog is overdubbed so it can be shown in multiple countries and because many of the casts are multi-national. An English soundtrack is just as viable as any other. Don't forget that even though Who Saw Her Die? is an Italian production, the star, George Lazenby, is Australian and speaks English.

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Guest

Yep-I know that,but the fact is that at least two of these films are infinitely better in their original language(Short Night and Case of the Bloody Iris).I cant comment on the other two because Ive only seen the English dubs,but how much of a problem would it have been for us to at least have the choice of which version we watch?

9. Who Saw Her Die? (absolutely perfect)
    Case of the Bloody Iris (great fun, but sillier than Who Saw Her Die?)
    Bloodstained Shadow (typical/predictable but well exectued)
    Short Night of the Glass Dolls (fantastic idea, neat direction, but boring, no tension)

10. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

More on the language thing...

I know that these films have an international cast and that they are dubbed in all languages, including Itlaian. However, the films that take place in Italy and have an obvious cultural element to them should definitely be in Italian. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with "Don't Torture a Duckling". It was so out of place to hear old Italian peasant women speaking English. Films like that, "Who Saw Her Die?", and "Case of the Bloody Iris" really do need the Italian track.

Some films, like "Short Night of Glass Dolls", "Solange", and "The Beyond" are probably better in English since they don't take place in Italy.

Anyway, DVD gives us the opportunity to choose and the companies releasing these films should support it.

11. maybrick

You guys are also making the assumption that alternate soundtracks are readily available. Trust me, if companies like Anchor Bay have access to them, they will include them. Sometimes the cost benefit of dealing with overseas film distributors to get their hands on bonus material isn't worth the time or effort.
    Sigh. Just one more example of how spoiled people have become since the advent of DVD. :rolleyes:

12. yxz54

yxz54 Guest

All except for the last bit of dialogue.......sheeesh what a cop-out.

Scott

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Short Night of Glass Dolls was at times slow moving, but after watching it, I had fond feelings for the film. It was very original and had some excellent production values. I really want to see Who Saw Her Die? I think I may just run out and buy it.

As far as the dubbing issue is concerned, I am big with preserving the directors vision in film, be it keeping the OAR or viewing the Director's Cut, but subtitles are one thing I am slightly split on. I'd rather here a film in its original language (Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht for example), but I think that subtitling takes away from the impact of the visuals. Scenes in all films are composed with primary and subsidiary contrasts (the brightest focal point is where the eyes view first, then they scan the darkest color), and when subtitles are placed on the screen, the eye immediately falls upon them, therefore skewing the impact of the film visually the same as one’s experience would be altered by dubbing the audio.

So in other words, if it is dubbed then the visual aspect of the film is not affected, but the auditory element is altered. By subtitling, the visual portion of the film is hampered, while the audio remains true to the nature of the film. One compensation for the other. For me it is a touchy subject, one that I find myself constantly changing my stance on. I guess taking into account the intensions of the filmmaker (some films are clearly meant to be visual, while others have a deeper focus on dialogue and social relations) and the amount of dialogue versus the amount of cinematography in a film. Hmph.

14. maybrick

It's interesting that you use Nosferatu as an example, because that movie is more or less an anomaly and doesn't really suit the argument you're making. When shooting Nosferatu, Herzog shot each scene twice: once in English and once in German. Neither version is dubbed. Each language is as valid as the other.

This is pretty much my point. I prefer it if a DVD has the original language included when there is one. But in many cases, these movies were always intended for release in the US, that's why many of them have Americans as stars. Italian films use so many interational actors speaking different language that even the "original" Italian soundtrack is dubbed. So in the end, it doesn't make that big of a difference (although to be fair, I think most English voice actors suck at their job and would prefer the italian soundtrack, regardless of my previous arguments).

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

Nosferatu was the first that came to mind, but it is still legitimate. The English version was dubbed over after, seeing as none of the actors knew how to speak the English language. They were merely saying their lines in very broken English, so when it was dubbed it did not look fake. For a person like myself, I watch Phantom Der Nacht with subtitles in the German language, or The Vampyre with the English dubbing. So such an analogy supports my statements that one version affects Herzog's auditory vision, while the other impedes his visuals.

16. maybrick

If you're going to go down that road, Rhett, I might as well mention that up to 85% of all dialogue in every film has come out in the past 20 years has been overdubbed for one reason or another. The fact that they redubbed the voices later on Nosferatu is nothing unusual and might have been done anyways had the actors spoken fluent English to begin with.

Depending which mood I'm in, I'll watch either or. I forget which one, but one Nosferatu is several minutes longer. It's been a while since I've seen it.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

But 85% of the movies aren't overdubbed by other actors like in Nosferatu. ;)

18. monkeyman

monkeyman Guest

Just two points here!
    1.Ive seen the Italian print of Short Night of the Glass Dolls with English Subs and it plays substantially better than the English Dub version.If this was freely available(and the fact that UK channel Film 4 played this version suggests that it is) I dont see the problem of giving us a choice which version we prefer.

2.Would a "serious "film fan accept a dubbed version of Cinema Paradiso(after all,the bulk of the films watched by the projectionist and his protege are American)
    I suspect not!!!

I want to reiterate that I am not knocking Anchor Bay!!
    I am amazed and delighted that these four films are available on DVD,but I just think that with a little bit more foresight they could have been the ultimate releases of three fantastic films and one very good one.

19. Subtitling is a bit of an anomaly. The norm it seems, in most countries, is to have a film dubbed. In the case of Gialli and Spaghetti Westerns it was the directors intention or assumption ( they were filming without sound most of the time) that the films would be dubbed, so its not like we are being cheated exactly. Just because they were made in Italy doesnt mean they were intended to be in Italian language everywhere- everyone making the film knew it would get dubbed. I watch a lot of old kung fu too, and often they were always dubbed instead of subbed... All in all, I think if its a case where if you can find a subtitled version, if it does exist, then by all means go for it, include it as an option. Otherwise, I say don’t bother. After all, its part of being a true fan, and we all (most of us, anyway) fell in love with them dubbed, so thats just part of the genre.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2002
  20. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

1. Case of the Bloody Iris (all around great)

2. Who Saw Her Die (great 1st half but second half was a little weak, still very good)

3. Bloodstained Shadow(I really enjoyed this one, i was not expecting it to be good and well I thought it was)

4. Short Night of Glass Dolls(I really did not like this one, to me it's not a giallo and the ending was really fucked up)

I really hope the Giallo Collection sells well so that AB will do another one.