Grindhouse Releasing (Pieces & The Beyond)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Baggio honestly what difference would it have sincerely honestly made? Anyway I have yet to watch this so I will give it a spin before I crash tonight.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The difference it would encourage people that get an unnumbered product to simply send it back without opening the product and get a full refund. Which by the way most of you here should have done. If you pre ordered an item with the assumption, dare I say guarantee(specifically here we are talking about a puzzle)and didn't get it, then send it back. An unnumbered Blu/DVD would guarantee that it's NOT the Limited Edition. But at least then one could make the decision to open the Blu/DVD or just send it back. Obviously the price will also come into play in their decision. Another avenue is if you get said merchandise(numbered) that was guaranteed to have whatever bonus item inside. And it didn't get included, you could then contact the company and they would take care of it.

Trust me, nobody, I mean nobody has ever taken advantage of me in retail. In person or online, from a $10 item to as high as an automobile. I pay for an item, I get what I paid for.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Real talk right there but I can't complain I never preordered it. I do believe wago and a few others did and were left empty handed. That is a great point but wishful thinking. By not numbering the boxes grindhouse was able to supposedly sell 3000. So more power to them for making a quick buck. That is the price of doing business. Sure it's annoying for some as I never planned on buying it. I recall not enjoying the old $1 dumpster bins DVD. After all the discussions I was intrigued to buy it. Hook line and sucker bait and switch. Can't be mad or pissed at grindhouse releasing. It just is what it is business. However yes it was fucked up.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

But baggio, by not numbering it encourages customers to continue buying, hoping to find that precious puzzle. It's frustrating for fans but from a sell-through perspective....

5. Stige

Stige Active Member

Got a puzzle from DDD, so this little cardboard thing is a collectors item?

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, I get it now. I was under the assumption that they only produced 3000 in total. Like what Twilight Time does. Didn't realize that there were 3000 puzzles among more than 3000 copies.

So basically what we got here is baseball cards. Everybody buying packs hoping to find that rare rookie card. So if that's the case, why is anyone complaining that they didn't get their puzzle? Grindhouse Releasing said first 3000 had puzzle. A pre order doesn't guarantee anything. If you didn't get the puzzle it just means that someone was in "pre order" line before you. Plus take in to account the store where you got it. If someone pre ordered it at Amazon, and Amazon was sent 200 copies, 100 with and 1oo without the puzzle, then obviously the first people in "pre order" line got the puzzle. Think about it 3000 is nothing. 100 here, 100 there, it adds up fast. Think of how many online stores there are. Obviously I'm just using 100 as an example. It could be a lot less per store or a lot more, but you get the idea. Bottom line is that Grindhouse sent stock to several stores, both puzzle and non puzzle. They spread it out.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This was not a total crap shoot. Diabolique guaranteed getting the puzzle edition if you pre-ordered by a certain date. They therefore must have known how many copies they were getting with puzzles.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Then if that's true, they should have had the site display a sold out message upon reaching said number in the pre order stage. No other site had this guaranteed.

So I suggest that anybody that received Pieces without the puzzle that they 100% pre ordered from Diabolikdvd should send the Blu-ray back and ask for a refund. Then go buy the Blu again from some other retailer. Devoid Diabolikdvd of the profits on this sale. Maybe next time they will be more careful on what they advertise. This is what I would do.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Diabolik has a strict no return policy. All sales are final.

10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

True but they did guarantee the puzzle if you ordered before a certain date. Guarantee is a guarantee. That's legally binding language.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hrm, I didn't realize the soundtrack was loose in there, so I'm no longer certain if there's a puzzle or not in my copy. It's like Schrödinger's cat. As long as I haven't confirmed I do or don't have the puzzle I may still; as opposed to a certainty that I may not have it at all.

Workshed likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Angelman has a point. Plus if you paid by credit card. Have the charge removed, then send the item back. Never give them any business again.

From the site:

"8. Why buy from you guys and not a big corporate store that might charge a buck or two less?

Because we care about you and and we are active members of the film community. We are a small business. While we may not have the buying power of a big chain or internet mega-store, we kill them for selection and service and we are people who bust our asses to do our best for you. When you support independent businesses you do yourself a service by keeping variety and selection thriving and keeping people like you employed!"

Right there in print. I'm sure they would want to uphold those statements, no?

hots4 likes this.
  13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Yes, lets screw over one the best companies out there servicing genre film fans. Diabolikdvd was %100 clear about what needed to be done to get the puzzle. No one got screwed. I suspect that many of the people bitching about not having the puzzle actually do have it. They just haven't bothered to open the box to see it tucked in the jewel case. Your railing against Diabolikdvd is ridiculous baggio.

I can't imagine why these small companies put up with all the drama and BS genre film fans generate. It can't lucrative enough to deal with you people.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Hold on there. First off, I never bought the Blu. I'm giving my opinion on the situation. Second, they are not I repeat NOT the the be-all and end-all company in buying horror movies. Although I've personally purchased items from them before, I could have easily bought the same items at other stores. In fact, I would say the last few orders from them in my case were rushed, only to find out I could have purchased said items cheaper elsewhere. That I take full responsibility on my part for not shopping wisely. Any item I bought from them in the past was delivered timely & safely. I got what I paid for, no complaints.

What you seem to be avoiding(and completely not understanding) here is that pre orders were GUARANTEED. You said it yourself.
    But .... People following the instructions DID NOT get what they paid for. (relying only on the trust of what people here said they did. I have no reason to believe someone here on this forum would lie about pre ordering Pieces) Bottom line, it was an innocent retail decision mistake by them. Any reputable company big or small would own up on it. This is how businesses stay around for years, customer satisfaction is key.

Sorry, you are 100% wrong in your assessment of this situation.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I got my puzzle from DeepDiscount, so I haven't really been following. But from what I understand, the people who didn't get theirs and are upset ordered from Amazon, not Diabolik.

Diabolik did explain the cut-off date when the pre-order went up. Whether or not they stuck to it, can't say.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

To clarify, these are the facts so everyone can stop rehashing the same misinformation that's been covered in this thread numerous times: The people who pre-ordered and didn't get a puzzle pre-ordered from Amazon, not DiabolikDVD. That's where the "complaints" are coming up as pre-ordering from Amazon did NOT guarantee you a puzzle. Both Grindhouse and DiabolikDVD confirmed the only way to pre-order and guarantee a puzzle was if pre-ordering from DiabolikDVD before January 23rd. This was expressly stated on the pre-order listing on DiabolikDVD's website, as well as on Facebook for both DiabolikDVD's page and Grindhouse Releasing's page in multiple posts since the original announcement of the release. And DiabolikDVD even stated via Facebook when the VHSCollector vid first went live that they shipped out copies WITH the puzzle to pre-orders that were placed AFTER the 23rd as they actually had more stock WITH PUZZLES than the total pre-orders placed by the cut off date, so they shipped the remaining ones until they ran out.

Katatonia and Kim Bruun like this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I got the places(retailer) all mixed up. I apologize. I only started mentioning DiabolikDVD because russweiss(no I'm not blaming you) stated something about them. Plus I do remember someone in this thread saying they didn't get their puzzle from DiabolikDVD. Originally I was talking in general then got caught up talking about DiabolikDVD.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

After thinking about the situation for a few minutes I came to realize this interesting detail about Grindhouse Releasing.

Their site dated 12/14/2015 the detail on the movie. And says order now from DiabolikDVD. (with the link) Then the details say:

– First 3000 units include an actual jigsaw puzzle! Strictly limited to 3000 units!

Well wouldn't that lead someone to believe that DiabolikDVD is A) the only seller of this release and B) the first 3000 get the puzzle. Their own facebook repeatedly promotes only this retailer on this one film.

Why not say other stores will have the film & the puzzle too but there's a guarantee on pre orders from DiabolikDVD only. That's not what they said:

"Have you ordered Grindhouse Releasing's 3-disc deluxe Blu-ray edition of PIECES yet? DiabolikDVD.com is offering it at the special preorder price of just $27.99 until the 23rd, and if you preorder by this date we are guaranteeing you will receive the special Limited Edition Puzzle!"

This is misleading the customer that only DiabolikDVD will have this puzzle. They were too busy in their "deal" with DiabolikDVD to promote it's on sale everywhere. The deal was to drive sales to one site on the assumption that they had the puzzle.

AND..............

If everyone followed the "rules" as they say on their Facebook and pre ordered it correctly(before the date and all) at Diabolik, what would have happened if 3000 people ordered the film there?

Were 3000 people going to get the GUARANTEED puzzle? Obviously not. How could they when not all 3000 were at only one store.

This is just bad marketing of a release. Hopefully this will never happen again.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I really have no stake in all of this because I don't like this movie enough to want to upgrade my DVD but I think the thing to take away from all of this drama is that Grindhouse should have just ponied up the extra 5 cents per copy, or whatever likely negligible amount it would have cost, to include the extra cardboard and ink with all copies. Either that or they should have done the release like the limited An American Hippie in Israel release with the extra DVD where the limited copies were numbered and an unlimited run wasn't done until pretty much every store had sold out of the limited edition. If memory serves, this seemed to work for that title as I don't really remember any drama over that release.

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I simply mentioned that Diabolik guaranteed getting a puzzle if you ordered by a certain date. Due to that I pre-ordered them and I did get a puzzle. I have never had an issue with Diabolik.

Kim Bruun likes this.