Giallo Collection

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Grim, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

ive got the whole series in realmedia format... its pretty poor quality but definately watchable.. comes to about a gig for the whole series.. havent heard of the other series you mentioned but MCOG was an awesome childhood memory.. watched it every day after school :)

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I think it still stands up, I just watched it again recently and was completely entertained. Its one of those childhood memories that turns out to be just as effective today as back then. Fun stuff.

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

you read any of the webpages about how they were gonna make a second series of it? dunno how that would hold up..

i watched it about 6 months ago... was awesome, as a kid i could barely remember any of it at all, just images... and the music... in fact ive got the music in my head now :) got mp3s of most of it

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

BTW: I think Spartacus & The Sun Beneath the Sea was done by the same people. It took place in the center of the earth, and as you mentioned with MCOG, I can only remember bits and pieces. I know the main hero had a wristband that turned into a crossbow, the citizens of the center of the earth didn't have legs so they sort of bounced around, and they had constructed a female android (with legs) who I remember wore white, and had a theme song by Menudo... :rolleyes: Anyway, I remember liking it quite a bit.

EDIT: I've read about the sequel idea, and there was room for a sequel by the end of MCOG.

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Not to stray away from the Nickelodeon topic, but........

I re-watched CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS last night and really enjoyed it. I think it's a great flick. The assistant police officer looks exactly like Rob Schneider and that blonde chick who plays Marilyn is extremely sexy. This movie's got some comedy too (involving the aforementioned police officer), which was interesting. I really like this one though.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I always watch a movie in it's original language with subtitles, and if I see a movie often enough I'm even able to turn the subtitles off. It just makes the film seem much more natural, and as film is a medium of image and sound it is important to view the film just as the director did. Just as I'd rather watch The Evil Dead fullscreen and Evil Dead II widescreen, I would rather watch Ringu in Japanese and The Ring in English as that's how it was filmed.

But if I remember correctly, Suspiria is dubbed in every language as it was never filmed with sound. Some of the actors are speaking english, some are speaking German (as it was filmed in Germany) and some are speaking Italian all at the same time, the sound was just never recorded. It's difficult to watch any version of a movie on faith it seems, gotta do some digging to see what's the true version.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

True version? That would an english dub for me :D

Honestly, if it has an english dub, I use that almost all the time. Don't care much about the "original langauge" as long as the dub job is good. The little bastard in Fulci movies is a case where the bastard is poorly dubbed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  8. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Especially in "House By the Cemetery"... damn, that voice is annoying. I always prefer the original language but if the movie is filmed in the States (or any other English speaking country) then I watch the English dub because that was the intended language. It's all about intent.

Talking about subtitles vs. dubbing... I can't help but wonder how shitty "The House With the Laughing Windows" would have seemed if it was dubbed. To me, a great example of dubbing that almost ruins the movie is in "Case with the Bloody Iris" when the tenants see the dead body in the elevator... that's so badly done that it almost made me turn off my DVD player the first time that I saw it. Actually, that's the only reason that I haven't bought "Seven Bloodstained Orchids". Sometimes the only available version is the dubbed version, which I believe was the case with "Don't Torture a Duckling" so that's forgivable but I know that isn't the case with "The Bloodstained Shadow"... IMO, Anchor Bay let down the fans (illiterate or otherwise).

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Has anyone noticed how awful the dubbing is in Fulci's DEMONIA?? Damn, that is some awful shit! Everyone has these false accents and it is truly annoying!! :(

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It has nothing to do with intent for me. Nothing at all. I honestly don't think film is "intended" to be in any langauge, where it is filmed, and who is paying for it dictates (that's why Argento tends to be dubbed, he simply knows it's going to a lot of different markets.) A good film ought to work in any language - but of course, dubbing can't pay much :D

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Well, try to watch the english dub of Bergman's Seventh Seal (or the german dub of Rio Grande!!!) and dwatts you'll see that this isn't always the case! :D :D :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Dubbing can indeed suck. Thikning of this thread I was reminded of Germany. I am living in Germany right now, and every single film released is dubbed. The Simpsons is dubbed, James Bond is dubbed etc. Americans tend to make a whole bunch more about dubbing that europeans do - because dubbing is far more common here. Some Americans act as though a dubbed film is some strange thing, but here, hell, even the COMMERCIALS are dubbed. No big deal, and not a discussion point. Travelling rocks :)

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

14. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

dwatts, you're completely right about dubbing not being an issue in most of Europe. I'm Italian and whenever I visit I really notice the dubbing. I even had discussions about it and Italians don't care about dubbing because, like you said, everything is dubbed. However, that isn't to say that they're all like that. The bigger cities have cinemas that only play films in their original language (and subtitled). Film fans tend to prefer it that way.

I tend to enjoy watching a movie in the most natural format. I know that some movies were filmed without a track but many are definitely supposed to be in a certain language. I just think that DVD should provide the original language (with subtitles) as an alternative. After all, the format supports it.

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Different argument really. I like dubbing pretty good when they took the time to do it right. Should a DVD give you the option? Oh yeah, definately. I think companies just get stuck in legalities.

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  16. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I used to think it was annoying, but now I think it's comical.

17. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Yes, I understand what you wrote. I don't think that resources should be wasted supplying that for which there is no significant demand. I don't know anyone personally who prefers subtitles to dubbing.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Last edited: May 2, 2003
  19. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I can relate to that. We may disagree all the time but you're a cool individual Dwatts.

20. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Real cool read guys. I think I'm going to go for this one. Can't wait for the Giallo Collection 2 by BU this summer.