Giallo Collection

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Grim, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I'm a consumer and I want the original tracks. To me, the best way to watch a film is in its intended language. For example, "Suspiria" is an Italian movie but was meant to be in English. Also, IMO, some films lose their meanings when they are dubbed.

As for buying the Italian DVDs, that's ludicrous. The DVD format is capable of multilanguage support. Many films released in the USA include a Spanish and French track. Do people want them? Probably. My point is this: the Italian films should have the Italian track because that's how the film was originally intended... like it or not.

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

EPKJ, Italian DVD's (most of them at least) do not include english subtitles. American and British DVD's though that DO include a foreign lanuage track BUT NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES is plain bad humor to the consumers.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Jeez, I hope my Brazil Criterion doesn't come in all late, I want that thing so bad. Anyways, after I order the NOES Box set and Straw Dogs Criterion I think I'll order this.

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

As long as they haven't told you it's backordered you'll get it soon. And dwatts - usually they tell you in big red letters (in your cart) when the product is out of stock. Sometimes they don't, and I'll admit, it does get annoying.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Hey Andy, check out my piece of shit site at the moment. I havent done any reviews yet, but I kinda got the basic frame of it done.:D

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Nice :D.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Brazil Criterian is a monster set - wonderful stuff. I'm the proud owner myself. Didn't feel a need to get the Criterion Straw Dogs though.......

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I am definitely going to pick up this set because of all of the great reviews I have read. After I buy A Virgin Among the Living Dead, I'm definitely going for this! :)

9. PELOQUIN

PELOQUIN New Member

giallos are like star trek episodes to a treki, good or bad you always care for them. you love one you love them all some stinkers but fun to watch and that precise collection is and excellent one with great storys that go a little bit away from traditionnal killer its beatiful set that showed that giallos are interesting kind of genre movies that is almost disapering.

10. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

As someone that is a giallo fan, I can honestly say that if the movie sucks then I won't like it. I have some gialli on DVD but certainly not all.

11. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

I have to agree. This is due to poor site and inventory support. These companies use outdated databases.

12. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

You are not many consumers, however, which is what I referred to in my post. Further, it is no more ludicrous to expect you to buy Italian DVD's, than it is for you to expect American companies to provide Italian language tracks for obscure genre films. Spanish is the largest second language in the United States and French is one of two national languages in Canada. Finally, the film was intended to have an English track when viewed by English speakers. That is why the producers dubbed the film.

13. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Hey EP, isn't it MORE ludicrous to provide italian tracks but NOT english subtitles?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2003
  14. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

EPKJ, I don't know if you realize this but gialli are ITALIAN films. In Italy, the national language is ITALIAN. Therefore, the ITALIAN track should exist. By the way, Chaostar, Italian subtitles should definitely be provided. Believe it or not, EPKJ, but DVD allows the option of selecting languages. Some people, like me, prefer to watch films in their original language: Italian, English, French, whatever. If that's ludicrous to you then I doubt that you are a true film fan... or at least you don't like "to read movies."

I know why films are dubbed but I am a purist and I believe that I'm not the only one that feels that way. To each his own, I guess. To me, bad dubbing can ruin an otherwise great film. My greatest example is "Don't Torture a Duckling". I'd like to convince you that my point is valid but I don't think it's possible.

By the way, you do realize that I'm talking about including original language tracks, not dubbing for every possible language?

15. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

This is not Italy. Region 1 does not contain Italy. So much for your stupid reply. The whole point of this debate was that it is ludicrous to expect a Region 1 company to provide Italian language tracks. That is self-evident. Italian is not a significant language in Region 1. Most people want to actually understand a film. No, I don't like reading films. Films are not intended to be read. No director in his right mind wants his audience reading rather than soaking up his visuals. Film is a visual medium. If I want to read a story, I will read a novel.

16. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

You serious? :eek2:

17. betterdan

betterdan Guest

18. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

:lol:

Italy is not in region 1? Wow, you are a freakin' genius but that's not my point. We are talking about movies filmed in Italian. What's wrong with having a choice: original or "region 1" language? Do you understand what I'm saying?

19. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

one of my favourite cartoon series as a kid was called The Mysterious Cities of Gold... reason i bring this up is because its a french cartoon but there was an english version that I obviously watched as a kid... now this series has not been shown on tv for ages and cant be bought anywhere... anywhere except france that is! theyve recently released it on dvd... but its french only (not even english subtitles).. now i think, hey how hard could it be for them to include an english track seeing as it already exists and the vast majority of the world speaks english and so theyd probably sell a lot more copies... but no they didnt... im sure there are some good reasons why companies dont include different language tracks on their discs and im sure its probably the same reason why most giallos dont contain an italian track

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Woah dude! Mysterious Cities of Gold is a kickass series! i used to watch that along with Spartacus and the Sun beneath the Sea on Nickelodeon way back. I did manage to get a copy of MCoG on VHS (bootleg, of course) but can't find Spartacus anywhere...

But for your other points, I agree...

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Just glad to see other fans of this series.