Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

You've wrote pages upon pages upon pages on your opinion on remakes. We get it. There isn't one friggin film maker on this Earth that would have gotten this opportunity that you wouldn't be a Negative Nancy over.

"He ahhhhhh, didn't ahhhhhh end up making Suspiria.........soooo yeah ah, fuck him. Obviously 2018 Halloween is gonna suck" We get it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

You don't get pinwheels.

But thanks for your 2 cents on what/where/how I'm allowed to post. I think I'll buy myself a fuck to give, because it turns out I was fresh out today.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Observe & Report, great underappreciated dark comedy. Most of the "newer" actors in that movie, their careers have improved since that film came out.

Natas likes this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

"Have you ever seen an unhappy person on a Ski-Doo?"

Ptflea2 likes this.
  5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Don't forget, William Peter Blatty wrote screenplays for comedies. His work includes the Peter Sellers classic, A Shot in the Dark.

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Bob Clark of Black Christmas fame also did a lot of comedy like Porkys.

buck135 and Steel76 like this.
  9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It does, but maybe Carpenter wants the story to start where he left it off. That being said, picking up after H2 pigeonholes the series into the whole Laurie Strode is Michael Myers's sister storyline. I'd rather they picked it up after H1.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This ^.

Carpenter has repeatedly discussed his distaste for H2. He didn't want it made. But, being the practical guy he is, he was going to get his piece of the pie if it was going forward no matter what. His thoughts on the script he delivered have appeared in numerous interviews over the years. He thought it was terrible, and he admitted the sister angle was born of total writer's block and desperation.

The fact that Zombie is apparently the only man on Earth who didn't see how much the sister wrinkle neutered the series and limited future sequel options is just another nail in the coffin of his contributions. The sister angle took Michael out of the realm of myth and made him just an ordinary psychotic in a mask. Worse, future adventures had to revolve around extended family or the house he grew up in.

There are actually some interesting graphic novel storylines that have nothing to do with Laurie Strode, close in spirit to this animated pitch:

The Michael of the original is NOT a normal human. Giving him ordinary human motivation, especially to the extent that Zombie did, kills the "he could now be anywhere" vibe that made the ending of the original so scary and disturbing.

I love Carpenter, but I'm cynical about the true level of his interest in this project. Do I expect it to be better than anything we've gotten since H4? I'd cautiously say "yes." Maybe JC is finally sick of the dreck the original has spawned in recent years. I guess it's also possible that his disgust with Zombie is driving him to produce something superior:

The whole clip is hilarious, but skip to 2:18 if you want to get right to the meat.

I sincerely hope that the new film is good. Fingers crossed.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

So?

I'm actually kinda re-invested in this idea as a whole so long as this won't be a remake of the original film. If it's going to be a follow-up to another sequel (be it 1981's Halloween II or 1982's Season of the Witch), I'm all for it.

12. Natas

To be honest, in regards to the story line, I'm really not that concerned. As long as it's not in the same ball park as Resurrection, I'm sure it'll be OK. I just want to see Michael on the big screen fucking shit up with Carpenter's score in the background. I hope it's violent. I hope it's filmed with long sustained shots similar to the original..... and I kind of hope they use relatively unknown or smaller actors. The cast really could make or break this one the more that I think about it.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

More violent than the 1978 original? More in the vein of Return, where Michael used his hands more than the knife?

14. Natas

Well, one of the factors that I felt really worked for Zombie's two Halloween films, were the fact the violence was turned up. Way up. H2 especially....for all it's faults, it's a pretty fucking brutal flick. Ironically, I feel the opposite is what worked so well with the original. If I were to guess, I would say that 2018s version will probably fall somewhere in between in this regard. But my first instinct is, I think I wanna see more of the Zombie-esk style blood with some cringe worthy deaths. Not saying a more simple/subtle approach won't work either though. Just damned excited to find out.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Brief update:

http://www.avclub.com/article/danny-mcbride-says-michael-myers-wont-be-immortal--255309

Natas and Steel76 like this.
  16. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

These are strange comments, since the end of Carpenter's Halloween unequivocally debunks this interpretation. First, Loomis states definitively that Michael IS the boogeyman. Then Michael disappears after getting shot repeatedly and falling off a 2nd-story balcony. Carpenter still doesn't leave anything to chance. The final montage plainly shows that Micheal is still out there stalking. How do you miss all of that plus Loomis's earlier speeches about pure evil? Or the fact that Nick Castle's character is billed as THE SHAPE?

I agree that Michael became too much like Jason as the series progressed, so I don't totally disagree with the approach they're taking. But that doesn't change the fact that they're totally misinterpreting Carpenter's depiction of the character.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

So is this going to be a sequel to the Rosenthal/Carpenter H2 in the way H20 was? Or is this another reboot starting from scratch?

18. Zombie Dude

They were my thoughts as well. Has this guy even seen Halloween? Obviously not if he thinks Michael Myers and supernatural don't go together. This sounds more like it's treading on Rob Zombie's version of the character than anything else.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Before assuming that Michael Myers and the supernatural go hand in hand, I believe that a strong case can be made that Dr. Loomis is nearly as crazy as Michael is. Myers wouldn't be the first person in the world to get shot multiple times and live. Of course, in the real world he'd probably get as far as the next street over before keeling over from bloodloss.

20. Zombie Dude

Don't forget he also cops a sewing meddle to the neck and coat hanger to the eye. And he's referred to as The Shape in the credits, not Michael Myers. Seems Carpenter was going for a more supernatural vibe than human.