Goodbye New Line Cinema...!?!

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

from http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2008-01-22/ (so take it however you want):

Golden Parachutes for New Line Founders?
    Following a planned meeting this week with new Time Warner Chairman Jeff Bewkes, New Line Cinema founders Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne are expected to be terminated and New Line's projects, including The Hobbit, folded into Warner Bros., L.A. Weekly columnist Nikki Finke reported on her Deadline Hollywood Daily blog Monday, citing no sources. With the exception of last year's Hairspray, New Line has had a nearly uninterrupted string of financial failures since its Lord of the Rings franchise ran out.

===============

This wouldn't surprise me as NL really hasn't had a hit in awhile (with the Golden Compass being a HUGE bomb at the box office). It'll be sad to see NL go.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I had the feeling that Godlen Compass was not a "HUGE" bomb, not even a small one, with $314,153,757 worldwide gross 'till now.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Wow, didn't realize it made that much. I know it did very poorly in the US. Still, at $180M production budget, I doubt it's broke even.

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Well, I am not surprise it didn't make more money in the US what with all the Jesus freaks running around here thumbing their chest. Thankfully we also have the largest number of closest agnostics and atheists so I am sure that the DVD and Blu-Ray versions will sale well.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Didn't New Line sell the overseas rights to The Golden Compass to get the money to finance it? In which case, with $180 million budget, it's a fiscal disappointment for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  6. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

"Golden Compass" came from a fairly obscure franchise. Most people have heard of Narnia or Lord of the Rings; not so much "His Dark Materials."

None of the advertising really left much of an impression; most people would just walk away from it and only remember CGI polar bears in body armor.

And, as far as box office goes, unless a movie makes a domestic profit, it's going to be considered a disappointment. Hollywood wants to recoup costs domestically first, and then have the foreign box office fill the coffers with bonus profit. (Which isn't to say that they won't keep a franchise going based solely on foreign profits, but the movie will still be seen as a disappointment and the sequels will usually be of lower quality.)

7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

True, which is just another example of how pathetically myopic the film industry is. They don't even take DVD releases into account - proclaiming success or failure based on the opening weekend gross. Where would The Thing be today? STILL a freaking failure!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Actually these days most companies expect to make most of their money from DVDs. I've read a couple interviews where companies and directors stated that these days they wait until it's released on DVD to say whether it was a failure or not, as DVD can make almost as much as the box office. As long as they make their money back domestically or close to, they should be fine, as once you add the foreign receipts and the DVD sales and rentals, and then TV sales, they are making quite a bit of money. Add that to all the toys and what not and you have a success.

9. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Yes, the overseas rights were sold off to various companies, IIRC, so it really was a colossal bomb for them. Also, a pretty shoddily made film, imo.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Oy, Freddy, Jason, and Leatherface all under the WB banner? That'll be odd.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Maybe will get a Hammer Horror Vs. 80's Slashers movie. Hahahaha.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Exactly, and what about Rush Hour 3 ? $255,045,896 worldwide.

Both successful, not including dvd rentals & sales.

Even Hairspray made $199,923,091 worldwide.

Wedding Crashers was huge for them a couple a years ago.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Interesting tidbit, if true. I wasn't aware that New Line were in such dire straits financially.

14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Rush Hour cost $140M to make, so it didn't break even at the Box Office, though I'm sure it has now since the DVD went on sale. Hairspray was a success. You know, if movie companies wouldn't spend so much damn $ on films, they could easily make a profit (like Hairspray for example).

15. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I think the NOES, LOTR and F13th films will still be distributed under the New Line Cinema name, only that Warner Bros. will be distributing the films. Anyone remember the deal Paramount made with Dreamworks? It'll probably be like that.

16. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

New Line as a brand won't go away. It makes no sense to kill the brand - they just want the rights.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Eh, does New Line really have that great of a brand? Who's going to buy into a product simply because it's New Line?

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is good or bad news... What will happen with the new Friday the 13th movie that's under works?

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy something simply because it's New Line, but I'd be more inclined to rent a good sounding movie if it was from New Line. I like that they took chances on both Wes Craven and Peter Jackson when no one else would and it came out gangbusters. I also like that they have a love of horror films since that's what started them up. They are also the only company I've seen that give an SE treatment to nearly every movie of theirs on DVD, even if it is a theatrical bomb.

20. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

This thread indicats they have a decent brand - we know who they are, the product they've put out. I mean, I wouldn't buy ANY film based on the studio, but it's known....