Grab a Pulse!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

In ten years, I will not have thought of a funnier scenario than Noto's.

Although I do predict the phrase "That's so Raven!" will become the new hellacool slang for kids everywhere.

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I think thrash metal songs of the 80's will be collected onto Time Life's all new Blast From The Thrash 10 Hyper CD set, where they will be found on late night infomercials for sale for a tv only price of just only 5 easy payments of $19.95.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thanks for all the great responses. There can only be one winner (a relative term), and this time it is...

bigdaddyhorse

Congrats, my well hung friend. PM me your address and out this shall go.

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

congrats, bro!

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

That is a future I want to live in.

6. Tasty Toejam

Tasty Toejam Guest

Isn't everyone but BigDaddyHorse the winner? I mean, we don't have to watch Pulse 3.

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

;)

Congrats Bigdaddy.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Wow, I can't believe I won! Thanks for the congrats all, I'll let everyone know if this movie meets my exacting standards after I rent part 2 and watch both.

Of course everyone's a winner, I just get a new dvd out of the deal.:D

9. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

yay for bigdaddyhorse!!! :) I'll "expect" a full review from you BDH---either to tell me how wrong all the "Pulse non-believers" are or to help steer my curiosity away from what is threatening to be some kind of blind buy just to satisfy curiosity.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

So I'm still waiting on this, but I did all my prep work (picked up part 1 used for a couple bucks, rented part 2 for more than that).
    The first movie is awesome to me, and I'm shocked that I like it more each time I see it (this is only the second time, but still I loved it). Just a cool premise, actors that aren't too annoying, and a bleak grim tone that plays so nicely.

Within 3 minutes of Pulse 2 in the player, my girlfriernd turns to me and says "this is going to be like Open Water 2, a movie with nothing much to do with the original riding it's title". She was right on, although to be fair they carried a few themes and looking back, it should have been great. It just wasn't. It didn't have any of the vibe of the first film, everything looked like it was shot in front of green screen even though there was nothing crazy going on in the backgrounds. Did they run out of cash to clear a street or a backlot stage? I mean, why super-impose a street background, save that trick for when it's needed. Here it just made the movie feel cheap and fake.
    So there was a cool plot to this, which should have been great but just wasn't. This guy has been cheating on his wife, and we start with her trying to find her daughter. The house is full of black ashes, so you know that's not good. Anyway, a cool little twist as she finds her daughter at her aunt's house, and we realize mommy's dead, not the other way around.
    The rest is spent following daddy, who finds little girl, and them trying to run from the digital ghost of mommy. I just couldn't get into or stay interested in this, and it really felt like another drama movie just placed into the Pulse universe.
    So, part 2 didn't even warrent a dub for future consideration, I'm still holding out hopes part 3 will get back to what made the first good, or at least be a goo play off what was set-up. Part 2 tried a different direction, and it was the wrong way.