GRINDHOUSE full movie coming to dvd/blu-ray AUG 11th???

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 22, 2009.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm a bit of a videophile so I have some compassion for audiophiles. If a video was lower than what I would expect, I'd cancel my pre-order too. It doesn't matter how much I like Kubrick's Spartacus, since the video isn't up to spec I'm not going to buy it.

But on the other hand I'm not an audiophile, so I'll be ordering the Grindhouse Blu-ray. :D

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's true. I held off from buying it as well. I love how Criterion owns the rights to some of these films, and then their rightful studios choose to release the blu-rays themselves and completely fuck up the transfers. Like, if you're gonna just half-ass it and piss people off and as a result people won't buy them, just let Criterion fucking release them. Ran is a mess, as is Spartacus, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Third Man, Contempt (while it looks good, it still looks slightly washed out - Criterion would've done a better job for sure - just look at how vibrant Pierrot le fou looks - oh wait, the rights for that went back to StudioCanal! And guess what? They fucked up that transfer too! Surprise, surprise).

Shit like THAT pisses me off. Let's demand that Criterion cannot release these films anymore because we're going to release our own versions and just half-ass it when Criterion would've done the films justice. But I mean, people are cancelling their orders because of DVD quality sound? Little drastic, considering it is only $22. The original Grindhouse versions have NEVER been released on blu-ray so that's still a strong selling point. But yeah, like someone mentioned earlier, the people on the blu-ray.com message boards piss me off too. SO many of them are just so irritating.

~Matt

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The only Spartacus Blu-ray disc has DVD quality video and is less than $15.00. Why don't you own that? Same logic.

I can't judge someone who says the audio is inferior when the specs clearly show it to be. If a Blu-ray's video bitrate peaked at 10Mb/s I'd feel the same way. I wouldn't buy that Blu-ray, so why would I berate someone who doesn't buy a Blu-ray for the same reasoning?

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Not to go off topic, but I'd have to disagree with that. The Spartacus Blu-ray transfer could certainly be far better, but it's still superior to the Criterion DVD transfer in terms of detail/sharpness and wider framing. Some screen comparisons can be found here. The main issues would be with the questionable color grading and DNR of the transfer used on the Blu-ray.

Would Criterion best it if they were to remaster the print and release it on Blu-ray today? Undoubtedly so.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Still, doesn't lossless audio defeat the purpose of a "Grindhouse" experience? There are still hisses and pops in the soundtrack (obviously intentional) and the print is intentionally marred with print damage. While I can see that releasing the film on blu-ray would produce more natural grain, making the movie look more film-like, but with the sound...doesn't the film lose effect when everything sounds perfect?

These films are meant to have that low-budget, shlocky B-movie look to them, yet people are demanding perfect lossless audio? I dunno, seems rather paradoxical to me, since the filmmakers' INTENTION was for the films to look rough and dated.

~Matt

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No, it certainly isn't the same logic. Spartacus SHOULD look and sound good. It wasn't a low-budget film from the '70s, so a remastering job on that film should have the film look perfect. Grindhouse should NOT look and sound good. If they do, the films completely lose their purpose.

It's not like DVD audio is inaudible. I think people are making way too big a deal over this.

I consider myself an audiophile. I buy vinyl over CDs. Why? Because vinyl more accurately reproduces a soundwave, whereas a CD merely takes samples of the same sound waves. I held off on buying other blu-rays because the audio wasn't lossless, but for Grinhouse? Seriously? I don't understand why people care so much. It's NOT supposed to look or sound good. The films have MISSING REELS, for Christ's sake!

~Matt

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  7. Alright i can't wait to sell my old DVDs for this one since i'm a fan of the theatrical Grindhouse movie.

8. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I can understand why people would be upset but, since I don't have a receiver capable of playing back lossless audio, I won't be cancelling my pre-order.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I think the problem is with people who own the old Blu-rays of the two films. They both had lossless audio, and from what I've heard commented had some real kick to them too. It's an obvious downgrade in the audio department.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

This comes out and no one comments?!? WTF?!?! lol I picked this up today. The extra features are great. The extended trailer of Werewolf Women is actually quite long! Lots more footage in that one. They really cut down that trailer for the actual movie. The extended trailer of Don't is pretty cool as well. During the behind the scenes footage, Udo Kier shows off his corset and latex pants. LOL That was quite funny.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yeah this was awesome one of the best blu-ray releases in 2010 love all the new extra features especially the making of the fake trailers and even the fact it has the hobo with a shotgun fake trailer on there also is cool

12. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

MUST get this. I own the two separate releases but this is worth it for Thanksgiving alone! BTW, anyone have any news on what's happening with Thanksgiving? Eli Roth has confirmed that he will be directing it (after doing some sci-fi flick), but I haven't heard anything more in over a year...

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I picked this up on release date along with The Exorcist. This is one of my favorite blu-ray purchases this year. I am LOVING this set. The packaging is super cool (similar in style to the Savage Streets DVD) and it even has a small insert with the posters for Death Proof and Planet Terror. The special features kick ass, especially the commentaries and documentaries on the fake trailers. Really cool shit. For $21.99, I have to admit this was way under-priced.

I dunno about the US, but here in Canada (since this set was released by Alliance) there was also a 2-disc DVD set as well. For those of you who really wanted a DVD release of this, you can probably find it on amazon.ca. All the same features, just on DVD.

~Matt

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Compressed audio is not a part of the 70's "grindhouse experience" associated with film damage, audio drop outs, etc any more than say MPEG-2 video compression is. Hiss and pops have nothing to do with audio being lossless or not. But peak audio, round offs, digital glitches and compression artifacts do have to do with lossy audio. As I explained, some people can hear when audio is digitally compressed. It's bad enough there are people saying VHS issues are part of the movie experience, but give DVD a decade and now suddenly MPEG-2's failings are an essential part of the theatrical experience too?

I don't really want to get into a huge argument over this but it sounds like all anyone is saying is that for Blu-ray DVD quality audio is fine but DVD quality video is not. And all I'm say is that to select AUDIOPHILES that is simply not the case. And I think anyone with an eye for video compression should respect those with an ear for audio compression.

15. Kolpitz

I've only had a chance to watch the movie but it's great to finally own this version. As for the audio, I don't have a receiver capable of playing lossless audio anyway so I wouldn't have noticed any difference.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Can someone who owns this confirm once and for all:
    Is the Machete trailer still intact and in front of Plant Terror? I keep hearing yes and no.

17. Kolpitz

It's definitely there. This is the exact same movie that was shown in theaters back in 2007, complete with the Machete trailer, Planet Terror theatrical version (in 2.35:1), Werewolf Women of the SS trailer, Acuna Boys Tex-Mex Restaurant ad, Don't trailer, Thanksgiving trailer, Death Proof theatrical version and all of the bumpers ("Prevues of Coming Attractions", "Restricted: No One Under 18 Will Be Admitted", etc.). The only weird thing is that it's broken into two parts. The first part is approximately 91 minutes and includes the Machete trailer and Planet Terror. The second part is approximately 100 minutes and includes everything else. There's a slight, albeit seemless, pause between the two (nothing worse than a layer change).

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Whoever said no is either insane or got some defective copy because Machete was there where it's supposed to be.

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I wish there was some bonus features relating to Machete, but I guess Fox is holding onto those for their release of the Machete movie.

20. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

anyone check out the BD live features? They aren't even up and running yet....