Halloween (2007) The Verdict.

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 1, 2007.

?

Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN was...

Poll closed Oct 2, 2007.
  1. Great

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Good

40 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Average

29 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Below average

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Awful

35 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and, uh, Tyra Banks has a nice "Shape".

Anybody? Hello?

Is this mike on?

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Your on a roll. Hey everybody, try the veal. :D

3. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Awful, just awful.

The thing that really killed this movie was the backstory and the editing. The backstory is derived (or inspired by) Zombie's previous The Devil's Rejects, but it works against the movie by removing what makes Michael so scary in the first place and why is Zombie is so fascinated with degrading women and white trailer trash? It's just many of the mistakes wrong with the remake.

And the editing... hoo boy, this is a case where a more seasoned, professional editor would've made the film a bit scary, if not suspenseful. The action scenes are cut up and incoherent, not to mention the death scenes were terribly inconsistent. While the quick cutting worked for 28 Weeks Later, the same technique doesn't work well in the remake of Halloween.

There were a few things I liked about the remake: the Michael mask, the music themes, Danielle Harris (and the twist involving her character), Malcolm McDowell and the numerous cameos. Too bad everything else was subpar or piss-poor. I'm not opposed to remakes, but this one is one of the worse remakes I've had the displeasure of seeing. A wasted opportunity.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

OK I just watched the Work Print. Earlier this week after choosing "Great" I kind of thought to myself I was being a bit generous. Now that I have seen the Work print I completely stand behind my rating. The work print I believe is the better version. It has a better flow, and it had an almost surreal like quality to it. I also like that it holds back on all those extra cameo appearances which in a way was distracting in the theatrical version. The film just made more sense. Why he killed the lady staff member at the asylum, why he was searching for his sister, everything just came together much smoother.

I just really thought it was a step up which is saying allot especially when I was already impressed with the theatrical version.

I don't know, for those who took an honest look at the film and still thought it was awful. Well you must really have a different idea then I do on what makes a good horror movie. Looking at the recent poll, I guess the Black Christmas remake is more up your ally. Personally I look for a bit more grit.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  5. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Yes, there were moments where I felt like I was in a giant bowl of corn flakes, which was being filled with milk.

It was a helpless (and delicious) feeling, to say the least. :(

6. after seeing this I felt tainted....like Rob Zombie rubbed his taint in my face and projected it across the country

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually I was eating raisin bran while I was watching it, that must have had in influence on my spelling.:)

8. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Member

Well below average, though I didn't expect much from the get go. I try to give Zombie a chance, but this movie blows( very interested in seeing the workprint though).Probably one of the worst endings I've ever seen. The movie has a few moments, but a few don't make up for the rest.When Laurie was trying to escape the Firefly, I mean Myers house,it just felt like we've seen it all before. I almost expected to see her in a bunny suit when she emerged.I don't know if it's just me or not, but the female victims really were brutalized in this movie. It seemed as if the male victims died pretty quick, while the women were tortured and suffered a lot more. Zombie is a huge and loyal horror fan, but it really does not show in his movies. I am torn as I had very low expectations for this movie, but I really wanted to like it and hoped I would be proven wrong. Oh well, wish in one hand, shit in the other.

9. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Well, I like the classic horror movies and for me, a good horror movie constitutes a good story, good pacing, good acting and a great score. I'm really not a gorehound, but I don't mind gore being in movies anyway, as long as it's not distracting or unneeded.

For all three of his remak-- er, movies, Zombie just seems to borrow plots from the some of the many '70s grindhouse movies in his collection (like Last House on the Left and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and pass them off as original stuff. Using the '70s grindhouse inspirations for the Halloween remake was a big mistake.

Personally, I would've preferred to see the guys behind the Final Destination movies handle a Halloween remake rather than Zombie.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I rated this below average. My wife kinda liked it, but she's in no rush to see it again. Haven't seen the workprint.

Some random thoughts:

Malcolm McDowell was excellent as Dr. Loomis. He literally looked as though he aged nearly twenty years in this film. Sheri Moon Zombie's performance was decent, but wasn't all that different personality wise from Baby Firefly. Will Sheri always be playing white trash centerfolds?

The great Danny Trejo is always welcome in just about any movie I watch, but I wished he was given more to do here. Daeg Faerch was beyond annoying as the young Michael and lacked any credibility. Tyler Mane did nothing for me as the adult Michael and would have been better suited to a Slipknot video or stepping back in the wrestling ring for a pay per view event.

The murders were really overdone. Way too many characters were eliminated with little or no purpose. The shaky camera and generically loud bombastic musical score from Tyler Bates during the killings was consistently dull & uninspiring. Didn't feel sympathy for most of Michael's victims.

Worst of all, I didn't find the film scary or suspenseful in the least bit. I loved Rob Zombie's first two films: House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. His grindhouse filmmaking style felt totally out of place in this remake.

11. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Normally I stay away from these threads until I've seen the movie but I just couldn't resist for this one. I have free tickets (any night, any theater) and I'm now wondering that even if the movie is free if it'll still be a waste of time and gas money to go.

12. latenite

latenite Guest

I put "good" but now I'm not sure. It was uneven. The backstory was bad, even embarrassing and/or unintentionally funny at points, but there were a few great scenes mixed in there. Too much bad writing, bad filmmaking, and bad acting in the first half of the movie. The closest thing Zombie has come to making a solid movie is House of 1,000 Corpses, ironic since it was his first movie.

The adult Myers portion of the movie was significantly better than the first half. Some of the teen killings were disappointing but the Danielle Harris half-dead scene was AWESOME - not because of the boobs but because of the sheer intensity and pain going on - and the movie really picked up after that. The theatrical ending was crap compared to the workprint but it still left me satisfied and more forgiving of the rather lousy first half of the movie. Overall, Zombie made some great writing decisions and really made some things work better emotionally than they did in the original. That is not to say this can in any way compare to the original, which is a masterpiece.

I haven't seen any of the Halloween sequels in awhile but I think this probably rates as my 2nd or 3rd favorite in the series.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The remake is so different that I can't rank it with ANY of the old series. It is what it is and that's all that it is.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

90% of Workprint < 90% of Theatrical
    Workprint Ending > Theatrical Ending

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I trusted the reviews/comments of my fellow posters when it came to DEVIL'S REJECTS and found that I completely disagreed with the majority of the reviews (which were favorable). I plan on renting this one for free when it comes out on DVD. Rob Zombie is a joke as a moviemaker; unfortunately for us, he didn't go the same route as Dee Snider.

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

Awful.

Is it ironic that the most professional looking photography in the film was the Super8 home video footage?

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Halloween (1978) was all about: Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Pleasence & 'Michael Myers'.
    Halloween (2007) was all about: 'Michael Myers', Sheri Moon Zombie & Malcolm McDowell.

Laurie Strode turned into a giggling supporting character. That was my only gripe with the remake. Other than that, I thought it was good.

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Now I like it even better :D

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

And you even less. :D

20. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

I don't mean this as a comment of disrespect to the people who genuinely enjoyed Zombie's Halloween film, but I've used the film as a way to find the reviewers who have no credibility whatsoever.

I don't really see how people can argue that this movie is good with a straight face. It's a train wreck from beginning to end. That being said, people can like whatever they want but that doesn't mean they can argue that the film is good.

It's kind of like, Plan 9 From Outer Space is undeniably an atrocity of cinema...but I like it. I can differentiate my personal feelings of enjoyment for a movie from the film itself. Halloween is just garbage as a film, and in my view anyway (again, no disrespect intended to people who liked it), anyone who says it's awesome and tries to defend it is an immediate red flag of "I know nothing about movies!" and should be regarded as such.

Look, I realize there are gray areas, but Halloween was so ungodly awful that there really is no excuse. I'm sure all arguments would stop if the film's supporters would say "yeah, taken on its own merits it sucks, but I liked it anyway". There, everyone is appeased and everyone knows where everyone is coming from.

But this is the internet and that isn't going to happen :D