Halloween (2007) The Verdict.

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 1, 2007.

?

Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN was...

Poll closed Oct 2, 2007.
  1. Great

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Good

40 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Average

29 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Below average

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Awful

35 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

62% of us now think it's OK or better. It's aready getting better with age:)

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Haven't seen it yet, but I definitely will. I'm interested to see how much of the "Rob Zombie touch" this movie has. Interesting that such an in your face Director took on a remake of a horror flick that was originally pretty graphically tame.

3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I'll definitely check it out on video. Generally, when there's any significant number of people here who think a remake is good, it usually ends up being worth seeing.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I loved Sherri Moon's performance, thought she was great in The Devil's Rejects too.

5. Or 59% who think it's mediocre or worse. I like your numbers better, though. :)

6. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

went to the last showing last night....

I thought that parts of it were done incredibly well, then there were parts that were just embarrasing...I walked out before it was over, but there were probably only about 10 minutes left...I couldn't take the "I never knew you cared" speech...won't say anymore to avoid...um...spoilage.

Some observances:

I really like Danielle Harris, and would like to see her become a successful actress as an adult--she deserves to have decent roles come her way, but I didn't think she did anything special here, and hope she doesn't degrade into parts where she does nothing but show off her tits.

Dee Wallace was fabulous in this--again, she is an excellent actress who deserves to get good roles...While she did great with what she was given, she wasn't given much.

Sheri Moon did an amazing job once the scenes took place out side of the home...She plays trash pretty well, but the scenes at home were mostly a series of "fuck yous" that just about anyone could scream out and do a good job of looking trashy while doing so. (myself included) When she was visiting her little boy, I thought she was quite believeable, and she had me feeling for her character a lot in her last few scenes...So, I agree w/Ryan--don't know what all the bashing of her is about, I think she has the potential to be a great actress--would be nice to see what she can do with something outside of the horror genre (or at least a non-white trash role)

The girls were terrible. The original Annie and Linda may have been bimbos, but they had personality...I think both P.J. Soles and Nancy Loomis really need to both get some major credit for making the movie what it was, and I've always felt that they should have both gone on to much bigger and better things...

I did like the twist re: Annie's character....

Malcolm McDowell was annoying towards the end. Like I said, I walked out during a speech delivered to a certain bemasked individual that I couldn't bear to watch.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

So you walked out on a movie that you didn't hate, because of some annoying dialog? I guess should have walked on the original then because I've always cringed at most of Donald Pleasence's dialog.

8. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I just came home from seeing it and I am disappointed. Much of the dialogue throughout the film was pretty bad and even embarrassing at times. Overall the performances were weak especially McDowell. The girls in it were very annoying making it hard for me to care about their characters as I did in the original.

I really didn't care for the mask in this one. The mask from the original is still the best. I also didn't like the fact that Michael Myers had long hair as a child and as an adult.

The movie was like watching two seperate films. The first half was a prequal to the original and the second half was a remake. The formula didn't work for me at all.

I hope Rob Zombie goes back to the drawing board and creates something original and refreshing like we saw in House of 1,000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects.

9. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Ho1KC aka Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

10. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Yeah...pretty much sums it up...

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

This looks like it's going to be another Love or Hate it film, much like House of 1000 Corpses:)

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Not really. Most of the people seemed to vote in the good-average area. Hardly love it or hate it. More like "this movie was ok".

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I felt it was good. Same with the workprint. I think you could probably mix and mash the great scenes from both and come out with an awesome film.

14. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I find myself settling on "average" for the workprint, and "below average" with the theatrical cut.

The film has so many uneven qualities, but I really appreciated the experiment Rob took with Michael Myers, in making him a
    sympathetic monster, ala Frankenstein's monster.

I'm not saying that I prefer it to the original film's tone, as it's not even close in that regard, but it was interesting to see another perspective, even with all of the miscues that came with it.

Sidenote: While I feel that the workprint version is superior to the theatrical cut, I am glad that Zombie decided to drop
    Gary Coleman being the bully who got beaten to death with the tree branch.

Talk about an awkward early casting decision!

"WhatchuhittinmewiththatbranchforWillis?!?" :(

So glad they brought in Daryl Sabara and reshot that scene for the final cut!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  15. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

PLEASE tell me this really took place and exists. I have not seen the work print.

16. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

I found it somewhere between average and below average. One thing I did not like, was all the back story to Micheal. To me, that takes away the "boogeyman" aspect of it away that made the first film such a classic.

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

It's not in the workprint, sorry man.:(
    It may exist though.:)

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Nah Good is better then OK. I originally had OK listed Instead of average before the Mods changed it. Quite a few people had already voted above OK at the time. Good means it's a Good movie. Maybe not Love but OK means It was Alright, Average, Satisfactory, Mediocre.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Below average

Zombie managed to make a mockery of the franchise. Something only Busta Rhymes did prior to this film.

Congrats Rob, you win the trophy.

P.S. - 2 things learned, Rob like cameos & rape. Contents in all 3 of his films to date.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I watched Resurrection the other night after seeing the remake.

I think Busta Rhymes gets a bad "rap".

You can laugh now.