Grindhouse

Discussion in 'General' started by Mortis, Feb 2, 2006.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Planet Terror is best watched with an audience.

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

My late, late, late Grindhouse reviews based on the viewing of the DVDs (Planet Terror has yet to see the light of day in the UK at the cinema!):

Planet Terror

Despite its creativity, "Planet Terror" left me feeling unsatisfied. Director Rodriguez fills the movie with explosive action, laughs and some very visual (and gory) jokes but the result isn't quite the sum of its parts.

While "Planet Terror" is a treat for genre fans with appearances by Michael Biehn and Tom Savini alongside countless other familiar faces, its deliberately beat-up presentation removes the viewer from the action. While I fully appreciate what the intention of the film is setting out to do, its missing reel, "scratched" appearance and jumps frustrate rather than add realism to the proceedings.

Rose McGowan steals the show as heroine Cherry Darling. Every scene with McGowan is a delight and she sizzles on screen.

The music is great and Carpenter fans may recognise snippets from the "Escape From New York" soundtrack.

Perhaps on a repeat viewing I'll appreciate this film more. However, at this time, I can only give it 7 out of 10. Well worth a viewing but it's essential that you watch it in the right mood. "Death Proof", by comparison, is the superior installment.

Death Proof

"Death Proof", in its uncut, stand-alone format, takes a while to warm up. There's plenty of character development in the early scenes as we're introduced to Jungle Julia (the gorgeous Sydney Tamiia Poitier) and her friends. Vanessa Ferlito is the central girl in these scenes and captures the mood perfectly. When she's introduced to Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell), her fear is portrayed perfectly.

The first half of the film is deliberately jumpy and covered in scratches and noise. "Death Proof" really does look like part of an old grindhouse double-bill but there are nods to the present day (i.e. the use of a mobile 'phone to text a boyfriend). It's great stuff - authentic and strangely absorbing.

Following a dramatic set-piece that will stay with the viewer forever, we meet the second gang of chicks with attitude. This second-half is a more polished affair as we see Rosario Dawson and her friends enjoying life. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is great as the beautiful young model and Tracie Thoms is spot-on as the strong-willed Kim. However, it's Zoe Bell who will really be remembered. In her role of stunt-girl Zoe, she performs in truly edge-of-seat action scenes aboard a charging car.

A great film and one that really starts to gel as it progresses. The soundtrack is fantastic and the actors are all thoroughly watchable. I was left feeling very impressed with "Death Proof" (and more than a little smitten by Ms. Dawson).

Kurt Russell is as good as ever as Stuntman Mike. He really is bad, mad and dangerous-to-know and his presence in the early scenes is remarkably unsettling yet darkly humorous.

9 out of 10. I'm really looking forward to watching this film again...

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Just read that Empire interview. Good read.

My favorite part was Rodriguez saying somebody should have given David Fincher scissors because Zodiac was overlong.

Now THAT'S funny!

4. I must be the only one who thought Death Proof sucked. Aside from the Stuntman Mike sequences, the film was just plain awful. Way too much talk and nowhere near enough action.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

No you're not the only one. There's plenty of us. I tried to watch it alone with a friend last month and I couldn't even finish it up. It seemed so, so much worse without any warm-up. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Maybe I should just get the Planet Terror DVD and move on. I really don't think I can sit through Death Proof again.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2007
  6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

There are people who hate Planet Terror, as well as the Death Proof protesters.

Then there are people like me, who love both films as much as winning a lifetime supply of pumpkin pie.

I am actually trying to cut a custom Grindhouse dvd, with both films sammiching some trailers of my own choosing.

Something to get me over until the boxset arrives in 2008.

*fingers and toes crossed*

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

As a big fan of Planet Terror when it was shown in Grindhouse, I was a little surprised by my reaction to it as a single, extended release. I wasn't as wow'd by it. There were still plenty of rewind moments, and I cracked up throughout, but I was more impressed by the extended Death Proof , which was the opposite when I saw Grindhouse.

Like pi said, I dug the nurse/doctor plot, but Freddy Rodriguez just could not carry his. I really laughed at the scooter bit, but I wanted much more lovely McGowan gun-leg action than Freddy knife slashin'. I still love the plot-jump during the missing reel and all the fun in the hospital, etc., and those Crazy Babysitter Twins, and the splatter splatter, but it was still sort of a come-down for me. I'll watch this cut again, though--easily and happily--to see if maybe my attitude needed an adjustment.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm with you there. And I really love pumpkin pie. Hahaha.

9. MorallySound

I just stumbled across this picture while doing an image search for a DVD cover not even remotely related to Grindhouse.... and what's with the 'second bellybutton' halfway up her stomach......

[​IMG]

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You noticed the gun leg, right? :lol:

11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

12. MorallySound

I did. But still. Maybe it's from something else that happened.

13. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

From RZ's blog:
    How many of you would like to see a full length movie of WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS?

From Bloody-disgusting.com:
    I got an official statement this morning from Rob Zombie's camp regarding the news that hit the web last night. Yesterday Zombie asked on his blog, "How many of you would like to see a full length movie of WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS?" The original was created as a faux trailer used in the middle of Dimension's Grindhouse, which featured a film by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. Zombie's camp tells us officially, "We are strongly considering doing this film." We'll keep you updated on anything official. Nazi, guns, werewolves and more... sounds like Indiana Jones on steroids!

----

All I have to say is, Where in the fuck is Machete?!?!?!?!

14. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I wouldn't mind seeing a full length version, even though it was the lamest trailer.

15. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Fuck that... I want Thanksgiving, Don't and Machete first over that one... *shrugs*

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm always up for more Nazi's, I say bring it.

I was going to submit a trailer of a Nazisploitation movie for the Grindhouse contest but my lead actress decided to be in another state when I was going to film it. :( Can't exactly make a trailer without an SS girl.

17. MorallySound

I'd love to see a full-length Werewolf Women. Sure the trailer was the weakest, but a full-lenght movie will be A-OK in my books! I love the Ilsa flicks, so I'm sure this will be a good throwback. If it happens.

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'd be interested ONLY if Rob Zombie does NOT write or direct.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And Hobo With a Shotgun too.

20. Interesting news. This trailer seemed to have a little of that Ho1KC feel to it, in that it was generally goofy and very tongue-in-cheek. I would like to see what Zombie does with a movie that isn't supposed to be taken seriously after his experiences with the Devil's Rejects and Halloween, especially considering that I thought Ho1KC was way too corny and MTV-ish.