Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

From that poster, Michael looks tired and ready for bed, but notices he's on the clock. Slowly gets up from his reclined Lazy-Boy. "Fuck it, gotta go kill some teenagers."

Copyboy and Workshed like this.
  2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

...which is totally appropriate for a 63-year old man.

Workshed, Ptflea2 and Myron Breck like this.
  3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Should he be holding a rose or something? The expression, totally inappropriate and not scary, looks forlorn. The poster for NOAH (2014) was enough to give one nightmares for crying out loud.
    They could have nixed the close-up and then added something to the picture that slyly references the original film. Michael looking longingly at a bloody knife or a snapshot of Laurie...SOMETHING.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I like Halloween 1&2. I like the poster. Feels very modern, as I would expect.

Franco likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think the new poster is blah, but I still feel really good about the movie. I love that Carpenter, Curtis, and Castle are back, and I love that at the same time they're also going back to the basics (teens, Haddonfield High, etc). Also love the choice of David Gordon Green. Super interesting choice.

The weird thing about horror franchise sequels is regardless of if they're good or bad, they instantly become favorites. I've conditioned myself into loving movies like Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers or Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation because I usually marathon the franchises every year or two. When you see them enough, they sort of become comfort movies. Even movies I don't especially care for like Jason Goes To Hell or Halloween: Resurrection, I've probably seen more than some standalone horror films I love. It's weird and hard to explain. Doesn't help that they're also on TV non-stop for the entire month of October, so on top of the regular viewings you also see them in bits and pieces.

A marathon of the Halloween franchise is a guarantee for me every October (although some years I stop at H20). When you watch them that frequently, you get to see what holds up to repeat viewings. If you asked me when I was younger, I would have easily said Halloween II is my favorite sequel, but there are things about it that don't quite hold up on the umpteenth viewing. For instance, the scene with the security guard Mr. Garrett goes on forever and brings the movie to a screeching halt. I also love H20, and would consider that one of my favorite sequels.

Yet after so many viewings, I've kind of found that Halloween 4 and 5 are the two that hold up best to repeat viewings and have become my favorite sequels. I used to prefer Halloween 4, but at this time I'd easily consider Halloween 5 to be my favorite of any of the sequels. I head over heels love it, it's so much fun and has a perfect mix of camp value and genuine slasher movie thrills. The Tower Farm sequence is maybe my favorite sequence of ANY movie in the franchise. Every time I watch the movie, I just have a big goofy smile on my face from beginning to end.

There were three young adult novels by Kelly O'Rourke based on the Halloween movies, and I always thought it would be fun to adapt those cheaply (ala the Blumhouse model) in between the major entries, especially so we don't have to wait 9 years between Halloween movies again. They definitely have their corny moments, but that could easily be fixed in adapting them, and the books themselves are really quite good! My favorite is The Old Myers Place, where a family with a teenage daughter moves into the Myers house, unaware that Mikey comes home every October. Has some terrific slasher set pieces, including an overnight teen party in a shopping mall and two girls being stalked in a graveyard on Halloween night. The idea of someone moving into the Myers place is so perfect in it's simplicity.

Another reason I'm looking forward to the new Halloween is that I was vacationing in Charleston about two weeks after they wrapped and visited some of the filming locations. It's always fun to sort of have a geography of everything and see places you've been on the big screen. For instance, in the opening of Halloween: H20 after Michael kills Nurse Marion, he drives away into a cul-de-sac.

Anyway, yeah, can't wait. Ramble over.

fceurich39, wago70 and Natas like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

The trailer was screened at CinemaCon about an hour or so ago. I expect it'll be online soon?

Workshed likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

Apparently it won't be for another month or two. Just a sneak peek for con goers.

FB_IMG_1524759835084.jpg

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

There was a description on Dark Horizons but I didn't read it. This will be one of those movies I check out without seeing a single frame. I'll probably pass on seeing the posters as well until after the movie.

Myron Breck likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I heard the trailer is still a month or two away. I look forward to seeing how this looks. I've already been surprised that they borrowed from Rob Zombie with the aged mask.

10. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

But what can they really do that hasn't already been done before in the original and Halloween II?? really. don't expect to be blown away with something original...

wago70 likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Let me be the first to express major disappointment about that mask. It looks nothing like the original Don Post mask, and not much like what that mask looked like after aging and shrinking. MANY indie masks are far superior to this one.

It really pisses me off. It would be so easy to get this right for once.

wago70 likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

It looks kind of similar to the original to me. It's growing on me.

Triler drops Friday so that should be cool to finally see what they're going for.

Steel76 and Natas like this.
  14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think the mask looks all right. Distressed. Michael's been through some shit. His mask should reflect that.

15. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

The second shot of The Shape standing in the closet looks great I think. The close up not so much. But these are only a couple of stills and the mask could look different in action.

16. shape22

The closet pic looks all right. They obviously went for a 1981 H2 look, and, from a distance, it looks passable. But the closer diagonal pic shows how subpar the sculpt actually is. This series has seen a whole lot of ridiculously different masks, I understand people have different tastes, and I don't pretend to speak for everyone. My point is, the filmmakers have gone all-out to connect this film back to the original, yet they used a mask that's not remotely similar. If better masks weren't available, I'd grudgingly accept this. But essentially, they paid an undoubtedly huge sum for someone to create something that's supposed to be authentic-looking (to the original Hero mask), but isn't. There are just some of the indie masks that could have been chosen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

This update to the plot comes via USA Today and reads:

The new Halloween brings back Laurie and Michael but also leans into pop culture’s current fascination with true crime (see also: Making a Murderer, Serial). A British documentary crew comes to the States to visit Michael in prison for a retrospective of the maniac’s night of terror but their project becomes way more interesting when Myers escapes custody, retrieves his signature mask and seeks revenge on Laurie, with others naturally being part of his impressive career body count along the way.”

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  18. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I doubt the director doesn't know about all the masks available. He obviously chose the particular mask in the movie for his own aesthetic reasons. No matter how much of a direct sequel this is, a new director will always want to put their own stamp on it. And honestly, as the mask looks decent enough I'm happy. They could have had Michael pick a mask up from the hardware store like in H4... and we all know how good THAT mask was ha.

Natas and shape22 like this.
  19. Zombie Dude

That sounds pretty awful. I hope that's not the case.

othervoice1 likes this.
  20. shape22

I'm not nearly contrary enough to disagree with that. Ha.

Myron Breck and Buechlers_beard like this.