Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You have to ignore a lot more than Loomis's speeches in order to make the case that Myers is an ordinary dude. The ending clearly suggests otherwise.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That is your interpretation. It certainly isn't absolute. I never said he was an "ordinary dude". Clearly he is insane and has a high pain threshold and running on adrenaline. Everything he does in the movie is still within the capabilities of a human being. That, I believe, was also Carpenter's intent. You can choose to take Loomis' side... or not. Ultimately there is nothing in the film that definitively says that he is supernatural.

Natas likes this.
  3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'll stop short of saying that you're WRONG, but the bulk of the evidence isn't on your side. Forget Loomis and focus on Carpenter's decisions. Did Carpenter purposely eschew any type of characterization that would have humanized Michael? Yes. Did Carpenter call the grown-up character "The Shape" instead of Michael? Yes. Does Michael absorb more punishment than a human could reasonably endure--especially after remaining almost completely immobile for 15 years? Yes. Does Michael appear to have abnormal abilities to move unseen, cause doors to open on their own, etc? Yes. Does Carpenter indisputably suggest that The Shape could be anywhere in the final montage? Yes. Did Carpenter's script spend a substantial amount of time introducing and developing the idea that Michael is the boogeyman--from Tommy and Laurie's perspectives as well as Loomis's? Yes.

I'll stop because I know you're unlikely to change your mind. Is everything you mentioned POSSIBLE? Sure. But you're choosing to ignore an awful lot of subtext.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't know, I always felt the ending highly suggested he was no normal human. Regardless, if he was human he wouldn't be around for this "reboot" after being shot that many times in the chest.

5. maybrick

I'm really not ignoring anything, merely everything "supernatural" we know about Michael comes from Dr. Loomis, who comes across as kind of unhinged in his own right. As far as stylistics chosen by Carpenter go: Yeah, it's a horror movie. His intention is to scare you. All of the supposed evidence of the supernatural is merely suggested, just as it is in a lot of horror classics. Kind of like The Haunting where you never really know if Hill House is haunted or if everything is just happening within the main character's mind.

6. Zombie Dude

Interesting viewpoint. Your definitely the first person I know of to view it that way but it's always interesting to hear other peoples takes on things like this.

7. maybrick

I think that Halloween is far more effective as a horror film because the supernatural element isn't carved in stone. If there was actual evidence in the film then it likely wouldn't be half as scary, it would just wind up being kind of cheesy.

8. Zombie Dude

Actually, come to think of it, no one mentioned how Michael got Judith Myers tombstone from the graveyard all the way up into the bedroom of (Annie's?) house by himself... Supernatural confirmed :p

9. maybrick

The Myers' family cheaped out on the headstone. A real one would have collapsed the bed frame. ;)

zbinks and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Dave

Dave Pimp

What a cluster. H20 skips 3-6 and now this? Does anyone just not care anymore? And just go watch the originals instead? That's what I do with Friday the 13th. You can recapture that 80s magic...so I stopped hoping for it. Cellphones and their dead batteries / no signal kind of kill it for me.

ronnie21 and fceurich39 like this.
  11. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Super natural.......human being.......... I'm at the point where I really just wanna see Michael on the big screen. I couldn't be more excited reading all the updates from McBride and co.

It is a good debate on the original Halloween. It is one of the reasons why I enjoy Zombie's Halloween so much. I love the first act showing Michael's very human childhood.
    We're also talking low budget horror..........let's not forget to leave the logic at the door lol How did Michael carry that tombstone up the stairs by himself? Pretty sure Carpenter just wanted that cool shot of it on the bed. Doubt it has to do with anything more than simply that.

Steel76 and maybrick like this.
  12. maybrick

Didn't he kill a mechanic by the train tracks? He could have used his tow truck to remove the gravestone from the cemetery and then afterwards returned to using the stolen station wagon because it's more undercover than driving around a neighborhood in a tow truck all day.

Still doesn't explain the mystery of how he got it in the house though.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. maybrick

I definitely think a lot of things are done in horror films that have less to do with reason than effect.

Steel76 likes this.
  14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of shit happening in movies, that doesn't get explained.
    It was just another cool and visual scene.

I never thought of Michael as supernatural, in the original.
    Just a crazy psycho that could take a beating.

And him vanishing at the end, well, maybe he just crawled away, out of sight?

It's in the sequels though, that things get a bit strange.
    Especially how he comes back, after getting shot in the eyes, and burned to crisps :D

maybrick and Natas like this.
  15. Natas

Yes. I feel the same about the original.

The only time I really felt it was kinda ridiculous Michael survived was in part 4 when the redneck mob unloads about 20 buckshots in him. I can look past the shot to the eye and burning.....as Loomis states "they never found the body" :D but he got wrecked by multiple bullets/shotgun blasts. Even if he was wearing a bullet proof vest, I don't think any human would survive.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. maybrick

Also, it would really kill the atmosphere and flow of the film if Carpenter included a scene where Michael used an appliance dolly stolen from the hardware store to lug the stone up the stairs.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

More updates:

Sounds like a plan.

Steel76 and Natas like this.
  18. Natas

You beat me to it! I loved this bit in the article I just read....... "watching all the movies constantly" and McBride saying they're working on this 'full time' makes me very happy and excited.

McBride said he and Green have immersed themselves in the "Halloween" franchise, watching all the movies constantly to create a story that gives the fans the core aspects that they've craved since John Carpenter created the first movie back in 1978, but with a more grounded feel than the recent movies in the franchise.

Workshed likes this.
  19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Interesting debate. It never occurred to me that the first film was supernatural in any way. Just the heightened reality that we see in so many horror films.

Workshed and maybrick like this.
  20. Zombie Dude

I don't know, I feel like there was always something not quite human about Myers. The guy keeps getting up every time he's knocked down and rises like some sort of Frankenstein's monster. He can lift a grown man off the floor and stab him into a wall, steal a tombstone (which baffles even the movie characters) etc. I think the right angle for the rehash to take would be to keep that aspect there but not confirm it like later sequels did.