Gremlins Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Cujo108, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

So, apparently Target is advertising this as a store exclusive beginning this upcoming Tuesday. Has anyone heard anything about this? I prefer the sequel, but would definitely pick this up if it isn't a half-hearted release.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

From what I can find online, it is coming to Blu-ray with an official release date of October 13th. But maybe Target has a deal to release it early.

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

^ Good to know. I could only find info on an upcoming UK release.

4. Yeah, same here: For my money, the much better sequel is nearly twice as entertaining, quirky & cool and takes place in a much cooler locale. I just gave away my standard definition DVD of Gremlins 1, but I am holding onto my standard def DVD of Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

I'm REALLY hoping for a Blu-Ray release of it sometime next year if the Gremlins 1 BD sales well enough. It's probably one of my favorite sequels of all time, and I never understood why many never sit down and enjoyed it. Super fun & cool film. I might snatch up the Blu-Ray disc, if the reviews for it are good enough. I would really love both films to be bright and with better colors, but ya know, isn't that always the way?

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Gremlins Blu-ray?!? Yay! I'll definitely pick it up.

Now where the hell is The Goonies Blu-ray? I'm almost tempted to get the UK disc.

6. Whoa, The Goonies on Blu-Ray?! Warner Bros SO need's to get off they're ass and do a region-1 North American version PRONTO! Hell yes! :D :D :D

7. MorallySound

Yup. Gremlins 2 is indeed better than the original. Easily my favorite sequel of all time.

8. Gotta say I agree, once again: The first film is a bit more dated in my opinion, actually, and more of just an okay "holiday" around that time-of-the-year genre picture. The sequel, somehow, was a much more grander and fun & funnier in overall scope, and had a lot of great suitable PG-ish icky FX gags and cameo's and breaking of the 4th wall moments.

It's just an oddly much more fun picture, isn't it? :D Gotta say I watch it on cable So much more growin' up, and I never got all of the hate some level towards it. It's just always been the superior film for me.

I'd say it rounds out my top five sequels of all time, which includes The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and The Empire Strikes Back. It's definately right up there.

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Gremlins 2 is actually the first film that I ever saw twice in theaters. They satirize just about everything in this sequel, and I think it's a blast. Aside from being better than the first one, Phoebe Cates also looked even more amazing than she did before. Perhaps it was her hair style, perhaps it was the uniform, but wow. I loved the different variations on the gremlin design, not to mention all the mutant gremlins we get via the genetic research lab. Electro gremlin and spider Mohawk were my favorites (though one has to wonder just where the hell the former disappeared to in the end).

10. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I really am surprised for the love GREMLINS 2 is getting on here.

I've always loved both films but had that inkling of a thought that I loved the second one just a tad bit more...and if I ever dared to say it out loud in certain circles, I'd be stoned and thrashed upon until I admitted defeat. But alas, I am amongst friends here! lol.

Anyways, yeah I really love both films. I've always had a much better appreciation for the second one because it was the one I saw first of the two and even to this day, I still chuckle at a few scenes. I was stoked when Warner did their special edition DVD. I remember watching the deleted scenes and being just overly grossed out by the melting scene and how graphic it could've been. I'm glad that stuff was missing to be honest because it seemed like it was venturing way too much into the horror film category again, rather than the comedy it was aiming for.

I was not surprised when I found out the first GREMLINS film was going to be a horror film. Aside from a few laugh out loud moments, it really plays as a horror film better than an action/family/comedy as I believe Warner Bros made it sound.

Wasn't there some kind of uproar about this film because it looked like a holiday family film and when parents brought their kids to see it they were horrified by the what they saw on the silver screen? I seem to recall hearing that and that's why part 2 was so much more light hearted and goofy, to kind of make up for the misleading first film.

Either way, I consider both to be classics in their own right. I'd be glad to add them both to my Blu Ray collection any day!

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I believe Goonies was supposed to come out around this time but was delayed until next year.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I can't find any info on this!? It's not even on DVD Aficionado yet.

13. MorallySound

14. Slug

Slug Guest

HDNET Movies has been showing part 2 for a few weeks now.

15. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

The Uk Blu of the Goonies is Region free, so its a no brainer to pick it up.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i prefer gremlins 2 over the first gremlins movie

17. Big thanks spawning, my good man! Ah well, this year is almost over, and so I can wait. The Goonies in full HD on Blu-Ray disc is gonna be beyond awesome.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The reaction to this and Temple of Doom basically forced the MPAA to create the PG-13. Parents took their kids to see these movies and weren't expecting to see old women being shot through the roof and hearts being ripped out of men who are subsequently burned alive. I don't get how Temple of Doom would even pass for a PG-13. The way I've always seen it, if you show a man getting his heart ripped out, then that's an R-rated movie. Oh, Spielberg, you have your ways.

As for why the second film was more lighthearted, that was a stylistic choice of Joe Dante. He basically said that he would only do the sequel if he was allowed to lampoon the first film as well as the industry in general.

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm just going to wait until its official release. It'll probably be cheaper on amazon.