GRINDHOUSE full movie coming to dvd/blu-ray AUG 11th???

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 22, 2009.

1. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

That's exactly how I read it to. There's nothing there that says it won't be on there. The wording is just a little tricky and makes it sound that way. All they're saying is that the Machete trailer wasn't a "faux" trailer like the others.

Like you said, it's always been a part of Planet Terror, so I assume that's why it wasn't listed in the IGN article. I'm sure it'll be on there.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well we will all know the truth when the dvd gets released.

Simple. No Machete trailer = No buy.

Just like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for Blu-ray. No extended versions = No buy.

3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I take it to mean that the Machete trailer isn't "faux" since it's a trailer for an actual movie, not that it won't be included.

I don't have Blu yet either. I want it, but I just can't justify the expense. My movie collecting "hobby" has basically been on hiatus for well over a year now.

4. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

If this really has all the fake trailers and everything, it may force me to buy a blu-ray player...

I've been waiting for the format war between HD-DVD and blu-ray to end before making a decision, but I suppose now I have no excuse (other than cost). My TV is 15+ years old too, maybe it's time to think about upgrading that too. I don't want to rush into anything though :)

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

6. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

The irony that 2 "grindhouse" films, both of which were intentionally made to look scratchy and beat up, will only be released on Blu-ray.
    If they wanted to do this thing right they'd do a blu-ray release and a special LP VHS big box release. As it stands I don't own a blu-ray player (we have a 21" Sharp Linytron television from the 80's in the bedroom and a 27" iMac near the living room) so I guess I'll just download this release instead of buy it.
    You hear that movie studio??? Ready and able customer here can't buy your shit so I'll take it for free instead. Not a terribly smart business decision :)

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So, you're going on the assumption that Blu Ray and HD is just some kind of fad? We'll be back to standard definition DVDs before long?

Shouldn't they release it on Laserdisc too, then? I still have a LD player.

8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

They should really just release it in Super-8, then everyone could rough it up to their own satisfaction :)

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yes, because refusing to embrace a new and improved format justifies theft.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Before y'all jump down my throat for telling you to get on the Blu-Ray bandwagon, look, I get it. Adding a new playback device when you're perfectly happy with your existing one (plus if you don't have an HD screen, you wouldn't be seeing the effects of it anyway) is an expense you'd rather not have to pay out.

But like I've mentioned several times already, you gotta realize that HD and Blu are the ways of the future, and DVD will have to be phased out. It's just a matter of time. Fewer and fewer titles will get released in old SD, and eventually DVDs won't be made anymore. This appears to be one of those titles that will be released on Blu only. There will be more. Get used to it.

It literally is like the last days of Laserdisc. I remember saying that I wasn't gonna buy a DVD player (and FYI, when I did get one, I got an entry-level model....for $250! Blu-Rays cost way less than that). And for a while, titles came out on both LD and DVD, so I was happy. Eventually, that changed, and I had to get a DVD player if I wanted to see the movies I was interested in.

You can bitch to the studios all you want, they won't listen. You're gonna have to go Blu at some point.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

While I 100% agree that HD and Blu-ray are the clear future, Grindhouse will be coming out on SD DVD I'm sure. What they're probably doing is trying to squeeze a few more pennies out of the hardcore fan base before releasing it on SD DVD.

We have a few more years yet until recent theatrical releases like Grindhouse abandon SD DVD. It'll be a seamless, painless process to most all but the elderly; much like VHS to DVD was.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

How is it ironic? You do realize that blu-ray looks closer to 35mm than a format like VHS or DVD or BETA, right? So, in actuality, blu-ray would most closely represent what people saw in theatres (and fyi, they LEFT the scratch marks intact on the blu-ray releases of Death Proof and Planet Terror). Grindhouse films were NEVER meant to look like VHS tapes, either. VHS was just inferior technology. Home video hadn't developed to the point where people could watch films in high quality which, for its relative size on an HDTV (say, 42") would closely resemble the look of actual film. Sure if you blew it up to a theatre-sized screen, 35mm would win in terms of resolution and clarity. But, projected at 42" (or 52" or whatever size the average person's TV screen is), blu-rays can resemble the look of film astonishingly well.

~Matt

13. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Oh I never said blu-ray was a fad. What I said was that I didn't own a player as I don't have a display that would benefit from a 1080p source.
    I also said it would be neat if they released a LP VHS along with it (ala House of the Devil) just for kicks.

You guys are aware that your blu-ray player also plays dvds beautifully right? The nice thing about the blu-ray format is the transition doesn't have to be as jarring as the jump from vhs to dvd was. There's no reason at this point for a studio to completely abandon the DVD format while so many people have not made the leap into hi-def. Understand now?

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The funny thing about all of this talk about eventually having to upgrade to blu-ray is that lately I've actually been watching more VHS than I have DVDs! :lol:

15. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

1) It's called copyright infringement, not theft. The two are very different things. Don't play into the hands of corporations that would like to fool you by distorting what the law actually is.

2) "Refusing to embrace a new and improved format"?!? Grim if you don't work for Sony you sure as shit sound like you do. Hot damn these companies know EXACTLY what they're doing. Almost have to respect a machine that works so amazingly well.

Check this out. I'm happy with the entertainment system I've got. Happy with it. I don't see any value in "upgrading" to whatever the newest and bluest thingy is. I like the way movies look. I'm not alone in that. Lots and lots and lots of consumers are still perfectly content to be stuck in the "dark ages" of DVD. (before you even try to refute that please do a google search for some data on the subject). I manage a very large media department and I can tell you from ACTUAL SALES NUMBERS that blu-ray represents only 6% of our overall video sales. This is from a very high dollar type (Cherry Creek, Colorado) customer base too. 6%. Does 6% sound like enough people to start putting things out on blu-ray only???
    You should see how our customers reacted when Disney decided to release their newest offerings on blu-ray only for a month and then DVD later. We sold nothing. So much so that we ended up getting a call from the distributer apologizing for the snafu and an assurance that Disney promised it would not happen again. Sure enough it did not.
    I have no doubt that blu-ray is the best format out there. I have no doubt that movies look really awesome on blu-ray on a gigantic 1080p display. I have no doubt that as years go by blu-ray will gain a larger percentage of the video sales market and dvd will eventually begin to decline.
    However, that time is not now and there's no reason for a company to not offer a movie on DVD and Blu-ray.
    In 5 years I'm sure I'll pick up an amazing blu-ray player for $30 from the local grocery store and grab someone's old 720p 32" LCD for free from freecycle or craigslist but for right now that just ain't gonna happen. I'm quite frugal and save most of my hard earned.
    Now don't get it wrong, it's not something I'm passionate about. Some of you dudes are just too silly to ignore though :D

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

If they keep releasing things on DVD and not push blu-ray, then less and less people will take the leap into high def. People hate change, even if it's change for the better. I fully support companies pushing a new format and leaving behind the old one.

17. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

It's ironic because they're Grindhouse exploitation movies where low budget production values and poor print quality are staples of the genre. You hop in your delorean, head back to 1975 new york and pitch the idea of razor-sharp-crystal-clear-surround-sound-hi-definition-true-to-source-home-theater-entertainment to anyone making or playing these movies. You'd be lucky to get back to 2010 without catching a beating for being insane. :)

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

What's so silly about embracing a new format? So by this logic did you wait until the past five to get a DVD player? Because I'm fairly certain that a decent DVD player (not some shit off brand model) were over $30.

And call it theft, copyright infringement, whatever. Still, fans doing shit like that is what prevents us getting the titles we love on these new formats because they don't sell. Blu-ray is still a niche market right now and we, along with other die hard movie fans, are that niche. If companies don't see that the format is selling well enough even with us, then they won't think it will catch on with the mainstream either and it could die out. Then we're stuck with DVD still until HD downloads or whatever becomes a viable format in the next five or ten years, but then we'll still have the people that won't even embrace that too.

His point is that the increased resolution actually reveals more of the scratches, marks, and defects added to the film than a DVD or a limited edition VHS would. It would replicate more accurately the Grindhouse experience that we all got in theaters.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  19. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Dude like I said, I hope Sony's actually paying you for this.
    Let me be sure I understand.
    You, as a consumer, think choice is a bad thing and forced format adoption is a good thing because it's what the companies say everyone wants?

You should PM me for some amazing property I've got to sell. :D

I'm gonna have to revisit this thread in a couple days and see if you dudes are still at it.

20. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I will answer this one plain and simple.

BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO. I DON'T NEED A HI-DEF PLAYER OR DISPLAY. IT COSTS MORE THAN I'M WILLING TO PAY.
    I'M THE CONSUMER. THE COMPANIES DO MY GODDAMN BIDDING, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

If I were the only fool on earth happy with DVD I'd say go right ahead and stop making them. Laserdisc and VHS died a perfectly natural death because consumers had ADOPTED new formats willingly (I'm old enough to remember these periods first hand).
    The MAJORITY OF HOME VIDEO CONSUMERS STILL USE DVD PLAYERS EVEN THOUGH BLU-RAY IS READILY AVAILABLE TO THEM.
    This means that companies need to continue to make movies in both formats until prices match what consumers feel is worth their upgrade efforts.
    Dude honestly if you don't understand this very basic tenant of economics then you're just being obtuse, which I totally like :)