Gojira finally arrives...

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by KillerCannabis, Mar 11, 2006.

1. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Anyone hear anything else about the other DVDs recently? I've seen information around about Gojira coming out on Sept. 5. What I haven't seen is information regarding any of the other titles from Classic Media.

I'm getting that sick feeling in my stomach like maybe they got scrapped or maybe worse than that, that we're going to get screwed with some shitty subpar releases.

I hope that I'm just being a whiney bitch...

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

actually, instead of releasing them all at once, CM is releasing a few each month or so. I think Godzilla Raids Again and Vs Mothra is coming out in November, with more coming out later. They don't want to flood the market with G discs (don't blame them and putting them out like this is easier on the wallet!). Some websites have the case artwork up for those titles and they look badass!

3. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Ah...okay. I can take a break on the wallet, as long as they all do make it out. Any links to those screen shots of the covers?

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Some official word form Keith Aiken who did consulting on the DVDs:
    You can visit his page here: http://www.scifijapan.com/

That pains me so, I really want the whole package with the boxset. It's months and months away. I can't help but think there are many like me who will hold out for the boxset, limiting sale numbers and possibly preventing the boxset from being released at all... or am I just being paranoid?

Anyways I got the demo disc and poster from Wizard World in Chicago, the new footage it in really great shape all thing considered although perhaps a bit too dark. I believe that's optimized for HD TV's since Dr. Stangelove suffers the same way although HD TV owners think it's never looked better.

5. Roo

Roo Member

6. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Just watched the new GOJIRA DVD. Let me first start by saying, thank you to classic Media for releasing this and all future Godzilla releases on DVD.
    The importance of a R1 NTSC version of Gojira cannot be overstated. I guess I was expecting a new, immaculate transfer, so I was a bit disapponted when Gojira began and I saw the condition of the print used for this transfer. Speckles, spots, lines and pops throughout. If this is the best existing print from Toho, then it is a sad day indeed. Is there any other DVD available where the print is cleaner than this? I suppose not, or it would be included in this beautiful 2 disc set.

7. marcx

marcx New Member

Watched gojira tonight--and although the print was not perfect having never seen it in its original form--well it was a revelation!!! I wa blown away by the serious grim tone and eerie quality of it-----

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i have a bootleg sourced from the Toho Gojira release and its no better (V/A) than the CM release. Toho should invest in restoring at least the original film. Though I must say, the not so pristine look does have a certain charm that works with the film IMO.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I watched the "restored" (and I don't doubt it) Gojira in San Francisco last year at the theater. What a great film and I found it effective and a few scenes kinda scary (Godzilla appearing over the hillside).
    Great film. I'm getting this SOON.
    It had all the nicks and chips on the print as well, but otherwise looked great. Also, it's THE ONE Godzilla film without audience guffaws and laughing.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

DVD Beaver did a comparison:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/godzilla_dvd_review.htm

To my eyes (on a lap top LCD screen) the R1 appears to have more detail, perhaps because it's zoomed in more. Yet the R2 is progressive with no combing, with slightly more image on the sides. I like the darker image on the R2 but again in a way that's another loss of detail which can hurt scenes.

I may buy the BFI and get the R1 boxset to have both, the DLP I have now does 480p as 16x9 so I'd watch it in 480i anyways to stay 4x3. But this will future proof viewings. And no, I don't go this far with many other movies but we're talking Godzilla here folks. GODZILLA!

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    SCORE!!! Picked up a used copy in mint condition for $10, so I will be watching this tonight!

12. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Okay, I watched both movies. They are night and day!! Two totally different feels! I still like the American version more, as it is quicker in pace and it is the one I grew up with. I respect the original and the message, but can't relate the way the Japanese would have at the time of release, because to this day, I feel the Japanese got what they deserved during WW2! I also think it was a good idea re-editing it for American audiences. That close to the end of WW2 and there would have been a lot of pissed off people in the U.S.!! Especially those who fought against them on the battlefield! Though, those people probably wouldn't have watched a movie that was a direct import from Japan!

13. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

Even though there are marks and specks in the print, the contrast is really nice. All other versions have a fuzzier muddy quality to them, so aside from the scratches and such the picture is better than I have seen. The original is a big deifference and there was certainly a feel that they wanted to aspire to the the US did not even consider. The original focuses on not only the love triangle but the human suffering aspect that is missing in KotM.

The best thing with Cm releaseing these "Showa" era films is that they will be presented unaltered. Especially "Terror of MechaGodzilla" which was cut up majorly. According to Keith Atkins, The original had scenes of a slow motion bullet riddled death, a character suicide, the lead villian whipping one of his henchmen, cursing, and a "nude" scene via the use of an upeer body prosthetic. This version was actually shown on TV minus the "nude" scene and is the first time it is available on home video.

I cant wait until November !!!

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I don't think people understand just how much was missing and was changed and added to all the Godzilla films (Showa Era), thanks to these releases people will finally see what hardcore Godzilla fans knew all along and until now could only see with bootlegs.

15. So this is out? I put in on my sister's Blockbuster Online que and it only says "Coming Soon"!?!?