GODZILLA NEWS : List of Monsters for new film

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by KR~!, May 2, 2004.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

"Thanks to a source who has visited the set of Godzilla: Final Wars, I now have the names of the kaiju who will be appearing in the film, although there might be MORE who are not listed. Monster X's identity is still a secret.

The kaiju are:

Godzilla
    Monster X
    Mothra (larva form)
    King Ghidora
    Rodan
    Angilas
    Gigan
    Manda
    Gorosaurus
    Kumunga
    Kamakaris
    Ebirah
    Minya
    King Seasar

for more info go here : http://www.clubtokyo.org/monsterzero/editorials/editorials.php?catID=Nws&subCatID=15&contentID=434

I shall post pics of each monster so that you can put a face to each name later.

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

:) Gonna look out for this. :)

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Pretty cool bunch of monsters there, especially personal faves, Gigan, King Ghidorah, and Angilas. Would've liked if they'd come up with any other monster than Minya though. I hate that sucker.

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Well, fear not! Since the plot of the movie has Godzilla's son getting killed and then having Godzilla snap and try to destroy the Earth. So if Minya is still his son in this one, he will die, so erm cheer up :p ;)

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I am sooo stoked for this one. A modern day update of Destroy All Monsters.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

SPOILERS!

from http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-05/01/content_1450543.htm
    BEIJING, May 1 (Xinhuanet) -- Godzilla is finally going to die - honest. And it's going to happen in Shanghai.

Japan's Toho Pictures is already filming the final Godzilla flick for the legendary monster's 50th anniversary on the big screen.

In "Godzilla: Final Wars," the fictitious green monster that wreaked chaos around the world will lose his final battle to a fire dragon and die by the Oriental Pearl TV Tower in Pudong.

The filming of local scenes will last about four days in the city's Chedun film studio.

Director Ryuhei Kitamura and some of the cast are scheduled to be in the city at the end of this month to complete the shots.

The film's plot could be described, kindly, as uncomplicated. Godzilla's child is killed accidentally by humans, which drives the monster crazy. The reptile-like creature then goes on a massive rampage around the world, according to a local film import company that will assist in the shooting of the local parts.

After several rounds of epic encounters, Godzilla faces the fire dragon. The final battle is set to happen on the Bund.

Godzilla's fury will not be contained to Shanghai however. He will also smash, bash and crash his way through the United States, France, Australia and other countries.

Nearly 300 extras will be hired locally for the final scenes.

Cast shots will be completed mainly inside the studio while computer technology will be used to synchronize outdoor filming of the Bund and the Pearl Tower.

Representative buildings and scenic spots will be shot on location. Kitamura has also confirmed that the Eiffel Tower in France will be one of the locations for a separate scene.

The movie is now being filmed by several teams at the same time in different countries. The Japanese premiere is scheduled for December 11.

The local film import company's management said they are interested in introducing the movie to the city's cinemas.

Toho Pictures has produced 22 movies starring Godzilla since 1954. Hollywood also paid the company to produce its version in 1998.

Kitamura, 35, is a rising director famous for glamorous fighting scenes in cult films.

The young director has won world acclaim for his 2003 production, "Azumi," a comic book movie, which is considered the Asian counterpart of American director Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" films.

7. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

The more I hear about this movie the more excited I get about it :D

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

So where do the Power Rangers fit in?

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Toho has finally released the final official list which is a bit different from the rumored one :

Godzilla
    Gigan
    Angilas
    King Ceasar
    Ebirah
    Kamacuras
    Kumonga
    Manda
    Minya
    Mothra
    Rodan
    Hedorah
    Monster X

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:banana:

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Holy shit man that last picture is amazing. You're making me want to watch some of these movies again. Was GODZILLA 2000 similar to that last picture in any way, or was it still cheesy?

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

oh btw, just in case you didn't know the director for this new movie was the same guy who made the action/horror extravaganza Versus !

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Haha, that's great to hear! :D Its great to see that they have added the awesome Hedorah to the list, and the outline of Monster X looks outstanding. I'm sure he's going to be quite badass. Sweet new design for Gigan too, who is definitely one of my favorite Godzilla foes. The pic of Godzilla standing in that small crater is very awesome to boot. This film is really shaping up to be a true Godzilla epic, and I am extremely excited for it, much like I was beyond excited for GMK, only I'm a great bit more excited for this one.

13. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

damn, Gigan is one bad motherfucker in that pic!
    i hope Tristar releases this in theaters over here.

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

there is a new plot for the story :

Repeated wars and nuclear tests... too advanced science broke the earth's environment and woke up the sleeping giant kaijus. The era that humans fight each other has ended, and the new era that humans fight against the menace of Kaijus has began---the "Earth Defence Force" was born. From a few years ago, the existance of "mutants" ,super humans who have special powers, were confirmed all over the world. The earth defence force organized an anti-Kaiju squad with the mutants. They called the squad "M kikan (M-Force)"

In 20xx, a mummy of a giant kaiju is salvaged in the north sea of Hokkaido. Shinichi Ozaki, a mutant soldier of the M-Force, investigates the mummy with Miyuki Otonashi who is a biologist sent from the UN.

At that time, Kaijus appear in cities all over the world simultaneously! New York, Paris , Shanghai, Sydney -- Kaijus appear one after another!

The earth defence force invests the full war potential, but they can only fight defensively because of too many kaijus.

Among the world-wide confusion, an airplane of Naotarou Daigo, who is a Secretary General of the UN disappears.

The earth defence force fights desperately, but cannot defeat the kaijus. Ozaki, who arrives on the sight of a kaiju arrival, strives to fight against the kaiju with another mutant soldier Kazama by using their super physical powers.

Among the intensive battles all over the world, UFOs suddenly appear in the sky, and eliminate the kaijus. UFOs are concentrated above the base camp of the earth defence force in Japan, and Daigo, the missing Secretary General of the UN appear from the UFOs. He suggests a friendly term with the aliens who introduce themselves as "X-seijin(X-Aliens)". The heads of the world decide to form an alliance with the X-Aliens.

However, Ozaki and Miyuki have a doubt about X-Aliens and researched their nature with Miyuki's elder sister Anna. While researching, they ask assitance from the captain of "Kaitei Gunkan Gouten-gou (Atragon)". Now the final wars of Ozaki and his companions on the Atragon start!

Godzilla keeps sleeping in the ice of south pole at that time ......

source : http://www.clubtokyo.org/monsterzero/editorials/editorials.php?catID=Nws&subCatID=15&contentID=450

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

about time UFOs/aliens are brought back to the Godzilla series!

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Monster X drawing!

[​IMG]

17. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

TOKYO — Filming begins Friday in Sydney on the final installment in the long-running Godzilla series, which marks its 50th anniversary this year.

"Godzilla: Final Wars" stars Rei Kikukawa, 26, as a United Nations molecular biologist, pop singer Masahiro Matsuoka, 27, as well as Akira Takarada, 70, who starred in the very first Godzilla movie. The film will open in Japan on Dec 4.

The 28th film in the series will pit Godzilla against 10 other monsters, wrecking Sydney, New York, Paris, Shanghai and much of Japan in the process, said a spokesman for production company Toei.

Sydney's Opera House and Harbor Bridge will be flattened by the giant lizard, the Sydney Morning Herald gleefully reported this month. "Everyone remembers those grainy black and white images of Godzilla attacking Tokyo office workers ... and millions of Japanese people — and potential tourists — will see Godzilla stomping his way across our beautiful country," the paper quoted a spokesman for the New South Wales state government office as saying.

Godzilla is set for a lengthy break after this, says Toei. "I don't think there will be another movie for at least five or maybe 10 years. I would like to pour all the know-how of the last 50 years into this commemorative movie and make it the best one," said producer Shogo Tomiyama. "I don't think another Godzilla movie will be made until a completely new way of visual expression is found."

The 27 movies, starting with "Godzilla" in 1954 and most recently "Godzilla, Mothra, Mecha-Godzilla: Tokyo SOS," released last year, have attracted more than 98 million viewers worldwide.

18. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Holy shit! To be honest, I put off reading any news about the picture until this thread... There's something worth waiting for afterall!

19. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

20. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

More info :

Here are some articles from the press conference:

http://www.nikkansports.com/ns/entertainment/p-et-tp0-040526-0009.html

http://www.sanspo.com/geino/top/gt200405/gt2004052606.html

here is a translation I found on-line :

"There will be movement as never seen before," director Kitamura said, (unknown). "It is very fast, but looks heavy/strong. The hand, the foot, the tail -- the movement will be smooth. We want to see fast, single blows."

Preparation is advanced. Planned for filming beginning in early June, large improvements were made to the Godzilla suit. Because the movement of the judo kana arm is performed quickly, a special foam latex material was used for both arms. The material is the same used in puffs and so on for women's make-up, and is used for special make-up skin effects in Hollywood films. Usually, it is easier to tear when compared to the rubber and the urethane which are usually used used in costumes, but the flexibility is greater. Furthermore it is much lighter. Formerly, costumes were 40 kilos (90 pounds), but (using this material) it successfully lost 10 kilos (22 pounds) or more.

Also, it is easier for the actor who enters the costume to move. Until now, the face of the actor was positioned in Godzilla's chest; this time, it rises to the position of the neck. The shoulder of the actor fits exactly where the Godzilla shoulder is. The change from "easily made" to "better fit" makes it easier to move. Furthermore, the range of head movement is greater. Unitl now, the whole body might have to move/turn, but now turning the neck and various expressions are possible.

The second article talks, I think, about the larger budget, possible worldwide release, and the new popularity of Godzilla (and the original 1954 film) in the United States.