Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

A friend and I bought two tickets for this, it’s premiering at TIFF on Saturday. Jamie Lee Curtis, John Carpenter, David Gordon Green and Nick Castle will be in attendance for a Q&A after.

Lol the two tickets also cost us $70 each.

I’m racking my brain trying to figure out what question to ask JLC...

~Matt

Natas and Workshed like this.
  2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I can think of one, but she'd probably slap you.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Love the H3 masks at the 1:56 mark.

Workshed and Angelman like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Another new Halloween trailer:

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Best trailer so far.

But I think I will stop watching them now, before they spoil too much ;)

Natas likes this.
  6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope the new U.S. trailer is misleading. Michael is most effective when he's kept on the periphery in the shadows. There are so many over-the-shoulder 1981 H2-style shots in this trailer that it feels like a Hitman-type video game where you ARE Michael.

I'm also concerned about the action/horror hybrid vibe I'm getting from every trailer. I guess it's too much to hope for slow-burn suspense in the era of the ADD generation. I get that movies need to be commercially viable, but...I'd really like to see something more faithful to the mood of the original.

I should probably just celebrate the fact that Zombie isn't involved and every male character doesn't have Wayne's World hair. But the hope that this might actually be good might have screwed up my expectations.

wago70 likes this.
  7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Fucking......Awesome.

8. CPT HOOK

"Hey Jamie, while you're here in Toronto, how about filming a Terror Train and Prom Night sequel 40 years later for 2020?"

Matt89 likes this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I had to stop the trailer 45 seconds in...... I'm good. Quite confident in the fact I'm gonna enjoy the fuck outa this movie. Don't need to see one more minute till show time, Jack.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually really liked the homage to H2 with the camera following Michael. I do hope it is mixed with him hiding in the shadows and barely in sight too.

I didn't really get the action horror vibe. I think the trailer was just showing how Laurie is pretty much the new Loomis now. That's how I saw it anyway.

buck135 and Steel76 like this.
  11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well I'll let you guys know how it is after I see it tonight. I think it looks really promising, and I think people wanting it to match the vibe of the first one are just going to be perpetually disappointed. It's not 1978 anymore, you're not gonna get a film like the original. The film industry has changed. In fact, I don't want a movie that matches the original. It's very much a product of its time and it's a masterpiece but I don't want a new movie that just replicates the original film. Also, Michael Myers is a pop culture icon at this point. Do we really need to never see him? Everyone knows who he is. It's not like he's some unidentified killer that's only revealed at the end.

Jamie Lee Curtis has been posting about Halloween all day on social media. She just checked into a hotel in Toronto, oh my god guys she's here! Haha.

Honestly I'm gonna shit myself tonight. Halloween is my favourite movie and John Carpenter is my favourite director. I'm beyond excited.

~Matt

hots4, Zombie Dude, dave13 and 4 others like this.
  12. CPT HOOK

Tell us everything (and tell us nothing)! Also, are you seeing anything else at TIFF?

I was in Charleston, SC on vacation about two weeks after they wrapped filming back in February, so I checked out some of the places where they reportedly filmed. I have pictures on my external hard drive, so if anyone is interested, remind me later and I'll post them.

One is the street where the kids are trick-or-treating in the trailer, specifically the new Mrs. Elrod's house. Really close to downtown Charleston. The other house was just across the bridge out of town, it's where Jamie Lee sees Michael in the window and shoots, but then he's gone. Had planned on going to the new Haddonfield High, but it was north of town and a bit out of the way.

Matt89 likes this.
  13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I just saw this at TIFF and liked it. Some fun moments. I love the original Halloween 2 and this new one definitely did not beat it, however.

There are some intentionally funny moments and some fun characters in the side stories which I liked better than where they took Jamie Lee Curtis's character. A good amount of violence.

Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Stige and hots4 like this.
  15. Stige

Stige Active Member

Hope this comes to blu/UHD fast (after theatrical of course)

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. CPT HOOK

October releases typically land in January.

I rarely see movies theatrically more than once, but thanks to AMC A-List I expect I'll be seeing this one at least twice before it leaves theaters.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It is the best Halloween sequel that’s ever been made. Hands down. I was so impressed with this movie, it’s paced perfectly, it’s set-up so well, there’s tons of little references to the other films (I was able to catch about 7 or 8 of them at least), there’s bits of humor that really work.

There’s one long take that is so incredibly well-done. It’s as stylish as the original, and retains a lot of the tone of the original film, and is still gory (and wow the kills are just vicious) but never overly so.

Fuck I can’t wait to see it again. It got really really positive feedback from the audience. There were screams, people jumped at the jump scares, laughed in all the right places.

Oh and favorite part about the Q&A after the screening: Jamie Lee gets announced and she comes onstage, takes the microphone and pauses for a second before saying, “.....Happy Halloween motherfuckers.”

The audience went wild. I go to tiff every year and this is the best screening (and most fun) that I’ve probably been to at the festival.

~Matt

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Okay, Matt89 - point taken. Looking forward to it.

Matt89 likes this.
  20. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

hmm, the Suspiria remake getting not universally shitted on, a Halloween sequel that's quite good, the tides of horror are changing!