Godzilla Final Wars Review

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by SaviniFan, Feb 15, 2005.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

You can't tell now, but as soon as you start watching the film, the big plot twist at the end will not be a twist at all, since it's right there on the cover!

2. The cover may be a "spoiler" of sorts, but those who are interested in this film are probably Godzilla fans in there own right & probably already KNOW Ghidorah is in there somewhere. People who buy this DVD probably already know what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  3. *EDIT* double post

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Hey, your previous post was a spoiler of what was to come in your next post there Peter! :)

5. ha ha. I was getting an error after I'd hit "submit". I had no idea BOTH messages posted.

6. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

I just got a copy of this film and really enjoyed it. It does try tobe too many things with touches of The Matrix and Independence Day mixed in, so that sucked, but the Godzilla parts and the redesigns on some of the monsters are awesome. Say good bye to the pot bellied Gigan of old and look at awe upon the new sleeker stream-lined Gigan. angirus also is remade with a cool new fighting move. And what a joy to se Kamakaris move with lightning quickness unlike the lumbering original on wires. There is also tributes by bringing in some former actors from earlier G films. Akira Takarada (Godzilla, King of Monsters,Godzilla vs Monster Zero, Godzilla vs Mothra) plays U.N. Secretary Genral Daigo, Kumi Mizuno (Godzilla vs Moster Zero, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, War of the Gargantuas) appears as Earth Defense Force Commander Akiko Namikawa. Kenji Sahara (G-KOM,Rodan, G vs Mothra, G's Revenge, Destroy all Monsters, Son of G, G vs MechaG, terror of MechaG, G vs King Ghidorah War of the Gargantuas) plays Paleontologist Hachirô Jingûji. Nice send off with a homecoming of G-film veterans. I was surprised that they did not pull Megalon into the film. They used King SeaSar, Manda, and GINO but didnt bring in Megalon OR Baragon?! They even stuck in the token "Kenny!" Overall it may not be the best G film, but is sure is fun to watch the big G squashing the whole Canon of Kaijus.

7. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Finally saw this and was pretty much disappointed with it. Kitamura's only made me happy twice... Versus and Azumi... Alive was crap... Aragami was mehh... this was pretty craptacular. Ya... those monster bits were cool and all... but... the cheese in this was so so thick... much thicker than previous films in this series. And that english actor russian guy or whatever is the WORST actor... terribly annoying. This is on par with Stacy sad to say... what a miserable "final" Godzilla film. :( Thats just what I think. :(

8. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

But, where there is money, there is godzilla.

Give it a couple of years and we may hear the giant lizard roar yet again.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

it's not going to be the final Godzilla flick. Toho has said they're retiring G for this generation. It'll be about 5-10 years before another.

However, if King Kong does really well and interest for a KKvsG rematch is generated, i bet they bring G out of retirement real fast!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  10. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I saw "Final Wars" in Japanese and English dialog with no subs. I don't understand Japanese but there was enough English to get the gist of the "plot". Anyway, the monster scenes were cool but the martial arts scenes made me want to puke. What was the point in that crap?

11. Saw it last night via Blockbuster rental (the dudette at the counter was looking at me like "why isn't he renting Dukes Of Hazzard or some other new release").

The movie was a very long 125 minutes...too much & too long for a kaiju film IMO.

As well directed as the fight/motorcycle scenes were, they didn't belong in THIS movie. I honestly felt like I was watching 2 different movies at the same time, especially at the end during the final face off between Big G & X and the good & bad kaisers!

I have to admit, I creamed when Zilla faced the REAL godzilla! It just moistened me up. I knew it was coming, but just seeing it was cool. too bad it didn't last longer.

The Good:

1. well choreographed fight scenes.
    2. Battle royal between Godzilla, Rodan, Anguirus & King Caesar.
    3. Almost any kaiju battle

The Bad:

1. The Matrix in my godilla movie is UNECESSARY!
    2. Scenes where people are talking, show me more Kaiju dammit!
    3. Minilla!!!!!!!!
    4. Minilla!!!!!!!!
    5. Minilla!!!!!!!!

12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I agree with ya 100% Peter. But I'll always welcome bad Godzilla just as long as it is more Godzilla. :)

13. Noto

Noto Guest

Have all the movies been released in the US yet? Is there any plan in effect to do this?

14. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I liked Final Wars alot. My favorite things about it were the music and the opening credits! Keith Emerson's prog rock and the other techno music kept the film moving and kept me into it. The opening credits really got me excited! Overall a Godzilla film that stands out from the others, and although the "Matrix" fighting was a little too much, there's a lot of good stuff here. recommended!

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i liked the movie quite a bit. it's a very, VERY different G flick, which is good in my opinion. i too thought the movie was a wee bit too long and was disappointed that G wasn't in the film as much as I would have hoped for. However, i was glad to see aliens (the same race that appears in Monster X no less!) make a come back to a Godzilla flick. there hasn't been an alien invasion G film since "Terror of Mechagodzilla." (if memory serves me correct) At any rate, I think the film is good and will get many repeated viewings at my house.

16. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

I must say after watching this last night,i'm a bit torn.Maybe i am just a victim of the hype machine but Final Wars left me with a bit of a hollow feeling inside.I expected a bit more for the big guys "final" performance.

First the good:

The opening credits..the montage of clips from past films was well done and got my blood pumping.

I thought the acting was above par...i was suprised by (ex-UFC brawler) Don Frye's performance as Captain Gordon.

Godzilla looked excellent..the suit detail was very well done.He looked bad ass and his movement was fluid.
    Same can be said of most of the other monsters as well.Mothra. Monster X (both versions), Hedorah, Rodan, Anguirus, Gigan (both versions),Kumunga,
    Kamakaris, Ebirah & King Seasar all ranged from decent to very good.

Some of the subtle touches..as the men at the arctic base jamming to the classic godzilla score and Captian Gordon's Versus pose.

The not so good:

More monster on monster mayhem was needed.All of the fights between Godzilla and his foes(with the exception of the final battle) are painfully short.Godzilla goes through most like a hot knife through butter and takes no damage whatsoever.

Minya,Milla...whatever you want to call it.Godzilla Jr. in his doughboy state has always been my most hated character.He was always annoying and time hasnt changed that one bit.I cringed during every scene it made an appearance.

This is probably my biggest gripe.While the end credits roll,they show scenes from the film.I spotted a number of them that were nowhere to be seen in the film which i just watched! Which leads me to believe the US version was cut..that pisses me off.If anyone has the Japanese release and could compare,it would be much appreciated.

All in all it was a good film but the King Of Monsters deserved a better send-off if this was indeed the last time he graces the screen.

17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

The only Godzilla film I solidly remember from my childhood, meaning I watched it a LOT when I was a kid, is Son Of Godzilla. I loved that tape and wore it out. This is the only other one that I have watched all the way through, aside from the Matthew Broderick vehicle.

With that said, I enjoyed it. I wasn't as thrilled as a lot of reviewers had told me I would be (shame on you! Haha) but I wasn't disappointed either. Considering I got it for $9 at Wal-Mart instead of $20 at work, I can't complain much.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

actually this is NOT G's final film, just his last film for awhile (like Destoroyah was his last until the current era, besides a G imax film may be made within a year, and not by TOHO). As for being cut, it's the same as the Japanese edit.

19. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

I kinda figured it would not be last (thank god!).Did you notice the scenes over the end credits though? There is for sure parts that did not appear in the film itself.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

it's just deleted scenes. i think the japanese dvd set has some of those deleted scenes as extras.