Ginger Snaps

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

**SPOILERS**

This is a fantastic film, and if you ask me, it is the best werewolf film to date, which to me, is saying a lot. The film's new take on lycanthropy is ingenius, and the film milks it for all its worth. The period idea is not only original, but very intrigueing as well. It also paves the way for all sorts of crazy situations, all of which are a joy to watch.

One of the film's main strengths is the bond between the two sisters. It is portrayed very strongly, and you get a genuine feel for how much they care for each other. The tension between them after Ginger starts changing is very compelling because of this, and it all leads up beautifully to the breaking point when Ginger joyfully exclaims that it's almost like they aren't even related anymore (excellent line and scene BTW). After all the love and trust they had for each other, its rather saddening to see their downward spiral. While saddening, the spiral is also equally funny, disturbing, and nasty as well, especially with how it effects the characters around them.

Their parents are the type of parents that could drive a child mad. They either don't care enough about what's going on in their daughters' lives as long as their isn't any trouble, or they press too hard on the smaller or more embarrasing issues. Mimi Rogers is great as the mom. She's a really underrated actress. Also, the students at their school are pretty condescending. Their interaction with the preppy bitch is just great, and the final scene between them and her is really well done. There's also the horny guy who chases after Ginger. His fate is downright hilarious.

The film's ending is quite a saddening note to end on. Quite a powerful ending indeed, and its a wonderful finale I think. An inevitable, if tragic end.

Anyways, any thoughts on this gem?

2. I had a thing for Emily Perkins since It...

...and oh yeah, the sequel and prequel are in production.

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah this is a great werewolf flick. I still need to pick up that Canadian copy.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I believe the care they took in showing the bond between the sisters is what elevated this movie from good to great. It wasn't just fun or campy, you really felt something for them, and it made a huge difference in how the movie played out. Other horror directors should take note, you can be fun and actually touch on a real emotion or 2 in your work.

The actors were all damn good too, which helped set the perfect tone. I have endless love for this movie.

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i guess i should really check this movie out again.. i'm yet to see someone say they didnt love it

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Canadian DVD is packed with tons of special features. Very nice indeed, well worth a few extra bucks. Plus, it's in pristine Widescreen format. The two DVD editions released in the US have both been crappy, full frames, no features, etc.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Here are my comments on the Canadian disc:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/gs-se/

the widescreen transfer is nicer, but it's the 5.1 sound that really makes the Canadian disc a must-have, eh?

I won't go as far as Cujo in praising the film (it definitely has some short points, as well as a few times where they seem to be pulling the Scream-era "nudge-nudge-wink-wink-aren't-we-clever?" stunt a couple of times.)

As for Emily Perkins....great performance, but does anyone else feel that she prefers the company of women? I hate saying that, as I hate spreading rumors which have no basis, but I'm basing this on the look she sports in some of the extras on the DVD. It doesn't matter either way of course, as again she's a talented actress. And since we'll never meet, her sexuality has no consequence to me. I only mention it as someone in this thread has professed a crush on her, and it seems to me that she would likely be uninterested....haha...

And if this comment is too offensive, I will be glad to remove it.

8. dayglo

dayglo Member

I bought this for $15.00 Canadian, so if you don't already have it, the price is right for either side of the border. Highly recommended pick up

9. puddytay

puddytay Guest

The only thing I didnt like about it was how they stumbled apon the cure. Well they didn't really. Just some how pot head came up with it. I wish they would have been more creative on that. Other than that I think its a fantastic movie.

10. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The drug dealer owned a greenhouse, so he knew a lot of shit about plants.

11. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

:eek1:

Wow! I've recently finished a review for the Ginger Snaps (Canadian) DVD and I touched on this.

Although the wording may be edited, it currently stands as "Without the synergy of Perkins and Isabelle, Ginger Snaps would have been another run-of-the-mill werewolf story."

:eek1:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! :D

12. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

I think there was a lot more to Sam than meets the eye. For example, in one of the deleted scenes, Sam is working on a crossbreeding a flower so he can create a drug for depression. Apparently his parents owned the greenhouse before him (or still own it), so he's been around flowers and herbs his whole life.

Also, I would hardly describe Sam as a pothead. Yeah, he smoked weed, but the character was pretty intelligent and articulate. That was a nice change from Hollywood's "typical" pot smoker.

13. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

"Wicked!"

"Yeah, wicked. Get the fuck out."

14. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

where's a good non-ebay place to pick up the Canadian dvd?

15. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

Amazon.ca has it for around 15 bucks American shipped.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ginger Snaps was REALLY well written, not well directed. Actually I'd say the direction was below average. Although not done incompetently.

The movie itself is damn good though, I highly recommend it... Whatever that's worth. :D

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

But it is cozy in here. :lol:

Where is the review posted? I would love to check it out.

18. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

ah thanks, Ginger Snaps is on its way

19. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

:lol:

It's cozy because of all of the other voices up in there.

:lol:

Right now it's in the editing process, but it will probably be up over at HorrorTalk when it's complete.

20. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

yeah I love that movie too :) I wonder if the two planned movies (prequel and sequel) will be any good?? I hope so...