Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's not his to call anyway is it? I didn't think he own the rights? Like previously said, if ending if fairly final, if it makes good money they will always find a way to bring him back.

2. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Even if the movie is terrible (which I don't think it will be), billing it as the "final Halloween" and having John Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis involved virtually guarantees it will make lots of money. So they will inevitably have another installment...they won't be able to let a potential cash cow end like that.

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Maybe in his eyes and with his involvement, sure. But yeah, final Halloween...unlikely.

buck135 likes this.
  4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

If this film makes its money back in its opening weekend, they'll be in pre-production for the next movie before Monday is over.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That may be a bit of an exaggeration. Rob Zombie’s Halloween II, and the remakes of Friday the 13th, Dawn of the Dead, and The Evil Dead all did that and we’re still waiting. We may or may not get another one in the future, but honestly after 40 years I think all of these franchises are at the end of their economically viable lifespans in much the same way that Universal didn’t keep making gothic horror films into the 50s (nevermind the 70s or 80s).

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Good points, though horror films are much more successful of late. The Conjuring universe ($1 billion overall), Get Out and IT all have done better than expected. Studio's can make enormous profits very quickly with horror right now. I can't help but to think of how bad it was in the nineties (not to say there weren't good horror films during that decade).

If this Halloween does well, I think NOES and F13 won't be far behind. The NOES and F13 reboots just didn't seem to meet the studio's expectations.

I'd love to see another Englund/Langenkamp NOES and Hodder F13. I don't care that Robert Englund just said that he's too old to play Freddy anymore. He'd accept that offer faster than any of us would.

Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  7. maybrick

I'm unsure why you think the 90s was so bad. Early on, yes, but the mainstream's appetite for horror has never really subsided since the release of Scream back in 1996, and the lesson that Hollywood can make money very quickly with this genre was learned with The Blair Witch Project. Horror as a genre being popular or unpopular wasn't my point. My point is that trends come and then they go. Ideas become stale. Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Kruger, etc... they were the stuff of nightmares in my youth. Today they've become quaint. Us old timers may love these franchises, but expecting them to still be HUGE in the marketplace is probably about as naive as thinking that some dinosaur rock act from the 70s could reform and still make it to #1 on the pop charts. Sure, anything is possible, but it's unlikely.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Halloween could be huge if done right. Carpenter and Curtis on board will get many butts in the theater seats. If the movie blows, it will fall alongside its many sequels. I brought up IT because there is a market for good nostalgic horror.

The nineties had some amazing horror films (Sixth Sense, Mouth of Madness, Jacob's Ladder, etc). The slasher films of the eighties just dried up and it took Scream to get non genre fans interested in horror. I've said here before that the hardest of the big three to do nowadays was Halloween just because society has changed so much. NOES has limitless potential with dreams and F13 would still work because people still blindly go off into areas without cell service. These films if written well would make a fortune. All of the reboots were poorly written and terribly cast (for the most part).

As far as music, U2, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones still sell out stadiums (the hell with the charts). Pink Floyd could easily do the same. Just like the films, if it's good people will want to be there for it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. maybrick

U2, AC/DC, and the Rolling Stones never broke up though, and their main draw is still the music they put out over 30 years ago. Nobody gives a shit about their new material. They fill seats, but so does revival showings of the original Halloween. That doesn’t make them relevant to a wider audience necessarily.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't why anyone would think horror characters like Freddy, Jason and Michael would go away forever. They are part of pop culture now. Just look at comics and the superhero genre some of those characters are super old and others are obscure yet they are very popular. Especially the big names. Superman has been around since the late 30's and is still around and popular.
    These horror characters aren't going away, not forever.

buck135 likes this.
  11. maybrick

Superheroes are big... NOW. That doesn’t mean that anybody will care in 20 years. And you have to understand that comic book sales are in the bin compared to what they once were. A lot of these movies are mining storylines that are decades old. That is saying a lot about the age of their core audience.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I think superhero films are here to stay. There are so many characters to explore and countless storylines as you mentioned. I can't imagine what the movie industry would be like without Marvel, DC and Star Wars right now. Many people scoff at WB pushing Wonder Woman for Best Picture, Director and Actress. While it isn't a great film in my opinion, it's going to be the first superhero film many children ever see. The fact that it's the first female led superhero film is a big deal in that regard. The Dark Knight is already 10 years old, and it is still reveared. I think it's safe to assume they will still be a big deal 20 years from now.

I understand the fatigue many have with these films. I'll always be excited about Batman films and those are never going anywhere. Getting back to Halloween, this will not be the last of Michael Myers.

Some comics sell exceptionally well. The recent issue where Batman proposed to Catwoman sold out four repressings. The first issue of Harley and Ivy meet Betty and Veronica sold out. I collect all things Poison Ivy, so I was pleasantly surprised. She is also in Batgirl and the Birds of Prey which DC can't give away (granted the artwork sucks).

It's all cyclical. If the story is good, people will absorb it because we want entertainment for the top dollar we're paying.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. maybrick

If the history of cinema tells us anything, it is that nothing is permanent. I’m sure that once upon a time there were a lot of people that thought that Westerns would be here forever, too. Everything has its time.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thank goodness for that. Westerns (though I love Westworld), chick flicks and musicals are like kryptonite to me. I can't get away fast enough.

hots4 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Yeah I personally can't get into westerns for the most part.

16. maybrick

Thank God for the Space Race, right? Without it I dont know if it would ever have gone away.

17. Zombie Dude

Mmm, space is good. I like it.

buck135 likes this.