Gone Girl (2014) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Oct 2, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Gone Girl (2014)
    Directed by David Fincher
    6.5-7/10
    Based on the best selling novel of the same name we have David Fincher's latest thriller about a man (Ben Affleck) who had the media circus spotlight turned on him when his wife (Rosamund Pike) disappears under suspicious circumstances. The film itself is far less slick or stylized than the usual Fincher film and though it lacks the polish and perfection we have become use dot it is still a very competently made piece.
    Having not red the book I was not always exactly sure what was coming which is good but the ending itself felt lacking and I had imagined several more interesting scenarios that could have played out. The best part of the film was the focus on media sensationalism but thats not to say that there weren't some great performances in the film also.
    Another score from Reznor and Ross was good and a little more understated than what was needed on their prior collaborations with Fincher. All in all we are left with an entertaining, well made film that will sit above the gamut of other thrillers offered this year but will not be remembered as anything too special in the directors greater catalogue.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thanks for sharing, thing. I'm excited for it. Really like Ben Affleck and Fincher has always delivered for me when it comes to thrillers. May he never make another maudlin movie like THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON again. Anyway, sounds like the author and Fincher have now had two cracks at ending this story and both have been unsuccessful. Maybe they need to do one of those branching path endings they had on LaserDiscs back in the day like MR. PAYBACK, haha.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I read this book in a single day last weekend--very absorbing but it's mostly fluff by the end. One to gobble up and forget--so I'm curious how Fincher will handle the material.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The author also wrote the screenplay btw

5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Did not know that! Now it'll be even more interesting. Gonna try for a Sunday night watch.

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Wooo, well it was a close call, after Gone Girl came in 2nd on Friday at the box Office to "Annabelle" of all things, it turned the rest of the weekend around and got to number one.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Saw it today. I wish I hadn't read the book before hand. Both leads did a wonderful job. The Reznor score was understated but effective. I will have no problem adding this blu-ray to my collection.

8. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I liked it enough but will only add it to my collection if I happen across it ridiculously cheap like I did with Dragon Tattoo which I picked up for $4

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I really wanted to see it over the weekend, but the theater here was packed and sold out well in advance.

This is where they filmed the majority of the movie, and I have a couple of friends who even appear in the film.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I went to see this last night and thought it was really well made. I like that it had a few twists happening and really got you thinking. There were times where I wasn't sure what to think about certain characters anymore which really kept me absorbed in the story.

I would have preferred the end go a little different but I'd say this is easily an 8.5/10. I'll be watching this again for sure.

11. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I had the same reaction. I was hoping they'd stray from the book more than they did. And while I thought Ben Affleck was well cast, Rosamund Pike was not how I imagined Amy when I read the book. She's a very good actress and did a great job; she's just not what I had in mind. Another reason I wish I hadn't read the book first. On the other hand it was a really fun summer read; I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the book as much had I seen the movie first.

And I think the ending is pretty fucked up. You just really have to think about what happens after the movie ends - kind of like "Rosemary's Baby". It's certainly not "Se7en" but it's just as bleak.