GRADUATION DAY (1981) box office?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Justin Kerswell, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Linnea Quigley was in it. Saw it twice. Outrossing F13th? Crazy

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I find that hard to believe, but who knows, it was a sequel (which sometimes can deter folks) and maybe Graduation Day had some hype when it first hit the theater.

I bet if it were Graduation Day 2 vs. F13 2 things would have been different :D

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I really liked Graduation Day. Fun slasher.

5. streetlight

streetlight Member

well you have to take into consideration how many weeks both films were in the theaters as well as how many theaters across North America showed both movies. One might have been in the theater longer than the other, and one might have had a wider showing

(never mind, I can see some more data at the bottom of the screen on "the numbers" websites that i didnt a couple minutes ago)

6. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

It seems crazy to think about it, but really, the Friday the 13th machine didn't really kick in until the third. At that point it was just your usual law of diminishing returns for sequels. It's the mask that's iconic, not the potato sack.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Played a week in Reno and a week in San Francisco (with nil repeat showings nor co-featured with newer films later in '81).
    I find the-near $24 million impossible to believe.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

2.4 million, I could possibly believe...

9. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

Obviously a mistake, like Katatonia said, they must mean 2.5 million. I used to read Variety in those days, trust me, if this did this kind of numbers, it would have been in the news in a big way, and would have been in their annual list of top 50 box office hits from Indy studios of all time.

I highly doubt it outgrossed non studio films like ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK in 1981, as GRADUATION DAY would have been talked about, and the studio who released it, IFI SCOPE, would not gone broke, but would have been a key player in those days like MPM, American Cinema, etc.

I recall James Bryan telling me he knows the guys who used to run IFI SCOPE, so I can ask him how GRADUATION DAY really performed.

10. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

Thanks everyone! Bill: if you could check that would be brilliant. It'd be good to get a definitive answer to this once and for all.

Now, all I need to do is find out how much THE BURNING made at the box office ...

11. Ghostkeeper

Ghostkeeper Guest

Graduation day is a worthy slasher film,so is the very underrated Mortuary of the same year(no respect)Come on fans you have to admit the creep meter is up there i don't know there is something about funeral homes,bodies,and embalmers that send chills up my spine.The movie had everything seances,stalking,mysterious deaths and creepy Paul,did you see that costume?

12. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I actually find it quite funny that Graduation Day out did Friday the 13th II.....don't know why....

13. sgtpeppers

sgtpeppers Guest

Shes barely in it. You really have to be looking to even see her.

14. evileye

evileye Member

Actually her role is rater large... it's Vanna White you may miss in a blink!

15. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a definitive list of slasher grosses, but the way movies were platformed and re-released back then, it's probably impossible at this point to get definitive numbers, especially since most slashers are from independents who probably had less than honest book keepers to keep all those tax write-offs intact.