Giallo Collection - Rank'em

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Reverenddave, Jul 3, 2002.

1. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

2. meddle

meddle Member

Case of the Bloody Iris: 5/5
    Who Saw Her Die?: 5/5
    Short Night of Glass Dolls: 4.5/5
    Bloodstained Shadow: 3/5

3. Tye

Tye New Member

My Ranking:
    1. Case of the Bloody Iris
    2. Short Night of Glass Dolls
    3. Who Saw Her Die?
    4. The Bloodstained Shadow (awful, in my opinion)

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Finally got a chance to watch them all my ranking would be

1. Case of the Bloody Iris (a classy yet sleazy film all at the same time)
    2. Saw Her Die? (A chilling mystery chiller, a close second)
    3. Bloodstained Shadow (overall solid giallo)
    4. Short Night of Glass Dolls (uneven but still worth a look)

5. Funktion

Funktion Member

Try watching Non Ho Sonno (aka Sleepless) with the English track, and then watch it with the Italian track and English subtitles and tell me if it doesn't matter.

I don't know about you, but I consider the audio as import as the visuals in a film. Sometimes the soundtrack/dubbing totally ruins the "ambience" of a film, the same way some visuals wouldn't work without the use of a certain soundtrack.
    When I watch a film like In The Mood For Love, from director Wong Kar-Wai, it works because not only is it visually breathtaking but also the soundtrack complements it perfectly (some of the best scenes in the film don't have dialogues, just music). Would I enjoy the film if I watched a dubbed version? No, it would totally ruin the "mood" of the film.

I can't stand to watch dubbed films, anime, ...
    When a director casts someone it's also because of their voice. I know in the case of lots of Italian productions of the time there isn't really an "original" audio track, since these productions usually featured a multi-language cast, but it's easy to see that usually the english dubbing of the non-english speaking actors was terrible. In these cases I usually prefer the Italian audio track, since it usually features the original voice of most of the cast. Take the example I mentioned above, the English audio track of Non Ho Sonno has Max von Sydow's voice, and pretty much everyone else is dubbed; this track totally ruins the film, the dubbing completely ruins any scenes of tension within the film. The Italian audio track has Max von Sydow's character dubbed, but it's a totally different beast.

I just wish some companies would give us multiple audio tracks and english subtitles.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I hate dubbing too. It really does change the tone of the Film. I find it funny when I hear people after watching a dubbed film say "what cheesy acting" Yeah to bad you never actually heard the actors act dumb ass. I find the only films I can bare them in are the Italian ones, just because they do tend to be more visually oriented and allot of the time, there is no official language to them.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I think all DVD's should include the original langauge track, no doubt.

However, let me offer a slightly different view. I've watched the dubbed version of Tenebrae for many years. When I finally got the DVD with the Italian track, I tried that. Sorry, I couldn't get on with it at all. I actually prefer the dubbed version. There are some other films - The Beyond, House by the Cemetary......

8. sacateca

sacateca Guest

For me Short Night of Glass Dolls was the only one any good, all the rest absolute rubbish.

9. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Yeah,you gotta love Bob![​IMG]

This whole rating stuff is nothing for me.I like all four of these films.And every time I watch them I find my opinions change.
    First time I saw Who Saw Her Die I didn't know what to think.But now I rate it as high as I rate Solange,and that's very high.

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

But, once again, every version of Tenebrae IS A DUBBED VERSION, whether it be Italian, English, Spanish, French, or whatever (I don't know how many different audio tracks there are for this film). I WOULD really like to see the Italian version of The Stendhal Syndrome though as it uses Asia's voice, unlike the shitty as Troma release (still, gotta love Troma), and actually, probably most of Argento's movies after Trauma I would probably prefer the Italian track. I usually don't care too much though for Italian movies because, as previously stated a billion times, there is no original language (at least in the horror genre). Don't get me wrong, there is no way you'd catch me watching Fellini dubbed (if there is such a thing)!

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Hmm your favourite was my weakest. I thought the rest were great, but Short Night I thought, although at times interesting, overall kinda silly and uneven. To each his own so they say.

12. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

Case of the Bloody Iris
    Who Saw Her Die?
    Short Night of Glass Dolls
    The Bloodstained Shadow

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

1: Who Saw Her Die?
    2: Short Night of the Glass Dolls
    3: Case of the Bloody Iris
    4: Bloodstained Shadow