Giallo watching order

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Anaestheus, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Hello,

While being a huge fan of horror, I have been pretty lax in searching out the giallo genre. I love Argento and Bava, but got more interested in them originally through their supernatural works. But after watching Blood and Black Lace, Opera, and Deep Red far too many times, I am interested in searching out some other giallo by other directors. With so much out there, though, and so many champions for the genre in general, it's been hard to decide what to look into next. So, I am looking to you folks for suggestions.

The things I love: Interesting camera work, stylish composition and editing, wacky secondary characters, a damned good score, tension, suspense, and more tension.

Things I don't care about: gore, not against it in any way, but it doesn't impress me.

Thanks.

2. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

* Strange Vice Of Ms Wardth (very nice musical score)
    * Torso
    * Tenebre (probably Argento's best film, besides Deep Red)
    * Murder To The Tune Of Seven Black Notes

also quite good : Short Night of the Glass Dolls, Case Of The Scorpion Tail, Spasmo

then you also have the lesser quality, like Strip Nude For Your Killer and Death Carries A Cane (although the latter one may be unfairly judged since i saw/own the first X-Rated Kult release, which is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E!!

and then I'm probably forgetting some others too

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I know you're asking for other directors, but have you already seen Argento's first- 'The Bird with the Crystal Plumage'? It pretty much single-handedly kicked off the giallo craze of the early 70's. And it's a great film.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Check out All the Colours of the Dark. It stars the super sexy Edwige Fenech and has a really haunting score.

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The House with Laughing Windows is as tense a giallo as you're apt to find. It creates an impeccable mood and is severely creepy. I think it's the best film of it's kind.

What Have You Done To Solange? also comes highly recommended. It has one of the most involving central mysteries of any film, giallo or otherwise.

The New York Ripper is quite gory, but it also has many other things going for it, not the least of which is a very interesting story revolving around personal decay.

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

My personal favorite is Torso.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

This long and no one's recommended Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling? One of my favorites. It rivals Argento and Bava's best Gialli. I like it 'cause there's a theme...that literally begins with the opening frame. But you won't pick up on it till the end.

A lot of people like Fulci's Lizard in a Woman's Skin, and it's ok too, but not on the level of Duckling. Lizard is a bit random and meandering...in other words, a Fulci film. I really do believe that DTAD is Lucio's most focussed effort.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

If your Looking for the next director to check out I would try either.

Sergio Martino...

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh
    Case of the Scorpion's Tail
    All the Colors of the Dark
    Your Vice Is a Closed Room and Only I Have the Key
    Torso

Or Fulci as pointed out by Paff.

9. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

You really can't go wrong with Martino.

I'd also recommend:

Luciano Ercoli Death Box
    The Bloodstained Shadow

10. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Basically all are recommended :D
    Seriously,you'll get all kinds of recommendaions and all are cool.

11. Crystal Plumage

Try Delirio Caldo for a change :D

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Argento is the better director as far as I'm concerned, but Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling is my favorite giallo of all-time. Definitely one for you to check out.

I also loved The New York Ripper, Deep Red, What Have You Done To Solange?, Tenebre, All the Colors of the Dark (a new favorite of mine), Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion (not really a giallo, but I'll include it here anyway), Opera, Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Blood and Black Lace, Phenomena, Eyeball, Stagefright, Torso, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin and The Cat O'Nine Tails. These are all must-sees.

Above-average: Autopsy, The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh, The Black Belly of the Tarantula, The Bloodstained Shadow, Trauma, The Case of the Scorpion's Tail, A Blade in the Dark, Who Saw Her Die?, Seven Notes in Black, Death Walks at Midnight and The Card Player.

Average: The Case of the Bloody Iris, Sleepless and Fulci's The Black Cat.

Ones to avoid: Strip Nude For Your Killer, Spasmo and Short Night of Glass Dolls. They're not necessarily bad films, but highly disappointing to me.

The Giallo Collection is a nice box set to have if you're a giallo fan, but the films are not among the best the genre has to offer. The film I liked the most from that set was The Bloodstained Shadow, but not many people seem to enjoy that one. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  13. MrVess

MrVess Guest

"Deliria" is not among the top ones, and it may not even be a true giallo, but it does have a big homicidal owl, and that sets it in a league of its own.

[​IMG]

14. Crystal Plumage

It's mentioned in the Blood and Black Lace book so it's a Giallo ;)
    Stylish and fun.
    There's a "key" scene I really love (pun intended).

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

After following some of the suggestions here, I thought I'd post a bit of a follow-up.

LOVED "Short Night of Glass Dolls" and "Who Saw Her Die?" Very different from the rest of the vein, but really well written, acted, and shot. I definitely recommend these to those who who haven't seen them. I might even recommend them to newbies before suggesting Argento or Bava, as they are a bit better written and less extravagant while still providing thrilling entertainment. Really loved the music on "...Glass Dolls" as well.

Also had a great time with "...Solange..."

ENJOYED "The Red Queen Box Set" Very sleazy, very fun. Sure, they are not the best of the lot, but they definitely have their high points. "...Evelyn..." is particularly a guilty pleasure.

I've seen a few Martino films, "Strange Vice" "Locked Door" "Scorpion's Tale" and "Colours of the Dark" I liked them. Not sure if I am sold on him being right up there with the big boys of the genre, but they still entertain, with "Scorpion's Tale" probably being my favorite. And I have absolutely fallen into the Fenech fan camp.

"Laughing Windows" was good, but felt like it was going to get darker than it did, so that ended up a bit of a let down.

"Torture a Duckling" Not bad, but still probably in the lower tier of what I've seen so far. While beatifully shot, I just felt it rambled too much to keep me interested. Still might try some of Fulci's other giallo, but probably later on down the road.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, even if I didn't take your advice or agree with your opinions.

16. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

100% agree

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I felt the same way with Martino's films. I was disappointed with all of them, although Scorpion's Tale was alright, and Fenech's hotness almost makes up for them. I haven't watched any of them since I picked them up last year though, so I will have to give them a second viewing, and see if my feelings have changed. Maybe going in with lower expectations might help a bit.

Torture a Duckling was another one that I was extremely disappointed with. It's the only Fulci film that I have seen that I didn't really like. I just found it kind of dry and boring. I guess with Fulci's name maybe i was expecting more of his trademark gore, but even just as a slow paced giallo it didn't really interest me too much.

18. Crystal Plumage

I'm a big fan of Gastaldi's (convoluted) plots.They have a sort of Agatha Christie touch to them.That's why I like the Martino films.

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

If you like wacky fun, EYEBALL. SCORPION'S TALE has lots of twists and turns.

20. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

I hope you didn't end up getting House With Laughing Windows, then!