Halloween (2007) The Verdict.

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 1, 2007.

?

Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN was...

Poll closed Oct 2, 2007.
  1. Great

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Good

40 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Average

29 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Below average

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Awful

35 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I thought it was good.

2. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i voted below average. theres very little to recommend here aside from a few interesting cameos, and an occasional moment or 2 that made me smile. this is one of the biggest disappointments of the year, and in my opinion a big mistake.

3. Slow

Slow Guest

Voted great, because it was.

4. MrVess

MrVess Guest

There should be an "Uwe" option, too.
    Although "Uwe" and "Zombie" may soon become synonyms...

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I am surprised you wasted your time watching it MrVess. Or did you?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

This felt like another horror movie put out in recent years, meaning it didn't feel special. There were a lot of things I enjoyed, mostly the cameos from all the recognizable people and I was also pleasantly surprised with how much I liked Malcolm McDowell. Going in, I thought no one could top (or match) 'The Donald' but I really liked how he portrayed the role.

The kills were gross, graphic and disturbing... But so were the kills in a lot of other recent movies. Rob Zombie made a decent horror film but he did not reinvent the legend of Michael Meyers. He just made a better Halloween film than, say, Halloween: H2O or Halloween: Resurrection.

EDIT: As a little after thought, I have not seen the work print but am interested in doing so. Now that I've seen the film, I can check out all the spoilers previously posted to see what the difference is.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Interesting poll results and comments thus far. I'm not really in a hurry to see this one!

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

It's between average and good, but leans closer to average.

9. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I have to wait until October to see it as us in the UK have to wait (like always), but I'm going in open minded because I usually find I dont like alot of the horror films most people on here like anyway and I like the ones you dont like.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I just viewed the workprint and here are some thoughts:

-The use of the original Halloween music was decent, though the placement of the movie's title was cringe-inducing.

-I don't understand all of the Sheri Moon Zombie bashing that's going on; I thought her performance was very good. Same with Malcolm McDowell.

-The kid who played young Michael wasn't as annoying as I thought he was going to be, but I can totally see why people picked on him so much in the movie... he was a bit weird.

-William Forsythe was hilarious! Zombie tried to make him an abusive father but I couldn't help look at him as comic relief. "Bitch, I will SKULL FUCK THE SHIT OUTTA YOU!" :lol: :lol:

-I was upset that Dee Wallace Stone was killed. I love her. :(

-Unlike the original, the girls were annoying all around and I didn't care about them one bit.

-Why do all the guys in this movie have long hair?

-Most of the scenes in the second half were completely devoid of the suspense that made the original so great.

-I'm a bit confused about the time frame because everybody in this movie dresses in modern day clothing (which somewhat resembles 70's fashions), even in the beginning of the movie when Michael was a kid. If the second half of the movie is supposed to be present day, wouldn't the prologue have taken place in the early 90's? It certainly didn't look 90's.

-The shaking camerawork needed to stop like yesterday. Seriously, it's not realistic and it's giving me a headache. Yes, the point of view would be shaky and chaotic if we were the one being attacked, but since we are merely voyeurs to the action taking place, can't you at least keep the fucking camera steady? Also, the camera was zoomed in too close most of the time and that, combined with the shakiness and bad lighting, made it impossible to see anything during the chase scene near the end.

Overall I felt the film was pretty good. The first half was great and the second half was not so good, but it sort of balances out for me.

I realize that I viewed the workprint and apparently many things were changed for the final cut--hopefully for the better. I admit I'm curious as to what they changed and will probably go to see it in theaters before the run is over.

11. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

agree that there was too much long hair, and I really hated the look of Myers at both ages.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

So far 56% of us think this film is OK or better. So right now it looks like the minority is speaking up loudest. It also has a solid 6.8 rating at IMDB if you put any stock in that.

13. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I voted good. There are a lot of things I didn't like about this movie but if I don't compare it to any of the original Halloween films I think it is still a pretty decent horror film.

14. VenicuS

VenicuS Guest

I voted "Good". I wasn't expecting anything particularly mindblowing, and so I wasn't disappointed. I think that for the most part the changes between the workprint and the theatrical release were good changes, with the exception of the additional stuff involving Danny Trejo's character. It just seemed superfluous to me, and as such dragged it down a bit, but I do think that the theatrical ending is far better than the workprint.

As far as performances go, all the principals were decent, but I think Sherri Moon is a tad rough around the edges yet.

15. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Depends on the edges you're talking about...she looks nice and soft to moi. :D

16. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I voted "average". The first part was pretty decent, but the second half felt kind of rushed. Seemed like more of a re-cap of the original with some different elements thrown into the story...a little like the beginning of Evil Dead II.

I don't really think this one added anything to the series. I thought it was better than the last two Halloween sequels, but that's not saying much.

17. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Seriously, what's wrong with Sheri Moon's performance? I thought she was rather believable in the role. :confused:

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I thought she was great in the role too, especially when she dialed it back and was just sad for the loss of her son. I think *some* folks are just hatin' cause she is Rob's woman.

19. No kidding. As far as I can tell, she delivered an adequate--not bad, and maybe even on the good side--performance. I understand people not liking the movie, but I'm amazed that some people honestly say it is far worse than awful, or the worst movie they have ever seen.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I really liked Sherri when she was visiting Michael after the murders. Thought she did a great job of being a caring mother and when she walked in and saw what Mike had done to the nurse...loved her reaction.

The movie itself I would say was a high average or a low good. Decent slasher flick, not a good Halloween remake, but I think I shall round up and vote good because I think I'll like it better next time I watch it.