Halloween 25th Ann. out at Best Buy!!

Discussion in 'General' started by dvdfan, Jul 31, 2003.

1. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Well, I'll probably be picking this up for the documentary and commentary, but still consider my THX version to be the definitive transfer.

One note, the new one DOES look a lot like the Criterion LD colorwise.

But since Carpenter specifically mentions the use of blue tints, and its also obvious that Argento was a major influence on the movie, I'll stick by the assertation that the 1999 THX version is the proper one.

When I was watching my AB 1999 THX, I was actually quite surprised by the depth of color in it. This was the first time I'd ever seen "Halloween" in widescreen, and all of the other times I had seen it, it was on an old VHS rental with a ragged case. The image on that looked so washed out and faded that it wouldn't have been a stretch to pass it off as black and white.

So as long as I can own both, the color on the one won't bother me that much.

2. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Yes, there are only great reviews on this site. When it was going to be christmas and I was expecting my CHANGELING dvd, all I did was read the review. I read the Halloween review: superb. Whoever thinks it was a terrific review saw "aye"

AYE!

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I do appreciate the speed at which the new review was posted. My concerns - if I have any - about the reviews on this site is that they USALLY take so long, and there just arn't enough of them covering a wide enough scope of films (there are some obvious gaps, such as films like Cannibal Apocalypse, for instance).

Not to bash Dave and the gang, obviously they do a good job and they have other things to do rather than punch out reviews. When we do get a timely review, it's probably NOT a good time to bash the site.

4. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'm not giving in and letting AB fuck with everything.

Carpenter said he wanted the tint. Why fuck with it?

They better look out if they fuck up the Dawn set.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I personally think we all need to thank Dave for his effort to put this review up in a timelly manner.With all the bitchin going on here at least he took the time to give us a great review and it should be up to the buyer if he or she wants to personally pic the disk up.Anyone who takes 24 hours of there personal time to try and help is to be commended.THANKS DAVE!!!!! ;)

6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I have nothing against the reviews. I love reading the reviews here. They've helped me choose quite a few discs.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Thanks for the great review Dave, you saved me around $20.
    I'm sticking with my LE & LD until I can get this used for around $5.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I thought dave's review was friggin great. I'll probably still get this DVD eventually, I'm just putting it off right now for the stuff I want more.

9. Latency

Latency Guest

Great review Dave!!!! As always. With such a sharp clean transfer it's tough to decide ........ I will probably not go for this disc. I have the Standalone 1999 version which looks great besides some print damage throughout the film. I am sure AB will release another version with a sharp transfer and original lighting and colors (and probaby the rest of the exttras found on the Citerion LD). I'm waiting AB ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2003
  10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I'll probably get this since it will be cheap at best Buy. Thanks for the review Dave!
    Oh also when Revoltor said:
    "Anyway, the naysayers better sure as hell only watch this movie in mono if they're gonna complain about the picture."

I think he meant if people are gonna bitch about the video not being true to the directors intent then they should also be listening to the audio as it was intended to be (mono). In other words people want the video to look exactly as it did when it first came out in theaters so they should also want the sound to be exactly like it was too. Whatever.

Anyways, thanks again for the review it was great.

11. Latency

Latency Guest

Did they provide a mono track for the disc ?

12. marcx

marcx New Member

Wow-just got back from aweekend trip wondering if there'd be any new info--thanks for posting this review so quick Dave!! With all the conflicting opinions floating around the net Ill be picking this up Tuesday to see for myself...

13. Pukenstein

Pukenstein New Member

Read this over at HTF, who knows if it's true.

Hey gang, I heard from the Carpenter camp today and was told Carpenter was *not* involved with the new transfer, however he has "no thoughts" on the matter

14. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

They paid him to keep his mouth shut. :D

15. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

:lol:

16. newt

newt Guest

He cares more about money than his "art". Nothing wrong with that:rolleyes:

17. marcx

marcx New Member

That's a little harsh since we really have no idea how much input if any Carpenter had withthis and if he's even seen the new transfer. Regardless Im holding off on further comments on this whole thing till I see the transfer for myself. I have the xtended DVD so I figure that coupled with the 25th will be a pretty complete Halloween set...

18. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

im sure if youd listened to some of his commentaries and stuff youd realise that he cares more about making a movie the way he wants etc is more important to him than anything else..

19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah, of all the people I find it really silly to say that about Carpenter. The man at least tries his damn hardest to get the film he wants out of the production.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

And for the most part he does. Carpenter is the coolest film maker out there in my opinion.