Gozu - uhhh wtf? weird threesome

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by othervoice1, Jun 26, 2006.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Okay this weekend I finally got around to watching 3 movies Ive been meaning to see but hadnt - and what a wierd threesome they were- First I FINALLY watched Lynch's Twin Peaks movie- very very weird but by the end I think maybe- maybe I kinda had some idea about what i just saw and kinda what it all meant (sorta)- then I watched Versus- fun film- gets a little confusing too near the very end but for the most part I got it- Then I get to Gozu - I loved Audition and enjoyed the sick and humurous Ichi movie- But what the hell was this all about? Dont get me wrong- this was Miike thru and thru and I enjoyed parts if not most of this- and what is strange is it seemed like a Lynch type movie- But when it was over I had no clue what just happened- can anyone explain if any explanation exists? especially the last 10 minutes or so- and even more so the last minute! All three movies were cool as hell but I gotta watch something a little more simple minded and normal next and rest my mind- lol!

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It means whatever you want it to mean. In other words it will mean something different each time you watch it.

hey, you get your money's worth ;)

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I dunno how to put spoiler tags on... so too bad.

Gozu is one big love story. It's about two gay men really... that chick is sorta symbolic of who's the "chick" in the relationship and who the man is. The birthing scene is the one guy finally coming out etc... and the guy with the half white face is the other guy's conscience... notice how it sorta peels as the film goes on? Thats him realizing he has to let people know he is in love with another man, etc... Thats how I see it anyway.

4. EvilAsh@AOD

EvilAsh@AOD Guest

Wow, interesting interpretation BloodMan!

5. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I must be a homophobe... cause I thought the movie sucked.

6. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Gozu or whatever its called is possibly one of the most boring and pointless movies ive seen in a long time !

7. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

This is a fantastic film, one showing how versatile Miike really is. My take is not to read too much into it...it's sorta like Miike's version of a Godard film, where he knows he can poke fun at his audience, almost saying "I dare you to figure this out". It feels like he's having fun with people (like myself), who try to find meaning in every niche of surreal films. Sure, it has a story, but many things in the film definitely feel like Miike just having some fun.

Either way you slice it though, it's a great film, one of Miike's best.

8. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I just saw this over the weekend and I have to agree with both of the above quotes. I understood the point of the story, I just didn't think it was necessary to drag it out over a 2 hour+ runtime. It felt like Miike took bits and pieces of an actual story and scattered them among long, meaningless and weird-for-weirdness-sake scenes. I'm normally a fan of Miike's work but I was severely disappointed with this one.