Gothika out on dvd Tuesday.

Discussion in 'General' started by moogong, Mar 21, 2004.

1. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Halle Berry's Gothika comes out this Tuesday. The commerical for the dvd looks way better than the trailer for the movie. I am leaning towards picking it up...mainly due to Berry being the star. Anybody picking this disc up??

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I wouldn't buy it, but it had its fair share of jumps. Some creepy scenes, but overall it's pretty average. Worth seeing once though, so I'd recommend a rental first. Berry does look good though.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm buying. Enjoyed all those Dark Castle flicks so far.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Dfinitly gonna give it a rent on Tues.
    Dark Castle has been good so far, so I'm looking forward to this one.

5. I plan on renting it Tuesday and then picking it up later in the week if it is great.

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Liked it enough...demented little story. Definitely buying it ASAP. Isn't TCM O4 this week too? :eek2:

7. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

TCM is on the 30th.

8. indiephantom

oh, right..damn. Getting anxious for that one now. :fire:

9. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Tcm next tuesday.

Gothika.. a rental 1st.

10. Gothika is good, but I don't think it would stand up to repeated viewings. I liked it, but I don't need to see it again...at least for a couple of years. I'd say rent it, but thats just me.

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I gotta agree that it is not a film that would hold up to repeat viewings. Rent first. I was quite let down by the ending myself.

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

My hope of getting this movie today was squashed by the fact that we only got the full screen release. Not a widescreen in the bunch. This hardly ever happens, but there you have it. I was then like, well hell I will at least rent it then, but I guess everyone had that same idea because all copies were checked out by noon. So now I am just screwed. :fuck:

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I hate when that happens. I wanted to pick up Matchstick Men & School Of Rock the other day but they only had friggin full screen versions.
    Why won't they put both formats on one disc? :eek2:

14. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I got it today. I liked the movie but it wasnt great I have mixed feelings about it. To me it really seems like a rip off of the movie The Eye but I'm sure it was a rip off of some movie.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I almost wish I hadn't rented it.
    One word review = BORING!
    By far the weekest of the Dark Castle films, and by far I mean Pluto, billions of light years style far!
    Then to have LB's absolute bucthery of The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" in the credits was the last straw. It doesn't fit the movie. No one had blue eyes. The song never should've been re-recorded. The fact that Fred is still alive proves how fucked the world really is! :fire: :fire:

16. indiephantom

It is much different than the other DC pics. I liked the luridness toward the end, but I prefer the more straightforward horror of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL for example. Still very much enjoyed it, but yeah that song blew. :gay:

17. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2003/11/112103.html

Here's a link to Ebert's review. I gave it a 2 1/2 out of 5, which is completley average and mediocre in every way. I thought it was OK. I like Halle Berry, the direction was decent, and they threw in a plot twist to keep me interested, but it didn't ruin the film, like in Matchstick Men. Rent, don't buy.

18. indiephantom

Yeah...I ended up despising MATCHSTICK MEN. Was way ahead of it, and a dumb idea anyway.

19. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I really loved Matchstick Men, but that is neither here nor there. Gothika was just a completely average in every respect horror movie. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it was just kind of there. The only thing that was really fun was the chemistry with Berry and Downey Jr. Had this been a love story with those 2 and not a kind of sort of horror movie, this could have been interesting, but alas, it wasn't.

Oh, and I wish I had NEVER watched that "Behind Blue Eyes" video included on the dvd because that completely and utterly sucked.