Guilty Pleasures: 1989

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Vote for your favorite 1989 movie

1. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death

2.6%
  2. The Fly II

28.9%
  3. The Horror Show

7.9%
  4. The Terror Within

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Psycho Cop

2.6%
  6. Curse II: The Bite

5.3%
  7. Howling V: The Rebirth

2.6%
  8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

26.3%
  9. Redneck Zombies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. The Return of Swamp Thing

5.3%
  11. The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Beware: Children at Play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Cutting Class

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Chopper Chicks in Zombietown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Zombie 4: After Death

7.9%
  16. C.H.U.D. II - Bud the Chud

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Memorial Valley Massacre

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Food of the Gods II

2.6%
  19. Hellgate

7.9%
  20. Violent Shit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

A list of Feature Films tagged "Horror" not rated higher than 4.9/10 (IMDb) released in 1989. These are the 20 most "popular" titles based on voting counts in this category.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Hellgate immediately jumped out to me. Easy choice. But then I saw Psycho Cop on the list. Uh... you're killing me...

Psycho Cop. What can I say, I love "pretty people in peril" movies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

I promised I wouldn't vote against a Friday earlier in this series, so I can't go back on it now. I really wanted to vote Bud the CHUD though. Gerrit Graham owns it. Always wanted to see Chopper Chicks in Zombietown. What a title. Can anyone vouch for it?

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hellgate!

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan would come in a close 2nd though.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Cannibal Women. It's not a horror movie, not even a parody of one (it's a parody of adventure films), but it's hilarious. You have a young Bill Maher, and the lovely Karen Mistal (who was on one of the first Fox shows ever, Beans Baxter). Great movie

6. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Well hell. I couldn't vote. I hate all the films on the list that I've seen.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I can't vote this time either. Either the movies I've seen are objectively good (Friday the 13th Part VIII, Bud the Chud) or objectively bad (The Horror Show, Howling V). Nothing to feel guilty about, either way. I feel like I should feel guilty for not enjoying Howling V more. But, they made a really lame movie.

If Girlfriend from Hell were on this list, I'd probably vote for that. That's a terrible movie that was almost not-that-bad. I friggin' knew those nuns were packin' the second they showed up onscreen. (Spoiler. Tee hee.) That movie needs to be remade.

Psycho Cop looks like a hoot!

Oh GOD- I can vouch for the fact that you'll fall asleep. It's one of the most boring movies you'll ever see. I'm not kidding. It has maybe the Worst Special Effects I've Ever Seen in a movie not shot-on-video. I never criticize special effects and this literally looks like silly-putty / pizza / cheese cloth glued/smeared on the zombies' faces. The music is terrible. It is like a mens' acapella group trying to hum ominously to a western-themed tune. And the actual recorded music itself is the cheapest, corniest shit I've ever heard. SITCOMS have more convincing fake-movies-on-TV stuff they shot for a given episode. The story is so dopey. And I mean DOPEY! House II looks like Shakespeare stone-cold serious by comparison. There are no characters worth liking. It's not weird. Or gory. Or spooky. Or raunchy. There's no hardcore lesbian smooching or anything like that, so the all-female biker gang angle kind of makes you wonder "why?" I know that sounds exploitative but I actually know gay women and getting to see women be badass yet show affection to one another which isn't just "you'll find a man later" pep-talk would be appreciated. It's not campy or thought-provoking. It's lame. LAME! And, remember who is telling you this. The same guy getting flack for defending Hellgate and The Video Dead. Though, if Ghoulies 3 is your idea of fun, it might actually be right up your alley.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I hate to agree with DVD fanatic but I absolutely agree with him on Chopper Chicks.

There's hardly any gore, no nudity, shitty looking zombies etc. Painfully boring.

9. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Food of the Gods 2,is a guilty pleasure favorite of mine. That giant kid telling the scientist to get the fuck out in the first few minutes is a hoot. Terrible film, but not boring and good for a laugh or two .

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Curse II: The Bite.

11. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Jason Takes Manhattan, I love the Friday the 13th series and while Part VIII was most definitely a badly executed idea its still alot of fun

12. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Which idea would that be? THE BUDGET? Something the writer-director could not control? Because, in case you didn't realize, that's the only reason Jason doesn't make it to New York until the last 25 minutes or so.

Unlike Jason Goes to Hell, which is the same shitty piece of garbage from the script stage as it is in its final form (uncut or not), the only reason people have to bitch about Part VIII is that they can't figure out how these films were financed.

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Had to go with JASON TAKES MANHATTAN. I had hated this movie since I saw it opening night--but somehow, eventually, I began to enjoy it. There's no reason (at all) for this turnaround but it exists.

15. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Think by the time Jason takes MANHATTAN came out, horror movies were just done by that point. The slasher craze was long over and the Friday series was just really wearing on and old hat.. Part 6 was the last entry I enjoyed.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Zombi 4. I love every single of of these Zombi movies. Howling V gave it a run for it's money though.

There were few others on the list that I like though: Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan, Beware: Children at Play, Memorial Valley Massacre, and Cutting Class.