Greta - March 1st, 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

A sweet, naïve young woman trying to make it on her own in New York City, Frances (Chloë Grace Moretz) doesn’t think twice about returning the handbag she finds on the subway to its rightful owner. That owner is Greta (Isabelle Huppert), an eccentric French piano teacher with a love for classical music and an aching loneliness. Having recently lost her mother, Frances quickly grows closer to widowed Greta. The two become fast friends — but Greta’s maternal charms begin to dissolve and grow increasingly disturbing as Frances discovers that nothing in Greta’s life is what it seems in this suspense thriller from Academy Award®-winning director Neil Jordan.

In theaters this March. I can't wait to see this one! Looks fantastic!

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

That trailer showed me the entire goddamn movie.

Katatonia and chancetx like this.
  3. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm glad I didn't see that trailer before I went to the movie. Or maybe I wish I had. Just got back from watching this and it was a big letdown. So much potential and it just didn't deliver. It either needed to be much darker and more intense or go over-the-top campy. Sadly it's pretty lifeless, only slightly better than a Lifetime movie. I wondered if the script might have been laying around awhile as it felt akin to 90s thrillers like "Single White Female" and "Hand That Rocks The Cradle." Beautifully shot, though. Maika Monroe from "It Follows" plays Moretz's best friend/roommate. Wait for streaming.

Katatonia likes this.
  4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Very lackluster film that seemed to drag even though it was only a little over 90 minutes. Rated R for two relatively brief scenes. Isabelle Huppert who plays Greta did a good job while Moretz's character acted in such a way that I was routing for her to die. Wait for streaming is correct.

chancetx likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

I hadn't seen the trailer since I originally posted that (unlike Pet Sematary and The Intruder, which play before every freaking movie), so I didn't remember any specific set-pieces aside from a crazed Huppert terrorizing good samaritan Moretz who returned her purse. Re-watching it now, that trailer does give away a lot!

As for the movie though, I'll be the contrarian and say that I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of last March's Unsane, where you have kind of an old-fashioned B-movie script with A-level talent behind and in front of the camera. Hopefully the trend continues and we'll get another movie like these in March 2020.

It's a formula movie for sure, and it rarely deviates too wildly. Moretz is kind of bland, but Huppert is a joy to watch and Maika Monroe has a really fun role in this as well. Expect brief appearances from Colm Feore (who was also in last month's The Prodigy) and Stephen Rea.

The movie is punctuated by little moments and set-pieces that put a big grin on my face. Just little things like Huppert sipping wine and scrolling through Moretz's Facebook. Or her simply standing in front of Moretz's work, even as the cops show up and can't do anything about it. The most exciting bit is a stalking sequence where Huppert is following Maika Monroe's character. It's all very silly and all in good fun.

As mentioned, the R-rating here is pretty mild, basically relegated to just one little scene near the end. This was never going to be a gorefest, so it's more forgivable here than in something like the nearly bloodless slasher movie Hell Fest, for example.

So yeah, this is nothing you haven't seen before, but if you like the occasional formula stalker-thriller every now and then, then this one has some fun with it.

chancetx likes this.
  6. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I imagine I'll give it another watch when it hits streaming or Bluray. I've still been thinking about the movie several days after seeing it so it clearly made some kind of impression. I've been thinking if you removed the current technology this could have been one of those psycho-biddy/grande dame guignol movies from the 60s/70s and I'm a sucker for those maybe I'm being too critical with "Greta." On the other hand my expectations are greater now so things I can overlook in a 50-year old movie aren't so easily dismissed in something made today.

7. CPT HOOK

Coming to blu-ray on May 28th:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]