Grindhouse Releasing (Pieces & The Beyond)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Is the puzzle in the sleeve or actual snap case?

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The puzzle in my panties. :p

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  3. Mutilated Prey

I don't believe you. Lemme check :D

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So snap case then? ;)

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  5. Mutilated Prey

Well, I couldn't take the suspense anymore and opened my copy from BullMoose. Low and behold, the puzzle was there! It's in the snapper case. I was curious cause the CD is in between the slipcase sleeve and the snapper case.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

That's where I found the puzzle too...not in Dobby's panties.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well I guess you just don't know how to get your hands on anything in panties then. But they're puzzles for sure.

8. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

That VHS guy's video had something interesting about CAV, distributing company on Pieces and numerous releases. He bought a copy of the limited edition with puzzle for $80. So, CAV was hoarding copies to sell for inflated prices, very sleazy and shady.

9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Was thinking something was up when Pieces sold out in record time. Love the movie, but there is no way these could have sold so quickly. It's not Fright Night.

If CAV are selling these though the after market, it should be considered a conflict of interest.

10. Mutilated Prey

I dunno, is 3000 puzzle copies really that small for this flick? Maybe I'm underestimating it's draw. I would think there's tons of them still out there for easy picking.

Dobby, x666x and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    PIECES just arrived today 3/5 - I preordered from Amazon back in January...no puzzle. Great looking release!

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

That whole video is so uninformed and slanderous it's HILARIOUS! He didn't check any of his 'facts' he claims to have ranted about. He was just sore and completely ill-informed that because he pre-ordered his copy from AMAZON, where there was NO GUARANTEE you'd get a puzzle even if you preordered and of course his order didn't come with one. Grindhouse all along verified and commented the only way to guarantee a puzzle was to pre-order from them directly or from DiabolikDVD before a certain date. And the comment about CAV selling the puzzles separately is also pretty ridiculous. So he jumped the bullet and bought himself one on ebay for an inflated $80 from some individual seller (it wasn't CAV), serves him right if you ask me for spouting lies.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Apparently Diabolik is selling opened copies in a "polybag" as brand new for the same price. If I paid $30 and got an opened blu-ray in a zip-lock bag, I'd be pretty annoyed. Glad I never order from there!

As for someone paying $80 for the puzzle... LOL! It's the size of a 4x6 photograph, just a tiny little thing. It's probably worth about $3 at the most. Maybe if it were the real puzzle (which actually still exists and is shown on the extra features) or actual size, but they're going to be disappointed.

I did want the puzzle, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, so I dodged the whole Amazon/Diabolik puzzle drama and simply went for the cheapest price ($22.65 shipped from DeepDiscount) and ended up getting the puzzle anyway. Works for me!

I had seen Pieces once before several years ago on one of those cheap-o public domain sets and to be honest, I didn't really care for it. But horror / slasher fans seem to go gaga for it, so I figured it was worth a retry, and what better way than a new 4K restoration from Grindhouse?

I did enjoy it more this time (and the blu-ray looks terrific), but I still think it's a bit overrated in the horror community. The gore is fantastic and there are some chuckles here and there, but it's pretty average fare in comparison to some of the Italian stuff from that time. I will say the movie goes by quickly, it didn't even feel like an hour had gone by. That's generally a subconscious sign that I was enjoying the movie more than I thought I did.

I only watched the first disc and worth pointing out, there are at least two easter eggs on there
    (one on the main menu and one on the special features menu)
    I had to laugh, one of the photo galleries is all the unused photos of nude women posing for the infamous puzzle photo, but when you get to the last one it's a shot of full-frontal Kendall from the movie.

14. MorallySound

HAHAHA! Again, more misinformed information spreading...

In actuality their PIECES listing has a disclaimer indicating they replaced the slipcovers on DAMAGED copies - hence the polybag repackaging. So they are actually doing cult movie fans an additional service by guaranteeing their order is of the upmost quality!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

DiabolikDVD is the BEST independent cult movie retailer out there, and I recommend them over Amazon any day of the week for service, reliability, and shipping (not to mention amazing selection of stuff from around the world) so to see so many people ill-informedly just blast out stuff they heard from other people online without actually fact-checking I've got to set it straight.

If you need more info, full details on everything directly from DiabolikDVD here: https://www.facebook.com/DiabolikDVD/posts/10154063413098530

15. CPT HOOK

Brand new is brand new. You'd think they'd send the damaged copies back to the distributor and have them replaced. At least they have a disclaimer up though.

I ordered from them once when they had the Scorpion blu-ray exclusives and wasn't impressed. I also threw in a copy of the German blu-ray of The Boogeyman. The release had 2 different covers, so I requested one and they sent me the other. Wasn't a big deal, never contacted them about it, but I can't say they went above and beyond with their service.

Also, they're way overpriced and their shipping cost for a single item is about 2x what it should be. Although it's cool that they ship overseas. If I lived overseas, they'd probably be a great resource for getting ahold of US releases. But here in the US, I can't say they have much to offer me.

Also, in what way was that comment misinformed? I said they were shipping opened copies in a polybag. Your response then confirms that they are?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  16. MorallySound

The fact that CAV/Grindhouse sent THEM additional slipcovers streamlines the process of damaged/returned goods if you ask me. I'd much prefer that than having to get an email from them saying I'd have to wait even more time on my pre-order. I'd be tearing the original shrink wrap off the second I'd get the package anyway, so polybag re-wrap is fine (and you can even use it again to re-seal it after - which you can't do with no ripped off shrink wrap!) To your order, if you didn't contact them how would you know they even carried both covers? And if they did (if they had listings for both), they could have been out of the one you requested - but you never followed up. Sure, you're going to pay a little more than Amazon both on price and shipping, but that's because they are a SMALL business, not a giant conglomerate like Amazon that has the ability to underprice stuff. I might be able to sway a little more in your favour here if I lived in the US, but as a Canadian I'm used to having to bite the bullet on shipping and exchange rates on any and every order outside the most-often over-priced Amazon.ca (for stuff that I want) so that's not a deal breaker for me.

17. CPT HOOK

The listing said they had two randomly chosen covers. When you place an order, there is a box for additional order instructions, which is where I requested the cover I wanted. They could have gotten in touch with me before it shipped if they only had one cover. They didn't. Again, it wasn't a dealbreaker, as it was the disc I was after. I just can't say that in my experience that they've done anything above and beyond as a retailer, so you might as go for the better price if the service is no different from anywhere else.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Pieces arrived in the post today in sunny UK from deepdiscount, however it's an easter gift from my wife so got to wait till the end of March before I can get my hands on it, can't wait, hope I got the puzzle.

19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I started ordering here and there from Diabolik early last year and never had a single issue. Don't like their prices? don't order from them. Boom.

7_RaggedTiger likes this.
  20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also only recently started using Diabolik. I've probably ordered about 10 titles from them so far and never had an issue. They get a lot of the hard to find titles and generally have reasonable prices.