Grindhouse

Discussion in 'General' started by Mortis, Feb 2, 2006.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Sweet!
    Great to hear about Machette being there, one down 3 or 4 to go. If for some reason the dvd don't have it, then the torrent goes to work.:)

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I saw this picture in a magazine... it wasn't in the movie... but that funny/annoying ambulance guy was getting torn apart... hope that is in the movie now! :):)

3. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

From www.hobowithashotgun.com:

10/10/2007
    Grindhouse DVD/ Hobo with a Script

"Great news! We just signed a license agreement for the “Hobo With A Shotgun” Trailer with Dimension Films. They have plans to include it on a future “Box Set” release of Grindhouse later next year.

The First draft of the feature Hobo With A Shotgun script is complete. Lets all raise our shotguns to get this film made!"

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Oh Agent Z thanks for posting that as that's JUST what I want to hear. That and RR's comment about the complete set on the Planet Terror DVD are giving me hope for that complete set for sure. Gimme that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2007
  5. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Robert Rodriguez mentioned in his 10 minute film school thing on disc 2 of Planet Terror that the special edition of Grindhouse is coming soon... Yay!
    Yeah... there is extra gore... quite a bit... and the missing reel is still as it is... written that way... and that funny/annoying paramedic guy's death scene is back in... getting torn up... by Zoe Bell no less!! :):)

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

For those who have the $5 off coupon, don't forget to use it! I totally forgot about it until I read a post elsewhere.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Well, according to FutureShops' website, it looks like they are not getting a steelbook version like they did with Death Proof..... I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

So if there is no steelbook version there, would someone mind picking me up a BestBuy steelbook version if FS does not have it here? I will gladly pay for the cost of the DVD + shipping. I'll let you know tomorrow when I find out.

8. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

I could have sworn the Future Shop Flyer did say they were getting a Steel book edition for Planet Terro, but I could be wrong.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Those who haven't picked up Death Proof, there is a $5 off coupon included with Planet Terror.

Also, the dvd IS 1.85.

The audience audio track is quite interesting. I wonder if something like that will be included for the Grindhouse release next year.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Oh HELL YES.

edit: I never saw the "Hobo" trailer.

11. bigdaddyhorse

You can easily see it on youtube which is where I saw it.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They had it. Picked it up.

13. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

Does the Canadian DVD have the coupon as well?

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

While I have my scanner out and working. :D

Here is an interiew that was published in the Ocotber 07 issue of Empire - an "okay" publication on DVD over here.

[​IMG]

Interesting read, imo.

As suspected, this takes the lid off some smoke and mirrors. The Weinsteins were tlaking about breaking up the movie even before the cameras turned. They were all in on the decision to break it up, and the longer versions were always going to be ready for the first set of DVDs.

Again, I've shrunk this up, but hopefully it's readbale for those interested.

15. bigdaddyhorse

It's readable, but I think I sprained an eye.;)

I'm really looking forward to Machette, they just have to make that! Have to! Fuck!:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Sin City 2 is also high on the list. I could easily do without a Barberella remake, sounds like it's slowing up the good shit.:confused:

16. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

The futureshop steelbook is in-store only and no coupons

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Thanks for the read, dwatts. I don't think many people knew what to make of Grindhouse--from the Weinsteins, to Marketing, to moviegoers, hence its box office performance. Just a strange combination of elements that did not translate to instant success. You can put all the big names into a project, but if the project doesn't have that special massive appeal, I guess we found out it won't work--financially.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

bloody-disgusting.com reported on Machete from the Spike TV Scream awards. If I recall, it was Danny T. saying they are going ahead with it, but, I've been reading that for awhile now.

19. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

:cry:

Sorry man, I compressed the hell out of it to make things easier to download. Alter the zoom on this page and its get okay. Just okay. :D

20. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Ok, my thoughts on Grindhouse - like a million months after everyone has seen both films :)

I never got to enjoy the full-theatrical experience, which is a shame because I think that would have been a blast. I saw Death Proof first and really, really loved it. I was very surprised at how much I loved it. I thought it was exceptional filmmaking all-over, with great performances and characters and some amazing stunts. The dialogue-heavy moments didn't bother me at all since I really liked Tarantino's writing in this film. Really funny stuff. The characters in this film were just great, I was sooooo rooting for the girls.

And then there was Planet Terror.

I don't know what to say about Planet Terror. It's kind of critic-immune because it's a "bad" movie by design, but really ... that's just a lame excuse. There's some brilliant stuff in it. It's fun, but it could have been more fun. It's like an exercise in great moments and scenes that are never fully realized. I've had this same problem with a lot of Rodriguez's films. From Dusk Til Dawn and Once Upon a Time In Mexico had that same incomplete feel to them. Like he had a few good ideas but didn't really know how to string them together. And for this film, he didn't even try. Just excuses the fact with the "it's supposed to be bad" claim.

Very disappointing. Now, I'm not saying that it should have been a "good" film. I like it that it's supposed to be bad. But creating camp is a tricky thing to do and there's a thin line between parody and pastiche, and I don't think Rodriguez stayed on the right side all of the time. For example, as much as I love and adore the image of Rose McGowan with a machine-gun leg, the fact that her character is such a non-entity and completely uninteresting really takes most of the coolness away. That plus her boyfriend character, played, sans-charisma, by non-actor Freddie Rodriguez, is not badass in any way, kind of diminishes the effect I'm guessing Rodriguez was trying to achieve. I'm willing to believe that the dialogue and story were intentionally bad, but I know Rodriguez wants his characters and his films to be supercool. And it just doesn't work in this film.

For me, the only interesting characters in the film were Marley Shelton's and Josh Brolin's husband and wife characters. Their scenes were lots of fun in an over-the-top-yet-very-effective kind of way. Those scenes caught me off guard and really worked effectively, while the McGowan-Rodriguez stuff was totally by-the-numbers wannabe-coolness that fell flat.

So while I enjoyed Planet Terror, it didn't leave anything behind. It was a big flashy and empty exercise that simply didn't work, cool gore and visuals aside.