Gremlins Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Cujo108, Sep 24, 2009.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well it looks like Goonies along with Gone with the Wind may possibly be Target's next exclusives.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3471

Damn I want Goonies but Target isn't in Canada and I have a feeling these will be selling for more then they're worth on eBay. I think I can hold out for the actual release in a few months time. That and I wonder if these will be extra less rush outs like Canada's Alliance Blu Ray releases.

2. meljon

meljon New Member

I'm definitely going to get Gremlins. I saw it in the theater and have loved it since then. I have to disagree with you guys, Gremlins 2 didn't do anything for me. It's a lot like Ghostbusters 2, it's too kiddy, which takes away from the original, in my opinion.I know that's what they were trying for, but that's just not my taste. I've thought so since I saw them when was I a kid.

3. budbud

budbud Guest

Goonies may be a Target exclusive first week in October

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Sweet! As long as these actually include the bonus features, then perhaps I can forego ordering the UK Blu-ray of The Goonies.

5. Katatonia

Details about the Gremlins Blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3481

Apparently the same features as the old Special Edition DVD.

6. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Anyone got it yet then?

7. jstell

jstell Member

Yes - got it at Target this morning for $22.99. The only difference in the specs from post #25 is that the aspect ratio is 1.85 (according to the back of the case).

8. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I grabbed it myself. I was surprised to see they only had a few copies left, the girl behind the counter told me they had 15 copies this morning.

We all know it's a great film so I'm sure everyone's interested in the transfer itself which is pretty damn good. It's a bit on the grainy side but overall, it's definitely an improvement over the DVD, if you're a fan of the film and own a Blu Ray player - this is a no brainer, pick this one up.

9. Katatonia

I picked one up at Target earlier, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Warner often states the wrong aspect ratio (and audio, etc.) on the back covers, so I wouldn't doubt if it's actually 1.78:1.

10. CaptHowdy

CaptHowdy Guest

Picked this one up today, but haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet. So far I was underwhelmed by the picture quality.

11. Really? I'll probably end up picking it up, no doubt, but not anytime soon.

I'm really wanting my Blu-Ray collection to grow, however, but only for titles that I truely want, and that does my fine TV set and Blu home theater set up justice, as of late.

I've noticed that a lot of my favorite older '70s & '80s titles tend to be a bit more grainy, however, we should all remind ourselves that 35mm film like all things in life, ages, and is however not always perfect. Besides that whole time period of film, the '70s and first querter of the '80s, tended to have an unusual higher amount of grain in the film stock then older generations, so often times, it can only be re-mastered so much.

I'll probably hold out for the release of the second film, or the inevitable breif period of time that a Blu-Ray two-pack will be release by Warner.

12. Katatonia

The transfer looks pretty good and is an upgrade from the old DVD, but it's not jaw dropping in HD. There's definitely film grain present, but thankfully I didn't notice any DNR tinkering. The lossless audio track sounded really nice.

I did notice that the deleted scenes are Progressive flagged (though still non-anamorphic) on the Blu-ray, and the "jaggies" are absent that appear on the old DVD which presented those scenes Interlaced.