Gurotesuku (Grotesque)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by f.ramses, Apr 19, 2010.

1. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Heard about this one a few months ago when I happened to walk by the TV while a news story about how it was either banned or about to be banned in the UK was on and, buying into the hype, decided to check it out when I had the chance. Didn't hear or see a single thing about the movie in the following months but saw it this weekend at Chiller and bought it. You pretty much know what you're getting into with this one, like the back of the box says it's pretty much just a Japanese clone of Saw and Hostel. The story is about these 2 people who are abducted while out on their first date. Basically they are told they will be tortured to test their will to live and if they're able to sexually arouse their captor with their suffering and will to live he will let them go. What follows is the torture, amputation, mutilation, etc... you'd expect from a movie like this. It's not great, gets a little boring at times, and it's not original but overall it was OK, I kind of expected a lot worse. (and I guess I could be saying it was OK because I expected a lot worse...) I guess what kind of made it for me was the last "challenge" that the guy had since I found it somewhat creative (in a demented sort of way) and pretty nasty! There's also a farily amusing sort of surprise towards the end that I kinda liked but I won't ruin it for those that intend to see this.
    I don't know about it's DVD availability, the disc I got is the unrated version released by Keris Video in Kuala Lumpur (no idea if it's legit...) and its in Korean with Chinese and English subs. Would have nice to have the original Japanese language but it's not like I'm going to be able to tell the difference. One funny thing I noticed with this movie is that imdb lists one of the alternate titles as “Martyrs 2”.
    Anyone else checked this out? Thoughts?

2. foller

foller Active Member

The uncut movie was available as an official DVD from Austria by Illusions Unlimited Film with German and Japanese Audio and optional German subtitles. The disc was limited to 2500 copies was sold out quickly.

Trailer:

http://www.terrorfeed.com/index.php?id=grotesquetrailer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

That's cool, thanks for adding the pic; that limited release has a better sleeve!

4. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Paper thin plot with gore for the hell of it. Worth watching once I guess, but nothing to write home about. I think the only reason why's its gotten so much press as of late is because of the UK banning, nothing more.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

this movie has also been released on the Shock label in Holland

6. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Watched it tonight. A few moments of originality but it's the usual Red Room / Guinea Pig-type film. Watched it on the heels of Red, White & Blue and it felt very flimsy in comparison!

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member