GRINDHOUSE full movie coming to dvd/blu-ray AUG 11th???

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

There's bound to be rights issues since Machette turned into a real film. If the Weinsteins were a solid company, this should be no issue. They put out Grindhouse, they put out Machette, no damage. But with them spread out all over the place and others owning their shit, we get gypped out of not just a trailer, but part of the film. Basiclly, it's now edited. Fuck!

Not the end of the world, but certainly more than annoying.

Oh, I never really thought that the second disc could be just and only extras for each film. If so the wording is somewhat misleading, but this is a strong possibility looking at it now.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

So just so i'm clear the Blu-ray is not going to contain the extended editions?

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Glad I never bought the individual Blu-ray releases of Planet Terror and Death Proof. I'm sick of double dips. If the Machete trailer is not included, I don't see this as a deal killer. Still sucks nevertheless. The extended versions would have been a big plus on this release. It's possible that those details posted on DVD Talk are inaccurate? There's always hope...

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I don't give a shit about Blu-ray. This isn't going to convince me to switch.

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I've waited so long and it's finally here. Yay! I can't wait to see those trailers and I'm betting I'll like a shorter version of Death Proof much more. Those woman talk for what feels like an eternity.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Why are you glad you never bought the individual Blu-ray releases when the this edition isn't going to include the extended versions?

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Read my post. I am sick of double dips!

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I wouldn't call it a double dip if it's a different version. I can easily see myself in the mood for either the theatrical or the extended.

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I am excited for this blu release- (although bummed that the machete trailer wont be included - that is just kinda dumb it couldnt be included) - I have the steel books of the seperate extended movies and enjoyed the extended version of DeathProof quite a bit- but it wasnt as much fun as seeing them together with the fake trailers like at the movie theatre- so these will benefit greatly being together again-
    I am (personally) not of the same opinion of Kill Bill (one of my all time fave movies) - I really think those work great seperately and if the whole bloody affair is ever released I may rent it but probably wont buy it- I even like the black and white switch during the bloody battle at the end of part 1. I thought I had read somewhere that this was a wink to older movies that had done the same to pass the censors (anyone else heard that?) Anyways cant wait for this proper release of Grindhouse.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I would call it a double dip since I already have the extended versions on dvd.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ah, but you're not really SWITCHING. All you are doing is adding another capability. It's not like once you get a Blu-Ray player all your old DVDs turn into dust. You'll still be able to play standard def DVDs on a Blu-Ray player (although multi-region stuff complicates things, I won't lie and say it doesn't), but you'll also be able to play Blus if something comes out only on that format.

There's a line I like to use when discussing video formats with people. "Standard-definition analog video is NOT making a comeback"

12. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I also like the Kill Bill movies separately, as Tarantino did a fantastic job of giving each entry their own unique feel. Also, I love every second of these movies and I'm pretty sure the Whole Bloody Affair is going to delete footage. I'm pretty sure that Tarantino has stated that it would be a completely different movie, with different editing (including maybe different takes and / or different camera angles), as well as a completely different pace (which would require trimming of scenes). And, as such, would probably end up being much closer to the 3 1/2 hour running time originally planned for one movie, rather than the 4 1/4 hour running time of both films separately. This is what is taking this release so long. For Tarantino, it's not merely a matter of slapping the two films together and calling it a day, but of creating an almost completely different movie (sadly, the Leone-esque pacing of Vol. 2 will probably be jettisoned to match the faster pacing of Vol. 1). Like Grindhouse, this will be one of the few movies where I will want to own both versions.

I read an early draft of the Kill Bill script, which included several scenes that were never filmed or were altered, as well as missing several scenes that were in the final films. Anyway, in that draft, it has the switch to B&W right in the screenplay so, in my mind, I've always felt that the B&W version was cooler and more accurate to Tarantino's original version. However, I love a lot of the deleted bits during that fight that are only in the color version. As for the origins of the B&W censoring, this is what IMDb says:

Contrary to what it says, I know the B&W bit was in the script. However, the explanation of the B&W censoring is accurate to what Tarantino has said in interviews.

13. Franco

Franco Weekender

Time to buy a blu-ray player.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

RE: The black and white in Kill Bill Volume 1. I was ok with it too, until I saw the color version. It's not the color itself (and all the blood sprays) that make it the preferred way to see it, it's the flow. The scene just moves better without that jarring switch, then switch back. Because right after that is the silhoutted sequence, and that was really too many visual tricks in such a short span.

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

But doesnt the whole bloody affair already exist overseas? So not sure what would take him so long if its available elsewhere already. Thanks for the explanation on the black and white- I do love Kill Bill - although I am not totally sold if I want there to be a 3&4 or not- I felt 1&2 were dang near perfect- I have faith in QT but they would have a lot to live up to.

16. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

As far as I know, there has never been an official release of The Whole Bloody Affair. I could be wrong or the overseas version may just be that slapped together version I talked about. I know there are several fanedits out there but, of course, those don't count.

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I remember when people said that about DVD in 2000-2001.

18. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Really glad to hear this is coming out. Even if it is missing one trailer.

On the whole not wanting to switch to Blu Ray thing - yeah I was kind of reluctant too to be perfectly honest. I bashed Blu Ray every chance I got and refused to cave in...until I got a 40" LCD TV for Christmas and saw the difference 1080p made...then, I was hooked.

Problem is just like with VHS, DVDs are going to become obsolete. There is a very good reason DVDs released now aren't containing as much extras as their Blu Ray counterparts or that two disc DVD special editions seem to be disappearing from store shelves - digital copy releases don't count - the fact is DVD is being phased out.

It's not happening as quickly as VHS did but it is happening. And it's costing studios more money to produce titles on both formats so they're putting most of their eggs into the format that's thriving and growing in revenue every month.

Eventually it's not going to be about switching over to Blu Ray, eventually you're not going to have a choice unless you're content with watching every movie you own on DVD over and over again once titles stop being released on that format, but it's not even like the VHS to DVD switch. As everyone has said you can keep your DVDs and still play them. It's not like everything in your library is going to have to be converted to Blu Ray unless of course you choose to buy the title if it does come out, or has already.

Fact of the matter is this - it's ultimately your choice not to support Blu Rays, but millions of people are and eventually DVDs are going to be no more. It's also worth saying you're not putting anyone out besides yourself, the quality on these discs is amazing.

I've seen DAY OF THE DEAD at least 100,000 times and seeing it on Blu Ray was likes seeing it for the first time. You see every detail as if you're in the film - sure some transfers are better than others but I digress.

Everyone will have to cave eventually.

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

okay.
    I'm sorry but I don't have enough money to buy a Blu-Ray player. Why must they ONLY release it for Blu-Ray. This really pisses me off because money is tight with my family at the moment and this would be just another thing. If they were to release this on fucking DVD, then this wouldn't be that bad. I love Grindhouse, I've been waiting for this release for a long while and then come time find out it's only Blu-Ray. well damn it. I want this movie, but I can't afford a Blu-Ray player at the moment. Does anyone think it'll be released to DVD at ANYTIME? I really want this, but I'm going to pay for a Blu-Ray player (and the HD TV it most likely require) to have this movie.
    /end rant.

BUT, I'm happy this is being released :D!

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I doubt it. In fact, the next release of this film will probably be in 3D. HD is an expensive investment (player, TV, cables, etc).