Giallo Collection - Rank'em

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Reverenddave, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Wermode

Wermode New Member

I know this helps stray a bit off topic, but an excellent recent example of how dubbing changes a film is illustrated by Deep in the Woods. In French, IMHO it's a fine film, inventive and full of tension. In English, it comes off fairly cheap and hackneyed. I was surprised at the difference, and it's not just the acting; ambient sounds, effects, etc. are different.

2. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I felt excactly the same way with <B>Cronos</B> and many other films. <B>Cronos</B> for one was severely hampered by the dubbing.

3. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I just have to say that I am shocked that the "to have the original track or not" is even an issue here. Anyone into film should want the original language track regardless of what the norm in most countries are. Unfortunately, most people want to take the path of least resistance - why read subtitles if you don't have to? I'm sorry, but that's absurd.

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Maybe some of us realize that the director's know that this is a visual medium. More than half of the films from Europe focus on style and the actual picture far more than how the actor's are speaking. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind subtitles, but it does take away from the visual trickery that some scenes can have. Seeing white or yellow block letters towards the bottom of the frame of the film can sometimes ruin the "magic" that many of our favorites have.

5. Wermode

Wermode New Member

Also, as people have mentioned, there is no "original" audio track to many films, just as there is no original language to a film such as "Whip and the Body" or "Blood and Black Lace," where actors came from all over the world and all releases were dubbed.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah, but I didn't mention it because even though that is the case sometimes, many films still make more sense in their original intended language. There are some jokes and whatnot that just don't translate well.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Watch Suspiria, or any Argento film and try telling me that the dialogue is as important as the visuals. Argento is 95% visual style, and therefore the majority of one's attention should be focussed on the visuals rather than reading subtitles. For Suspiria, seeing as the plot is fairly mundane, and that the film functions like a visual dream, a dub track should in many ways be preferred. Reading subtitles, subconscious or not, does take away from the visual impact of the film, and I completely agree with Andy that film is a visual medium and that Euro films in particular focus more oftehn than not on style over substance.

Like I have said earlier, I think subtitles and dubbing should be taken with caution and insight. If the film is all about visuals, go with the dub, if it is about the characters and intense dialogue, go with the original language.

I guess the best alternative would be to learn how to speak all the European languages so we woudln't have the need for subtitles. :D

8. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I totally understand what you guys are saying. However, film is not only a visual medium because there is sound. In some cases the sound is just as important as the visuals. To me, and many others, sound and dialogue is important to all films, unless they are silent. Some people disagree and that's fine too. We should be able to choose, however.

<B>Suspiria</B> is meant to be viewed in English, by the way. So is <B>What have They Done to Solange?</B>

Here's something to think about: Would <B>Suspiria</B> be just as good if the Goblin soundtrack was replaced by ABBA music? The visuals are still intact!

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ahh, point well taken. But still, musical scores and dialogue are two different birds. In my opinion, for the most part, as long as I know what the characters are saying, I'm fine with it. I'm not saying that's the case all the time, as some European films have very important conversations and are very dialogue-heavy, it's just that many of the films I'm watching (this GIALLO COLLECTION included) wouldn't IMO benefit from subtitles.

Back to the original topic (but in no way dismissing the other one), I watched the first 50 minutes of THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW last night, and I really think it's underrated. Unless it turns to shit in the last 40. I'm 99% sure I know who the killer is though :D . Oh yeah, and the insert (I'm guessing the original poster art) is the coolest fucking picture I've seen in a long time! Very subtle but very cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2002
  10. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I agree, I really loved THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW i thought it was very good. I didn't guessed the killer untill the last 10-15 mins of the movie(i am a little slow when it comes to suspecting a killer:D). I also loved the insert, it was so simple but effective very cool!

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

God, I really feel like I'm posting just to run up my numbers, but I noticed this. Cydeous - you said CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS really should be in Italian, but I whole-heartedly disagree. I swear, if I didn't know any better I'd say it took place in New York or Chicago. There aren't any beautiful countrysides, or the fucking Venice canals (BLOODSTAINED SHADOW) which are a huge Italian landmark (maybe that's not exactly what you'd call it, but you know what I mean), just a big city. That one was the only one I can't really see people complaining about the dub in, but obviously we have very different views on this subject :).

12. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

AndrewBBD: You're right about the setting of <B>Case of the Bloody Iris</B>. In that case the Italian culture / setting isn't showcased. I guess that's why Argento's eary gialli can be in English as well. I guess that the problem that I have are with films like <B>Don't Torture a Duckling</B>, which really should be in Italian. It's a great film regardless but, IMO, would greatly improve in it's original language. It doesn't help that I am Italian and these things stick out all the more.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

That's cool man, I totally see why you'd have a problem with DUCKLING. Haven't seen it myself yet, but know enough about it. It's high up on my list, and probably will be the next thing I order. On another note, scratch my comment about THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW and the Venitian canals - I was wrong. Bido said himself in the interview that it wasn't Venice, but he did intend it to be a small city like Venice. I was wrong about the killer too. But.....***SPOILERS***

Dammit, I thought it was Stefano! I mean, it was so perfect! The murders just started to happen when he got there, we never saw him investigating on his own (till like an hour in, that's where I gave up), he saw the murder so he could have been traumatized as a child and copycatted him (as he kept pointing to the original murderer as a diverstion), damn it was so perfect, but I guess not. It was good, just coulda been better. Stefania Casini's was a really uneven character IMO. One minute she wanted to be with Stefano, the next she didn't. It kinda bugged me, so I thought something was going on with her, but I guess not. And also, she's really hot, but one thing I saw was pretty damn gross. Call me a "new fangled kid" or whatever, but man she had fucking pit hair! That was just sick! Ahhh......sorry. It just grossed me out cuz she was so beautiful till she.....ugh......nevermind.

***END SPOILERS***

It was a good flick though, and I'm more than happy with the giallo collection.

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The Bloodstained Shadow - 4/5
    The Case of the Bloody Iris - 3.5/5
    Who Saw Her Die? - 2.5/5
    Short Night of Glass Dolls - 2.5/5

I seem to be the only one who thinks so highly of The Bloodstained Shadow. :(

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sorry, does not compute :D

I thought they were all very worthy indeed. I don't understand the dislike for "The Bloodstained Shadow" either, Ryan. I truly enjoyed each of these, even if they are each different from the other. I give them all a 4 :)

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I didn't care much for Short Night... it was much too convoluted for my taste.

17. de rossi

de rossi Guest

1. Case of the Bloody Iris
    2. Short Night of Glass Dolls
    3. Who Saw Her Die?
    4. Bloodstained Shadow

18. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Short Night of Glass Dolls was a sleeper, the only good thing in that entire movie was the ending. And that scene where the old people get it on was just down right sick and nasty. That's proberly the reason why you rank it so high, de rossi. :)

19. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

What other films have been like this, because I try to look for the orginial tracks on other dvds and can't seem to find them. One I've been looking for the longest is House By The Cemetary, GOD I HATE BOB!!!

20. de rossi

de rossi Guest

Yep, you got me there! I Have watched that sequence over 2000 times. :D