Godzilla Final Wars Review

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by SaviniFan, Feb 15, 2005.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Fangoria has a review up for GFW. Being a huge Godzilla fan I'm not sure what to make of this review as at times he makes it sound promising and at other times somewhat dissapointing. Of course I'll see it and make my own decision, but at least this is an insight as what to possibly expect seeing it. I especially like the idea of the Big G kicking the crap outta Roland Emmerich's abomination.

On a final note I gotta say I'm not too crazy about the poster. Looks like it was headed at one point in the right direction with some great painted characters, then looks as if they ran outta inspiration and said screw it and just cut and pasted the heroes of the film in the center.

Godzilla:Final Wars Review On Fangoria.com

2. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Thanks for the link. Really looking forward to seeing this.

3. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

It sounds like a load of fun to me. I can't wait!

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The director, which you all show know by now, wanted to make it as a tribute to the old classic movies, so he is really turned up the cheese factor to atomic levels. Therefore newer fans of the more serious Godzilla films do not seem to like this one.

I for one can not wait to see it :D

5. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I'll see it... but unfortunately, I'm not expecting much. The majority of my friends in Japan didn't have positive reactions. Kitamura tends to make films that are better received outside of Japan. I hope this is the case with Godzilla Final Wars.

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Sounds fun enough. :) When's the DVD out and stuff?

7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

"Before he can decide, monsters simultaneously attack major international cities—New York, Paris, Shanghai, Sydney and more."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know when your home city has hit the big time when it's destroyed by Monsters and Aliens.

First it was ID4 and now the big guy......... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

8. UndeadPirate

UndeadPirate Guest

As long as there are big monsters, big cities, and big explosions...I'll enjoy it.

9. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I found this picture of "Zilla" (G.I.N.O. from Godzilla 98) attacking some city in Final Wars.
    [​IMG]
    Zilla is the only CGI monster in the movie and, rumour has it, gets punked big time.

10. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

A little more info about Zilla's inclusion in Final Wars. Henshin!Online has an interview with Executive Producer Shogo Tomiyama.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

GINO gets owned in this movie by the real Godzilla :D

12. Mortado

Mortado Guest

Last night I finally got the opportunity to see “Godzilla Final Wars” on the big screen at the Seattle International Film Festival. I have purposely avoided all reviews of this just so my opinion wouldn’t be swayed in the least as I’m a huge Godzilla/Kaiju fanboy and wanted to make up my mind for myself.

I’m going to avoid going into much detail on the story, it’s best summed up by saying an alien race (known as the Xilens) land on earth and take control of the monsters of the world, setting them loose on such locations as New York, Denver, Sydney, Tokyo (duh), Paris, Germany and other major cities. The “Earth Defense Force”, a group of mutants with extraordinary fighting abilities and technology, set out to defend the Earth against the monsters only to find out that the aliens and monsters are too strong. With this fact against them they must enlist the aid of the King of the Monsters, Godzilla.

The monsters involved include the following: Godzilla, Monster X, Mothra, King Ghidora, Rodan, Angilas, Gigan, Manda, Kumunga, Kamakaris, Ebirah, Minya, King Seasar, Hedorah, and one other monster who I’m not going to name, let’s just say that it’s the only fully CGI moster in the whole film. There’s at least a good 45 minutes of hardcore monster action in this one so people looking for the crush-kill-destroy action the last few (in my opinion) just haven’t had enough of.

Ryuhei Kitamura (Verrsus, Azumi, etc.) did a commendable job at the helm of “Godzilla Final Wars”, the monster sequences were very well done, as were the human martial arts sequences. However there was a little too much human vs. human fighting for my blood. The one bonus of all the human fighting is that it helped the movie to flow at a very brisk pace throughout the entire film, never a dull moment. We were also treated to some of the worst English language actors in a Japanese film ever; some of the dialogue was so bad it was laughable.

All things said and done, I consider “Godzilla Final Wars” to be the best G-film since “Godzilla VS Destroyer” and would wholeheartedly recommend it to any Godzilla fanboy out there. While I did find myself shaking my head in utter disbelief at times the movie was good enough to keep a shit eating grin on my face for the duration of the film, and had me cheering like a pro wrestling fan at the appearance of each monster and during the MANY battles. If you like Godzilla you MUST see this one, I’m fairly confident that you will not be disappointed. If one is not a Godzilla fan they would probably find the whole thing absurd and laughable. Too bad for them, I’m a Godzilla fanboy and damned proud of it. I had more fun watching this movie than I have had for a long time.

5/5

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2005
  13. Roo

Roo Member

Thanks for the review. I can't wait to see this movie. I hope I get a chance to see this on the big screen before it's released on DVD.

14. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

-2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
    -Japanese and English DD5.1 Surround
    -English subtitles
    -B-Roll of Special Effects Sequences
    -Final Wars Teaser Trailer
    -TV Spots
    -Promo Reel"

[​IMG]

16. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

I like that cover. A lot.

17. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

:banana: :banana: :banana: YES!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

that cover produces a MAJOR spoiler unfortunately....

19. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

No fucking shit! I was just going to post that, I mean that would be like doing a Sleep Away Camp cover with the Penis ending or The Crying Game... with the penis ending.

20. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I can't tell what it is. I think it's only a spoiler to those that are familiar with the film or have seen read reviews. It looks lame as hell (the cover, not the film), but I'm certainly adding this to my collection the day it comes out. I'm really glad this is getting a release here.